#14 Jordan Ridley -- ADDITIONAL 3 YEARS (till 2029)

yeah Langford seems like a good idea

Are you going to offer something or just be a smart-ā– ā– ā– ā– ?

Well youā€™ve already removed all of the options for who Iā€™d want replaced

and letā€™s be honest, the only players being dropped from this team are Langford and Clarke

He replaces Zaka, its no question really and if the coaches/match committee canā€™t see that well I think they should be replaced by an u12s coach in the EDFL. Ridley is a natural defender and Zaka is most definitely not a defender. Itā€™s as if weā€™re trying to recreate what the dutch were doing in the 70s with their total football and any player can play any position. Iā€™m all for trialling players in different roles if there are not alternatives but fck me youā€™ve got a very capable defender playing in the VFL and a wingman/HFF playing in defence in the AFL. Just make the call and bring him in

1 Like

Those looking for a spot - there is likely to be one open with Guelfiā€™s injury.

He doesnā€™t really play a Guelfi type role though, although coming in for him is an option and moving Zaka back up the field.

If it comes down to him Vs Gleeson for a running HBF/Wing id prob go Gleeson for the moment.

If it meant Zaka can go back to mid or wing, that cool head of Gleeson is needed coming out of defence. Under rated how much weā€™ve missed him past 18 months.

2 Likes

They obviously donā€™t think Ridley can play on smalls otherwise heā€™d likely be in.

Weā€™ve run Guelfi, McNeice & Zaka through there now as 7th defender.

Zaka to be fair I thought was ok last night, did a pretty good job on Ryan.

Gleeson I think can play on smalls & is probably almost ready to come in after block of building his fitness and form in 2ā€™s

3 Likes

If we keep thinking of things that the players canā€™t do then they we will never learn.

We need to start looking at what they can do and find a role for them!

Clarke is the poster boy for it.

2 Likes

Fantasia and Walla arenā€™t 100% do they get rested

Stringer, Ridley and Snelling should really come in next week

Great point!

I think many of our players CAN climb into a cannon!

2 Likes

Better buy another cannon, do they have double barrel ones?

Any chance to come in this week?

Not on his VFL showing, IMO.

1 Like

Thanks, is he going ok with a move to the wing or a bit lost? I think it is worth the learning and effort to get him to be a mid, his size and clean disposal could be an asset going through there.

My personal opinion is theyā€™re not moving him, theyā€™re just playing him midfield so he learns to cope with some physicality.

And I havenā€™t seen much improvement there.

1 Like

Watching us butcher the ball week after week makes you wonder why this bloke is running around in the VFL. I get the development angle but we need quality delivery going forward and this guy has it. Must come back soon IMO.

1 Like

Agree Sunbury, he has the skills we need to create a Plan B.

When the half backs are pinned down I would like him to provide an alternative attack method.

He & Redman and Francis have the necessary kicking skills to provide this second play.

Seems obvious to me, a bit like playing hooker up front when Smack needed to play ruck due to TBell going down.

But Iā€™m not the coach, just a mad bomber supporter so what would I know

Our defence is the one area of the ground where we donā€™t need to improve our ball use. Redman, Saad, Mckenna and now Francis for at least the next 4-5 weeks is plenty of class coming out of defence.

Gleeson will also be better for the run and the remainder of the season is all about him getting back to his best, which was pretty damn good before injury struck. And Hartley is every chance of coming in should Hooker be sent forward.

Ridley has wingman all over him imo; covers the ground well, elite disposal - which is damaging, creative, and reliable - heā€™s good overhead, and something he hasnā€™t been able to show yet is his forward craft which based on his junior form is very good.

He should be one of our starting onballers in the VFL for the rest of the season, where he can learn to get his hands on the pill 25+ per game and improve his contested ball winning. The same applies to Begely imo.

2 Likes

To regular VFL-watchers,

How is Ridley going?

I would have assumed heā€™s very unlucky to not make the bench this weekend, but havenā€™t actually seen him play since he lost his spot.