#14 Jordan Ridley -- ADDITIONAL 3 YEARS (till 2029)

Anyone else confused why he’s doing some work in the midfield at VFL level?
My count is that we have 10-11 mids for the next 5 years plus zaka for a couple more. We also have Begley and Laverde that could possibly transition into the midfield all the while running Fantasia, Stringer and Walla through there in short bursts.
I could understand playing wing but what benefit or future plan is there for Ridley spending time in a role I highly doubt would we require from him in the coming years. I would think there is more to gain from throwing him at full back playing undersized and learning to handle it while giving BZT some experience at full forward so that he can learn playing the complete opposite key position and gain knowledge from a different perspective.

Possibly his elite kicking and decision making.

At the very least it rounds out his skill set a little.

I’m not.

Anyone that has any chance of being a mid you give a crack to these days, and at least “suck it & see”.

Can’t have too many blokes that can run through there, even if for just 5 minutes occasionally, … and there’s every chance you just might unearth/unleash a beast.

1 Like

I think he has as much potential through the midfield as any of the guys you mentioned.

But, if he has a weakness as a backman it would be accumulating 25+ possessions regularly, which is an important attribute for someone who’ll likely play as that tall HB/sweeper. As a defender you’d want him pushing high up onto the wings putting himself into more dangerous offensive positions.

As evidenced on the weekend, he is someone you want with ball in hand not only coming out of defense but also entering forward 50 and so exposing him to the midfield should help him become more than just a defender who racks up R50s.

1 Like

I found the Geelong game from last year on my hard drive and watched the last half. Ridley looked like a star 12 months ago. Cool, composed, skilled. Trips me out that he’s playing VFL still.

2 Likes

Learning midfield in the VFL will teach him to go win his own ball rather than be the outside target who gets fed the ball. It will round out his game nicely.

He is tracking very nicely.

14 Likes

That’s probably the most accurate prognosis. Learning how to win it, confidence that when it’s there to be won go and get it and better decision making under pressure.

2 Likes

I am not sure about that, only one defender averaged 25 touches a game in 2018 (Laird), and the rest in the top 10 averaged 22.

Ridley averaged 15 a game this year, which is pretty good for someone who hasn’t played 10 games yet.

Agree with your last paragraph, though.

2 Likes

I was basing that comment on his VFL numbers, more so than his AFL ones.

Numerous reasons. Others have rightly pointed out many.
We already know how good he is in defence don’t we.
Only upside in putting him in there imo Only the best get to play in the guts.

To me he just looked a little weak in the contest when in the seniors. As killermike mentioned it might be to help him work on his contest work. But also win some more footy and get his confidence up.

1 Like

Agree with much of the above.
It’s Ridleys body on body work that’s probably his weakest point at present- the occasional midfield burst is a way of fast tracking that.
30 or 40 contests a game, compared to 4 or 5 playing down back.

Why wouldn’t you want this guy playing midfield?

I see no reason why Ridley can’t be as good as the Bont in 3-4 years

Everyone knows he has elite disposal and is a good sweeper and running defensive outlet player. But I don’t think they are trying to convert him to a mid. They are building his contested work. There are definite signs in this report that its working well.

From the Northern Fark Blues game report.

Jordan Ridley

Stats: 19 disposals, four marks, two tackles

From the coach: ‘Rids’ played inside-mid for the first half - just getting him around the ball. He had some really nice inside-50s and used the ball well, and then in the second half he went back and defended hard at ground level but also in the air. He denied Northern of any really good scoring opportunities, particularly in the last quarter. I thought all our back six were pretty good on the day and he fitted pretty seamlessly into that.

2 Likes

Look what a difference a year and a lot of hard work has made for Redman.
I watched him through a couple of pre-seasons turn himself from a lightly-built gangly-ish utility to a hard running tough warrior. Ridley hasn’t got the rig yet, but if he can work at it close to what Redman has done, he will be a player.

10 Likes

Bont was one of the best players in the comp in his third season. Probably played his best season to date at Ridley’s age.

Ridley uses the ball really well and can get on the end of it, but he has a long way to go with regards to winning his own ball.

1 Like

Quite simply needs to come back in the side.

Great decision maker that hits targets under pressure.

1 Like

Yeah I think he should come in but the question comes down to who does he replace?

He isn’t going to be replacing Hurls, Hooker or Ambrose, and please, no one say he should replace Zaka, that isn’t happening either.

oh…well in that case just leave him in the VFL

Or make a suggestion other than what we might all prefer, because he has to replace someone down back or maybe wing. The only person they will pick will be Langford which would be a shame.