#15 Jayden Laverde - ๐‹๐ข๐ฏ๐ž๐“›๐“ช๐“พ๐“ฐ๐“ฑ ๐•ƒ๐”ธ๐• (Part 1)

3 years older, 25. Re-signed for 1 year last year at age 24. Should Lav should be looking at a 4 year minimum then?

My maths has it at 12 years

Yep trade him.

Laverde is the sort of bloke Sydney will turn into a star.

3 Likes

l would hang on to him, and see what he can produce, once he is over the injuries and given a decent chance to show his wares. His whole career until now has been derailed constantly, so he has never had a shot at establishing himself. l back him in to come good.

3 Likes

Iโ€™d be spewin if we lost Laverde to another club. Just like I was when Houli left.

5 Likes

and some

1 Like

Yep. Iโ€™d have thought rookie spot at best. Reckon theyโ€™ll offer him another 2yr contract though, give him one more shot to get his body right and show something. Pretty clear they seem to rate him, for whatever reason, and would want to give him every chance.

Must be kept. This is not an E.Kavanagh situation.

6 Likes

Must?

Wow.

2 Likes

How is this โ€œwowโ€?

Kav had a heap more availability than Lav and showed far less over the journey. Closer match to Pears who showed plenty of potential and needed time to get over injuries. They waited until he was 26 in Pearsโ€™ case.

Pears had shown way more at the same stage than Lav. Looked as good if not better than hooker. He got injured and never went on with it. But he showed a heap of early promise.

3 Likes

Thatโ€™s right. He played 23 games in his second year. It was devastating when he went down injured and never recovered.

wow that anyone might consider a kid whoโ€™s played a grand total of 29 games in 4 years and frankly shown about half as much as people around want to suggest, would be a โ€œmust keepโ€โ€ฆ

that is very wow. But altogether too common around here.

2 Likes

True. Lav wasnโ€™t as good under age as Kav.

3 Likes

FWIW I do think Laverde has a little bit of something about him. But weโ€™ve barely seen it and after 4 years heโ€™s rapidly approaching the crossroads of list clogger status.

2 Likes

Agree, I reckon Pears was better than Rance at one stage.

FWIW Iโ€™d sign Lav for two years. I think he can be better than what pick 50 would yield.

Heโ€™s only 22.

Many a key position players takes that long or more to be ready mainly due to getting their body capable of competing against men.

Whilst he isnโ€™t a kpp he has clearly had issues with his body, and IMO should be retained with a view to seeing what he can do when he gets a decent run at it.

DJR commented his time in guts at VFL level he looked great in there. But he simply hasnโ€™t been able to get enough mid development in.

The side we are building is aiming to have a big core group of 25 and under playing 5-8yrs together which he should be a part of.

Still a very talented player after all. And we will get nothing for him trade wise at present either.

10 Likes

Iโ€™ve seen nothing, zero, in Lavโ€™s AFL games to suggest heโ€™s going to make it. Nada.

3 Likes

Agree completely yet we have posters in here saying he could end up a star.

Stars have standout qualities. What is Lavs standout quality that could see him develop into a star?

Iโ€™ve never seen a star run on train tracks and have very very poor agility, whether they were 22 or 32โ€ฆ

3 Likes

Thereโ€™s a few people (me included) that think he has a lot of potential and is worth given time to make an uninterrupted run at it.
Canโ€™t say I remember seeing anyone claim that heโ€™d end up a star though.
Can you quote anyone to substantiate that? Just curious as to what youโ€™ve read.