#13 Nik Cox

I can see Cox ending up as a tall winger - 2021 to develop his midfield craft.

Pick No.8: Nikolas Cox

Essendon secures the services of talented tall Nikolas Cox with its first pick.

12 hrs

Essendon has secured the services of talented tall Nikolas Cox in the 2020 NAB AFL Draft.

The Northern Knights product arrives at the Bombers via pick No.8 - the club’s first selection.

One of the most unique prospects in this year’s draft, Cox boasts remarkable athleticism for a 200cm tall, running the 20m sprint in 2.95 secs and the 2km time trial in 6:05 mins (third overall in the country) at the recent Victorian Combine.

He’s a creative, efficient user of the footy on both feet, who enjoys flying for marks and taking the game on.

Despite consolidating himself as a key tall late last season, Cox has also shown he can play as a medium-sized type across half-back and on the wing.

General manager of list and recruiting Adrian Dodoro said the 18-year-old had enormous upside.

“We don’t know what his ceiling his. He has an amazing engine and he kicks on both sides of his body, so he’ll run around like a midfielder,” Dodoro said.

“He’s a very exciting prospect. Obviously losing ‘Joey’ (Joe Daniher) and Tommy Bellchambers, we’ve lost a lot of talls over the past couple of years and we wanted to replenish that area of our list with this draft, and I think we did a really good job of doing that.”

NIK COX AT A GLANCE:

Position: Key forward/defender
Team: Northern Knights/Vic Metro
Height: 200cm
Weight: 87kg
DOB: January 15, 2002
Key strengths: Kicking efficiency, versatility, athleticism
Key stat: Ran 20m sprint in 2.95 secs

This news is brought to you by Orchard HRO , the club’s official recruitment and list management partner.

Welcome to Essendon Nik. A very exciting prospect- skilful on both sides (may be able to lead some skill sessions on how to develop this ability😉)

he’s got some serious hands. screams a key forward to me, especially with us drafting brand and reid

2 Likes

I’d be looking at him as a high half-forward/wing. With his endurance and skills he could become a great link player.

3 Likes

Remember when Mutch arrived and the coaches told him to stop that and focus on kicking from a preferred side?

3 Likes

That could go to either the “death of journalism” or Grammar threads.

1 Like

@THE_DON1 was saying that Cox got smashed in contested marking against Eyre, last week at training.

That says a lot about Eyre… but I don’t think his marking is overly strong. Cox will thrive on getting on his bike, and taking uncontested marks. Similar to Mitch Brown.

As a defender, he’ll be the type that peels off his opponent and becomes an option as loose player.

Get your cox out

12 Likes

Can kick on both sides and looks very agile. Very happy we picked a footballer than an athlete.

Without putting too much pressure on the kid, I could see him redefining what the modern CHF could be. Super tall, fast, agile, skillful, takes a big mark and can run all day. The modern day 200cm version of Nick Riewoldt.

Ohh baby.

3 Likes

He’s both.

Cox and Perkins seem incredibly confident. We really lacked that sort of strut and self-belief.

5 Likes

so you’re saying he is already as good as Nick Riewoldt. Awesome.

1 Like

Looks like a great pick up.

There were some knocks on him in here in the lead up.

Any of them founded or was that pre draft subterfuge or trolling or both?

Better!

Classic. Luv it.!!!

His highlights are insane

1 Like

Here is an avatar for anyone that wants to use it on here:

7 Likes

Can he be the big midfielder we’re looking for? Can see him being like Fyfe in the air but does he have that tough streak and accumulate ability?

The quote wasn’t “got smashed”.
It was more along the lines of “struggled a bit”

So unless you’re the type who gets told “You have a bit of a head cold” and immediately books an appointment with an undertaker , wait a bit.

On the highlights reel, his contested marking looked more like a recently departed key forward- preferring to jump into or over the pack - rather than a body on body wrestling match.
Still contested marking

3 Likes