#11 David Zaharakis - Surviving full-Ironmans

that might sound good and all, but this was the club’s least successful period, and the bar wasn’t set very high at all

His Brownlow vote career total is between the average for a No 1 draft pick and a Number 2 draft pick. You know you have to be better than the opposition as well as your own team, to get those…

9 Likes

Still reckon he would have been a 15-20 posession, 1-2 goal a game forward if we had bothered to play him there.

It was set so low in fact that among the players he beat out for the 2011 Crichton medal was … [checks notes] … Jobe Watson, who got 15 Brownlow votes that year and would win the Brownlow the very next season. And that was a year we (just) made finals too, so it’s not like we were cellar dwellers either. Are you calling out Merrett’s Crichton win last year as being a worthless Bradbury from an inferior player too? Cos the two seasons were almost equal results-wise.

Fk me the sheer magnitude of historical revisionism that people will sink to in order to justify ■■■■■■■■ on Zaka never ceases to boggle my mind.

28 Likes

Zaka was one of the first names on the team sheet for a long time which spoke volumes about how average we were, and the lack of any finals win spoke volumes too. Zaka wouldn’t get anywhere near a starting spot in this current team, and I for one am thankful of Rutten for getting rid of the list clogger - onwards and upwards

If Dees cop an injury i can see them selecting Zaka he wasn’t brought in as just a top up imo

Reckon Zaka wouldn’t have joined Casey if he didn’t think he wasn’t a shot at winning a flag wth Melbourne imo

Please Nino.

They have to be down to 28 selectable players for anyone on that ‘covid top up list’ to get a game. It’s insurance and nothing more. He’s finished.

7 Likes

So Melbourne cant select him unless they are down to 28 players

hmmm didn’t know that

Bidsy pls

3 Likes

LOL. Zaka in his mid-twenties would walk into the current team ahead of a number of players.

6 Likes

Which alternative name are you ?

Ha now that’s a laugh

And onto the ignore list.

4 Likes

The B&F that year was a bit of a last man standing affair. Zaka played pretty much the whole season while many of our better players missed a lot of footy due to injury. Getting on the park week in week out does work in a players favour the way voting is done.

Personally I thought his seasons in in 12 & 13 were of a much higher standard than 11 however in 12 he had a quad injury that caused him to miss a big chunk of the season and in 13 he had a fractured vertabrae where he missed a few weeks. When he came back from that particular injury he wasn"t much good for the remainder of the season and by then the saga rot had set in amongst the playing group.

Not particularly.
14 guys played 18+ games, 7 guys played every game. So a reasonable field.
From memory it was a very close finish, Hurley I think had the best votes per game, ended up 2nd or 3rd.

2012 was when Hird brought in Dank & Weapon and broke everyone. Bit hard to argue anyone who’s peak years coincided with Hird’s tenure had “luck” on their side. Poor bastards.

Thompson brought in Weapon who then brought in Dank, Hird just said yes, check with everyone first.

2 Likes

Ex-AFL star David Zaharakis has signed up for a reality TV show

Behind a paywall. What nonsense is this?

1 Like

Call out to @Speedy_Gonzales, please post if you can and it’s worthwhile.

Thank you.

Gonna miss a finals series for it, must be worth his while.

Hoping it’s “I’m a celebrity get me out of here”

But the timing doesn’t really match up for that.

Oh OK, know the show but never watched it.