#11 David Zaharakis - Surviving half-Ironmans

Keyboard warriors love nothing more than calling a player soft or a choker. It’s their opium so let them be. You don’t play elite AFL if you are soft.

9 Likes

Drugs are bad

or the fact he cant kick over 30m these days

Has anyone at Essendon played elite AFL recently?

So James Hird is a keyboard warrior?

1 Like

Didn’t say zaka was soft.
Hirdy said he loved zaka like a son and sometimes they wanted him to go harder at the contest.

Then keyboard warriors jumped on this and interpreted ‘sometimes’ as meaning he is ‘soft’.

1 Like

The way that Lloyd kick swings back for a goal at the end, I swear he was blessed

1 Like

which implies that he is soft at times

James Hird would be happy to say exactly, verbatim, his quoted mostly-positive-with-a-gentle-dig words directly to Zaka.

Whereas a keyboard warrior…

3 Likes

The thing with Zaka is that he performs better when he’s the one of top 3 go-to guys in the midfield…like a lot of players who are given more opportunity in the centre. The games where we’ve seen him pick up 30 and kick 2 are when he’s played as an onballer. The problem is we have other guys better at this role so we try to push him to the wings/flanks more which can be harder to find consistency.

He’s now a role player and I was quite happy how he adjusted to his new part down back. He absolutely improved his hardness/tackling/one percent acts around the footy this year which comes with the territory of being a backman. Won’t be expected to be a star but we have a bloke who is now versatile enough to play roles through HB/wing/HF.

4 Likes

From the man himself on the pros and cons.
Has had some injury issues.
Rehab was going well, but stuck at home and couldn’t travel.
He had afew complications from the first surgery, had to get the pins removed (tightrope and pins were rubbing against back of ankle/achilles.
Also had to get plantar fascia released which was a pre existing injury (that was in mid october).
Back into rehab.
Was in at the club the first day with his rehab, new coaches exciting.
Potentially 2-3 weeks is when he will be running.
on the Alter G this week. (treadmill strap around waist and it lifts you up and you select how much % body weight you want to run on) Potentiallly 70%
Different preseason as he hasnt been away travelling.

If hes running in 2-3 weeks time wont be missing any training, just some football sessions.

16 Likes

Awesome, love ya Zaka.

So he didn’t make a point of saying something positive about Skipworth?

1 Like

Didn’t get a full pre season

1 Like

From the Pod Pros and Cons. (Interview with Scotty Lucas & Winston Rous (from a player mangers view)

Zaka has started running on the grass, so should be right to do most of the running sessions in the preseason including Mondays.

did 10 x 100’s on grass
Has previously done 3 sessions on the alter G.

Fitness levels, probably not great after 3 months since injury and limited running, still lean though.

Last year housed Brayden Ham and Noah Gown for a week until they found arrangements.
was prepared to do again this year, but we got victorian recruits so he wasnt needed.

He reminisced with his draft year…sat around a radio and listened to the whole draft.
He heard his number and everyone erupted, didnt even hear his name get called out.

Zaharakis is ■■■■■■ soft, stop the sugar coating crap.
Voss, Archer, Hodge, Selwood are hard at it players, holy crap we have no one on the list who give it their all like the 4 players I just mentioned, maybe Smith is the only one who tries as hard.

2 Likes

you cant have a team full of enforcers.

Brisbane Lions had Voss, Scotts but they also had Lappin and Luke Power. Who would be comparitive to Zaka.

Ambrose/Francis are hard nuts.

We do lack a inside bull though, thats why I wouldnt have been that upset if we got SPP
We need our rucks to throw their weight around.

We need every forward to lay a bump on Stratton next time the Hawks play us.

In the line in the sand match…Hirdy was having a chat to Joel smith up the other end of the ground.

The more AFL hardened bodies the better

Just replying to someone saying Zaka isn’t soft. I understand the different types of players and rolls they can play within a team.

I heard he’s the salad type.