#15 Jayden Laverde - 𝐋𝐢𝐯𝐞𝓛𝓪𝓾𝓰𝓱 𝕃𝔸𝕍 (Part 1)

Lost in translation…I was dismissing comments stating Laverde (who has a AFL ready body) can’t come in off one good game (to replace Baguley).

Hence saying it didn’t stop Ham (who is skinny as a stick) coming off one game into the side to replace Zaharakis.

3 Likes

What history proves it?

If Laverde is going to be competing with anyone for spots in the forward line it’s with guys like Stringer or Baguley

2 Likes

No it doesn’t. History proves that he gets injured unfortunately.

2 Likes

I don’t know why anyone would dream of Laverde as a replacement for Baguley. Even assuming Baguley needs to be replaced, Laverde is a completely different type of player: much taller, heavier, not at all a scrapper.

If Stringer is not available or if his form drops a very long way from where it is at the moment, then Laverde would be one of those considered to replace him. But not Baguley.

Laverde for Myers

Guelfi for Baguley

1 Like

The point most people are making is that you could bring almost anyone in for Baguley and just shuffle the decks a little.

I never said they were the same sort of player, but structurally it’s a much more likely change than replacing a genuine tall. What you lose in pressure, you gain in offensive weapons. Not that I’m even advocating for this swap anyway.

1 Like

Actually, I can see that kind of setup working very well, providing at least one of the mid-sized forwards can contribute decent defensive pressure. Joey & Brown, Laverde/Begley & Stringer, Walla & Fanta. We have Smith & Guelfi & Parish all having defensive sides to them also.

1 Like

Was at the game yesterday, there is a massive massive difference in the skill, pressure and free flowing corridors in VFL and AFL

Laverde has played one good game in reserves don’t think he should be risked on ANZAC

Keep parish in for sure, reckon he might be more suited to MCG

4 Likes

every game he plays in reserves is good.

like darcy.

1 Like

I hate the thinking that says you always have to replace like with like.
Do we have the perfect balance at the moment? And even if we do, is it the only one that can work?
Why can’t we go a bit taller and stronger, and swap say Laverde’s strengths (and weaknesses) for Bags’ equivalent. It would give a different mix, but so what?
I get that you can’t go too tall, too slow, too much outside run versus inside strength etc, and there has to be a balance, but Laverde for Bags wouldn’t critically upset any of those important balances.

PS I’m not an advocate of Laverde playing Anzac day BTW, just that it doesn’t have to be like for like always.

10 Likes

Why is everyone convinced Laverde is going to be better than he has been in the past when he’s come up to AFL level and struggled?

4 Likes

whys everyone convinced myers is gonna be better than he usually is after having an extended run of not producing?

2 Likes

Why is Lav not a good replacement for bags. He is tough, quick, tackles hard and is better in the Air. The height of a player doesn’t represent what he brings to the team.

2 Likes

Lav can’t provide the manic pressure or the ground level agility that Bags can.

9 Likes

yeah 6 frees against is hard to live up to.

10 Likes

Laverde is not a midfielder and guelfi is already in the team…

And he had a grand total of 2 free kicks paid against him in the 2 previous games…big deal.

In his last AFL game he kicked 3.3 from 17 disposals.

1 Like

in lavs last game of footy he played he got 6 goals.

but whatever

2 Likes