#13 Nik Cox

Whats more valuable at the moment another Forward or a Utility?

Thats what selection will and should be about.

• assuming both players are ready to go.

Yeah I agree, he still needs to earn it, for sure. And also agree about a happy work environment for all. Iā€™m unsure what itā€™s like to be a young kid and/or rookie listed player coming through the ranks, Iā€™d hope there is a constant checking in with realistic goals for each individual. There would be jealousy no doubt, when certain players are picked over others. But if they all work hard enough at it they should get their turn.

And you are right about the defensive thing for Cox, although he did play some of his under 18ā€™s as a defender with success, so it isnā€™t entirely new to him. But he is enigmatic though isnā€™t he, can play multliple roles. From memory he did really well marking in the backline, and kicking long out of defence in the odd U/18 game.

Looks like his first game back was a tick, see how he can back it up - and most importantly, if he can get some continuity out there without being sidelined again.

With Voss it does seem like heā€™s being held back for some sort of development which from outside isnā€™t obvious, unless it is his defensive game - he does tend to watch the ball going the other way out of F50. His first 4-5 games in the VFL proved enough as a key forward, it seemed like he earned a run in the 1ā€™s, but it didnā€™t happen. As you say, with Jones and Weid up and down, and 2MP out. He did go missing for a bit once he wasnā€™t being selected, so that didnā€™t help his cause. But Iā€™m sure more solid performances and he will get his go - didnā€™t someone say he was in the 2024 planning?

Unless you have two players in mind who play the same position, the same way, with the same skill set and the same deficiencies then your point is completely irrelevant

Players will develop at different rates and will all be working on different aspects of their game
Not once have i seen anyone say all young players must develop in the vfl for a set period of time
Voss (for example) has clearly been asked to work on certain things and no doubt is doing exactly that

Edit: Just read your later posts and do agree with a lot of what you said

Happy to see he got through 3/4 of the VFL game and played quite well. Another 2-3 weeks of solid footy and he will be pushing his case for a senior spot.

5 Likes

I feel like Cox would be the ultimate sub, can literally play anywhere

5 Likes

Yeah but when?

Thatā€™s just itā€¦ 2 to 3 weeks for him yet Guelfi has a weekā€™s then comes in.
Whatā€™s the hold back for?

Voss is gonna ask a question or 2 later in the season. If he doesnā€™t get picked atleast the next few games, he might be going elsewhere @ seasons end.

Heā€™s built like Steve Moneghetti and has had a very long term back injury.

6 Likes

He wasnā€™t best 22 before the injury. Why do people think he deserves to come straight back in?

5 Likes

VOSS Feels like Josh Jenkins all over again.
At least we had 2 -3 rucks ahead of him
Hille Ryder Bellchambers

ended up being one of Dodoro best key forwards though :rofl:

Cox
Redman
McGrath
Ridley
Kelly, Lav, BZT

Is a good mix down back.

ā– ā– ā– ā–  that weak :cat2: Hind off after the bye for Cox.

I donā€™t get the hate that Hind gets. He makes mistakes, but he creates play by taking the game on. Heā€™s not a big contested player, but his speed is something our team lacks after losing Saad, McKenna and Fantasia.

35 Likes

Donā€™t think Voss will go anywhere

I said the same thing about Saad.

I think he creates too many turnovers.
His pace has gone to ā– ā– ā– ā– .

2 Likes

Heā€™s soft
Heā€™s not a great kick
He makes poor decisions
He plays for free kicks and constantly argues with the umps

His one trick is running fast. Thats it. Thats his whole fkg game.

6 Likes

Wow, and Brad continues to play him, I wonder who is right.

4 Likes

Yeah and until we find another defender who can break lines with speed we kinda need him.

Put tippa back to half back.

1 Like