#10 St Francis de Agressi - up to 2021 round 2

Hurley is garbage and has been for yonks.

1 Like

You know, the kid has unquestionable talent, most would agree. Yet he doesnā€™t seem to be able to make it click down back. Maybe we have to bite the bullet, cross out ā€˜defenceā€™ for Francis, and concentrate on his tank and on other positions that will benefit from his particular skills - reading the play, great mark, physical strength, short but quick burst of speed.

4 Likes

Most defenders are made to look ordinary when the ball is living in your defence / lack of midfield pressure allowing easy transition / entries.

We were all over the shop for most of year

IIRC Hurley was seen as one of our best versus Pies when we actually had a fully committed team defensively and weā€™re not allowing Pies any freedom

1 Like

Francis isnā€™t a KPD. His nearest competition is Ridley. I wouldnā€™t call Ridley a KPD either.
Zerk and the new guys will be looking to cover Hooker and Hurley.

1 Like

Iā€™m so glad the draft is over. Now we can go back to bagging out our existing players.

11 Likes

pretty sure no one is bagging him - thereā€™s just people who think heā€™s not up to it and to be fair, its probably the most likely outcome as it sits

3 Likes

He plays a good game when he doesnā€™t have to cover a forward and just mops up loose in deep defence. A very likeable bloke but probably just holding on top spot because of lack of list pressure.

1 Like

Play him and Ridley on the HBF and watch them intercept mark and control the game from there. No point wasting him as a lock down defender (which doesnā€™t play to his strengths) when we have Ambrose, BZT, McBride, Hurley, Hooker.

3 Likes

but i never stopped?

donā€™t have to go back if you never stop

3 Likes

Francis is 23 years old and has played 35 games for us.
At his best heā€™s a good intercept marker and an attacking defender who tries to open
up the game with his brave kicking. He is primed for a breakout season.
I think he will surprise and delight many fans next year.

11 Likes

BZT is not ahead of Francis, if anything BZT is in trouble now that we have Cox and Reid.

Iā€™ve said it on the Draft thread people have too quickly forgotten Francis was our best player in the elimination final against West Coast. The kid can play he is a natural talent and yes he may have some issues with his tank but he is a gifted footballer.

With all his talent he will come good. Not sure why people have such high expectations given his issues early on.
We all just need to lay off and remember the kid hasnā€™t even played 40 games yet.

13 Likes

Ridley is now in complete control of the only role he is able to play.

People have rose-tinted glasses when they look at Francis.

He is in far more trouble than Zerk is.

8 Likes

I would force him to play forward. There is no other avenue for getting into our side (baring a Ridley injury).

3 Likes

Itā€™s all about perception, I see Francis as a genuine footballer, that had some issues and am prepared to see him string some consistently good games.

Weā€™ve seen snippets, from Francis far more than from BZT.

But like I said, itā€™s all about perception.

3 Likes

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but I reckon he needs to own the back pocket.

Itā€™s a hole that needs filling and, although heā€™s taller than your typical back pocket, heā€™s got the acceleration to go with smaller types.

Plus, not many smalls would be able to match him for strength and in the air.

Worth a crack.

5 Likes

Yep, tend to agree with these. Play both Ridley and Francis as non-KPD in the back 6. We donā€™t really have any decents smalls there anyway, donā€™t necessarily see Hind walking straight in/being a success there.

FB: Francis BZT Smith/Hind/Redman
HB: Heppell Hurley Ridley

Remember when he put together 4-6 weeks of really good football in the second half of 2018? He was marking everything and that final Port game was outstanding. Otherwise heā€™s been mostly rubbish, canā€™t build a career off a month. Heā€™s not a lockdown defender. Heā€™s not a forward. Heā€™s either a rebounding defender or heā€™s playing local leagues. He has enough tools at his disposal, but outside that 2018 patch his career has been mostly a few good moments cobbled with disappointment. Sad to see how such an exciting prospect is not barely even mentioned in future sides.

6 Likes

I am still on Aaron Francis Island
-and Iā€™m buying up all the vacant lots and dilapidated abandoned properties
-and Iā€™m building myself a huge castle
-and Iā€™m not leaving, even if I get lonely
-and when you keyboard warriors all come CRAWLING BACK YOUā€™RE GOING TO HAVE TO SLEEP IN THE ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  GUEST HOUSE

I look forward to it.

17 Likes

Weā€™ll send you food parcels :wink:

1 Like

Sometimes the goldfish memories here are a worry.
Anyone remember why Francis wasnā€™t picked last year- back spasms after Rd 4, and a hammy against Richmond that finished him for the year.
His form as a KPB wasnā€™t that bad, and certainly on a par, or better than Zerks

I get the Francis frustration- he could be so much better than heā€™s shown.
Then again some might remember Dean Wallis (and for the younger brigade, in his first few seasons Wallis was amazingly skilled- not the bruiser he became known as)
So all is not lost. Yet.

5 Likes