#13 Nik Cox

I think that train of thought has stunted his development. We have tried to move anyone that fits that athletic profile into a midfield role. Lav, Lang, playing Frang through the mid in the VFL, Hurley at times too.

His 2021 showed he can be a genuinely good HF/ outside mid type. Lets keep him there.

3 Likes

Iā€™m sure youā€™re right, I guess I thought heā€™d come along a bit quicker. Itā€™s pleasing that Lav has found a role after a couple of reinventions and I thought Lang would be the more likely of those two physical units to settle and succeed. Might be a case of whole team lifts and you see his value in that role more clearly, he is classy. Also you canā€™t teach mongrel.

Centre half back. He played his best footy there as a junior.

3 Likes

He did he was one of the best players in our side in 2021

1 Like

I tuned out of 2021. We were deplorable and footy wasnā€™t of much interest for other reasons. Iā€™ll admit to an ignorant post. From what I read here about Dyson Heppellā€™s year he was the worst player in the league so Iā€™m not sure where that puts these ratings. But yeah, Langford looks like heā€™s playing the role adequately on paper. Senior player now with all the physical work behind him, hope he takes the next step.

21 Heppell was serviceable
22 Heppell fallen off the cliff

Think people are more annoyed that he is captain and sick of his sheā€™ll be right mate.
Once he hands that on to Merrett or Draper, he can focus solesly on footy and he might become less of a target from fans.

2 Likes

ā– ā– ā– ā–  Iā€™m having a good run here, I meant 22. We were average in 21, the EFc average. I wasnā€™t paying much attention to Langford either year so I should shut up about itšŸ¤Ŗ

Have we already put a line through Reid also?

Ah yes, ā€œstudent ath-o-letesā€, thatā€™s a good one.

No but if he gets injured again ill have concerns

agree with what youā€™ve said.

he could be a defender no doubt. most people however look at all the things you just mentioned, relate it to his height and say oh yeah heā€™d be great off a HBF.

the same problem is, he wonā€™t be playing against similarly tall people on a HBF, so the relative to his size claims also lose value.

who knows if he could be a hbf, but the opposite happened with cahill, he supposedly had the traits to fulfil the baker/daniels role until he was put in the role and people just outmarked him.

cox may have the traits to play as a HBF but if heā€™s played on players who are just as fast, just as agile and have forward craft, he could easily get carved up playing hbf role once the ball hits the ground.

I remember Cox and Reid were touted as perha

I know we are going back to draft camp, but Coxā€™s 2km time trial was elite, only a handful of guys ahead of him. He is good for a tall and a small.
Harry Sharp lions dominated but Cox was like 6:03 for 2km. Tippa would dream to run something like that.

He is amazing athletic, not just for a tall man. Has the height to play Ruck, given the Blicavs comparison similar too, without representing Aus.

Agree hes only ok in the air, good against smaller opponents. His highlights from 21 was more outrunning his opponent and taking uncontested marks running forward.
His kicking was good but he also stuffs up the occasional one. But his long accurate boot, could set up some nice plays from half back.

I just think he can do anything Blakey can, and if Blakey can play half back, cox can too.
Personally I would be developing him onball in the VFL though. so he can be our next Bont/cripps/Fyfe

edit: official Draft stats for Cox, 20m sprint 2.95 secs and the 2km time trial in 6:05 mins (third overall in the country) at the recent Victorian Combine.

2 Likes

As much as we love the aerial stuff the game is mostly played on the ground and heā€™s a tall bloke who is brilliant at ground level. Heā€™s got much better hands off the deck than Langford for instance. Will be a ripper

2 Likes

Has there ever been a player who doesnā€™t stuff up the occasional one?

3 Likes

Mercuriā€¦. Ohā€¦ waitā€¦

3 Likes

Henry Slattery.

Too soon.

7 Likes

C-nt

1 Like

Hate to be spoil sport but Bilcavā€™s 800 metre and 1500 metres are not of international standard. Pretty confident he did not represent Australia in track n field. My memory is that it was basically a media beat up. Never ran a sub 1.50 for 800 or sub 3.43 for 1500. His pb for the 3km was 9.03, while the national record is around 8.30. Basically, a good athlete not an outstanding one.

1 Like

Steeplechaser, wasnā€™t he?

(Which, by my understanding, is a bit like racehorses who only make the cut over jumps)