#11 David Zaharakis - Surviving half-Ironmans

Yeah 100% spot on. I think when the rest of the team is playing really physical football Zaka can get away with not doing it. All teams have a guy like that. He’s still very valuable in my opinion.

1 Like

He is valuable. And hes never going to change. That’s the way he is. But you can arguably only carry a guy like that if their in good form and contributing. Zaka has been woeful so far, as our most experienced midfielder, he needs to literally, harden up and be a leader. I find his performance on the weekend bemusing after his interview during the week. Literally said that what he was saying means nothing unless they put it into action. To come out the following week and squib contests after saying all that kinda jargon, is poor leadership

I doubt he’ll be dropped. He deserves to be, but he won’t be, and il give him one more opportunity to walk the walk on Friday night. Not just me, but a lot of eyes are on him. Its time to shutup, and deliver. That goes for the rest of the team

2 Likes

I actually saw him put in a legit chase down the wing on the weekend. He didn’t quite catch the guy but he was at top speed and closed from distance. What was upsetting is I don’t think I have ever seen him do that before. He is the master of the half arsed jog chase which never really threatens the ball carrier.

This is an area which had been lacking across the board in the last two weeks. We really need to ramp up the intent in our pressure rather than just going through the motions.

2 Likes

Yep, he had two opponents and was way out of position.

Supported Essendon as a kid. He stays in.

2 Likes

He’s a microcosm of Essendon of the past 15 years, of which this is his 11th season at the club. Shows flashes of brilliance from time to time, but too often goes missing when it matters. He’s never been challenged for his spot in the team and has largely played the game on his terms. A club with strong leadership and culture would’ve dropped him at some point in the last 4-5 years, which may have jolted him into action to become a more team oriented player and one who goes when it’s his turn to go (I mean in terms of putting his body on the line). There were several instances where he shirked body contact, and some of his tackling efforts were feeble to say the least.

He’s not the only one who could do with a spell in the VFL to spark them into action. It’s time the club made the tough calls at the selection table instead of playing favourites and dropping the same blokes over and over again (Parish, Langford).

5 Likes

2015 Rd.2 v Hawthorn

Brad Hill, along the boundary, 3rd qtr I think, Hawks kicking right of screen.
This was the famous Hooker winning goal game.
Fk that was a good game !

1 Like

He had one opponent and that was a small forward pocket. All the commentators noted that Zaharakis had the best initial position, but then his poor marking craft meant he was outpositioned. Also his effort to maintain that position and then also effort once outpositioned was poor. His opponent is not known as a strong one on one mark, but he was made to look very good by an ordinary effort.

1 Like

I will look again

Are you on your way to Perth yet to look me up?

8 Likes

It wasn’t a strong effort but it was two small players on each other. They both had forward momentum, and Zaka went one step too far before propping. Whether he misjudged a slightly outswinging kick or what ho knows but the saints guy at that point just had to hold. It wasn’t his best but it wasn’t a choice not to be there which you could argue Shiel chose not to do 4 seconds earlier. 179 cm winger gets beaten in marking contest…

Plenty have and plenty do. Rioli did it in the GF and had Jetta give him a pep talk and not to worry about it. Rioli has talked about it since.

1:40:54

I’m greatly relieved someone can site another example in his 10 year career…

1 Like

Has the ability and physical attributes to be a game turner gut runner like Winderlich, but he’s more like Stinkerlich

Zaharakis makes Caleb Daniel look like Fletcher.

Bounced back well tonight.

His link up play was important

1 Like

He was also going in harder and tackling well. Glad he responded.

2 Likes

Rapt for Zakka, awesome.

1 Like

That’s the Zaka we want to see.

3 Likes

Much better. Don’t have to be a bull but he applied a decent level of physical intent tonight.

3 Likes