#15 Jayden Laverde - 𝐋𝐢𝐯𝐞𝓛𝓪𝓾𝓰𝓱 𝕃𝔸𝕍 (Part 1)

Really… that’s awsome.

Hoping he plays games against weak competition at AFL level and kicks goals whilst continuing to dominate at VFL to maintain trade currency. He, Langford, Hartley, Stewart, Gleeson and Parish all stand a great chance of being shipped out at the end of the season if the price is right.

And like Darcy, whenever he plays seniors he is forced to play out of position.

Love bags but he is really struggling. Time to bring in lav.

2 Likes

Yes, Guelfi is in the team, but he should be playing in Baguley’s scrappy forward role which he could do better imo

Laverde is a big Bodied midfield rotation. Between he, Stringer and even Parish and Guelfi they would be able to cover Myers’ contribution in the middle. Laverde would take Stringers forward role when Jake rolls through the middle and when Joe gives Belly a chop out we would have the extra marking option in the forwardline.

1 Like

Let’s get a few games into LAV at vfl level, get some fitness back.

3 Likes

He’s laid under 10 tackles in 5 games, that’s not providing manic pressure

5 Likes

He’s in that awkward place of being far too good for the VFL - even when underdone - and not having had the continuity to get himself to AFL level yet.

I’d like him to be left in the two’s for a couple more weeks to really build some serious GPS numbers and clean up his touch before he comes in. Despite kicking six yesterday he was miles off what an AFL player looks like in terms of running intensity and clean ball handling.

I’m a fan, but I want him cherry ripe to really have a genuine crack at senior level. I think, while he’s a long way behind in terms of development, he’s a de Goey type player. And not too dissimilar talent wise either.

6 Likes

Where are you getting that stat ? Next time check your facts before you short change someone.

My mistake, he’s laid a grand total of 12 tackles, kicked 4 goals and given away 12 frees in 5 games.

We all love the bloke but he is very replaceable and really struggling

7 Likes

Replaceable by who though ? If it’s a player that has a defensive mindset and can keep the ball locked in our forward 50 then yea fair enough, if you want to bring in a half forward that has little agility at ground level then your probably going to upset the balance of a winning team.

Lav could play the Stringer role very well. However with the current forward line kicking 100 plus hard to see him fitting in. He could even play the Brown role with JD back but at the moment he have to bide his time. Puts pressure on players to perform mind you and if if either gets injured Lav should be straight in.

I’m not saying it’s Lav but fck me, do you really think he cannot be replaced? You could literally stick Parish there and he’d do better than a total of 12 tackles and 4 goals in 5 games and he’s not a pressure/small forwards left nut

Think you might be overrating Baguley a tad mate, he’s been a warrior but geez he is struggling big time and his stats/output reflect that

6 Likes

Mate, I’m just happy to be winning.

You all know he can play off the bench right? He doesn’t have to fit into the role of the player omitted.
Myers comes off, lav comes on, stringer comes off, lav comes on, Daniher comes off…you get the picture.
Point is, laverde makes us a better team, if that’s coming off the bench, so be it.

5 Likes

90% of people aren’t, he just gets picked anyway.
i imagine if lav was in the boys group which there is some evidence he is, he will be rushed back no matter what we all think anyway.

depends, does 30 possies a game mean you’re a great player if you ■■■■ up every one of those possessions ?

i’m not gonna say bags shouldn’t be under pressure to lose his spot, and probably woulnd’t be upset if he does, or doesn’t.

but you could run through a few players on our list and find similar players with less tackles.
yes different players and different roles etc etc, but you don’t need a stat to prove you’re applying pressure, as alot of it goes unrewarded except by those who look for or acknowledge it.

Despite how well he played in the VFL, do we really think it’s a great idea to bring in someone with Lav’s injury history on a 5 day break?

I can’t see it happening, especially considering that we’ll already be making two changes to a winning side, with Smith & Zaharakis set to return.

There will be plenty of opportunities if he can string together that sort of form in the VFL. We’ve got a 5 day break in a couple of weeks time, when we play Geelong on a Sunday and then head to the SCG to play Sydney on the Friday night.

I think we’ll see more of players like Smith being rested, which will open the door up for Lav & co, if they haven’t already forced their way into the senior side by then.

3 Likes

the simple answer could be, they are still trying to find out all the above, but atm defensive pressure may be the standard they need to keep for now, as most teams seem to be relying so heavily on players being able to get to contest after contest after contest.

Lav doesn’t really have any strengths that have stood out at afl level so far either. his goal kicking has gone downhill, he’s generally doesn’t get alot of it either, and his decision making and skill isn’t that great in field kicking.

I’m the same i’m not fussed if he comes in, won’t be fussed if he doesn’t, i’ve never really seen the hype in what he offers though, to me it seems more like people what in him cos he barracked for essendon.

last i’ll mention on it all, with people getting hung up so heavily on the tackling stat alone as the only form of supposed indication of defensive pressure.

fanta -11 tackles for the year
mcgrath - 8
hooker albeit only 2 games in - 0
hurley -3
zaka- 11
tippa-20
mckenna- 7
Guelfi- 10 from 4 games
Parish - 15 from 4 games

i could go on , but eh. for a team that doesn’t seem to tackle that much as a whole, their “defensive” pressure seems to be working pretty good the last 3 weeks as least.