#13 Nik Cox

That’s a terrible analogy. The EPL isn’t comparable to AFL at all because its a billion dollar league where you have relegation. Of course nobody is going to develop kids for the future when it could mean relegation, even if it would be good for their development. And when most of the time you’re buying players rather than developing them, it changes all of the incentives as well. Especially when top teams buy-out the talent, and then don’t play them as they’ve got mature teams chasing trophies. Whereas an AFL team gets rebuilding actually benefits from a poor finish, so that doesn’t have to factor into the decision on whether to play kids.

Even other sports aren’t really comparable, as the US ones although they have a draft a lot of the development occurs at the College level before they’re recruited. I’m not aware of any comparable team sport.

1 Like

I think he’d be a great defender. His reach and closing speed would be almost impossible to beat. His bodywork would need to improve, but even now he’d give athletic tall forwards a really tough time.

1 Like

If they do play him as a wing or half back, he really needs to be coached to take the game on more.

When he did it he looked great but so often he would make good position to take an outlet mark at half back and then would go just back, take his time, and then make a very conservative option by foot.

Needs to play on more for a start and then use these great foot skills we heard about during the draft.

Disagree, I think Cox can join that group of Mass and Hind and even provide a point of difference as an aerial threat to turn defence into attack.

Long term I don’t see his position there (HBF) but to get him up to speed, playing defence is easier in that the ball naturally comes to you.

I can’t make my mind up on where he will play moving forward.

I do remember in 2021 he came on as sub against freo and basically sat behind the ball as a spare.

Looked very good that day. I remember people on the blitz match voting page were giving him 3 votes and it ■■■■■■ some off coz he only played a quarter :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Agree. I also think he can be explosive on the run from the backline.

He showed some of that early days but then we probably blunted that by playing him on a wing where he had to gitnrin all day.

This is an example of what many here call poor development. Playing him wing and stints in the ruck was premature and he ended up injured.

What was his average this year?

This year he was injured and came back in unfit and spent a lot of time forward. Its not really relevant to the form hes shown on the wing.

He did play 9 games though.
13.8 average disposals is poor. He will need to pull his finger out this year . I can see other players going past him, if they haven’t already.

Its about average for a forward and is dragged down by his rd 1 game when he was injured before disposing of the ball. Not really a good reflection of his ability when fit and playing wing.

3 Likes

So surgery for Cox in late February it is then?

If you ignore his round 1 game he got injured in, Langford averaged 15.5 possessions and 1.25 goals playing exclusively forward. Which I suspect would put him in good but not great company. 1.25 goals a game puts him about 55th in the league last year.

NFL is arguably a better comparison. The College system is an incredible development vehicle where 18-22 year compete with similar sized and experienced players. I don’t know the average age of entry onto an NFL list but I am guessing it’s much higher than the AFL?

Ah, that makes it a much much worse comparison. Of course NFL won’t play 18 year olds to develop alongside the seniors when players only join at 21-23.

So all we need to do is convince a few thousand young people every year to sign up for 4 years of unpaid work.

I wouldn’t hold your breath waiting for a return email, if I were you.

Fair enough except Durham. I think he is a heart and soul player who elevates those around him. He also has the skills with a lot of upside still. Cox, well I’m a big fan but he is definitely an anomaly. Martin I agree.

Langford is a bit of an enigma. He does have lots of skill, can mark and kick, not quick but pace is ok. He is not a great tackler or contestor, but he does not shirk the hard stuff. Seems to me to one of these blokes who has potential but doesn’t show it often enough to be rated highly.

I sort of reckon it is his footy brain that just does not click on. Or he gets so focussed on a task that he does not see what is happening around him, and often looks like a spectator on the field.

At 25 years, 191 cm, 90 kg and 107 games, he is in his prime and while he may never be elite, should impact a game more. Now he is no Jake Stringer, but he needs to kick more goals and maybe run harder.

7 Likes

It’d probably be an easier sell to a player if doing that didn’t cost them a quarter of a million dollars.

2 Likes

Needs to have a big season i understand he was injured but will look bad if Perkins the only one that looks like making it out of the 3 we drafted

He should be the tall big bodied midfielder we’ve been crying out for. Instead he’s a part timer on the wing or forward who shows up occasionally. I hold out hope he can use his attributes but if it’s all upstairs for him then it’s a slim hope

2 Likes