#16 Josh “Fridge” Begley

I think he has been garbage since returning and yes whilst ACL scenario is there he really should be building his form in the VFL not the AFL (DJR said he was playing average in VFL before came into senior side also)

Was not better than Baguley last week & for the majority of last nights game was utterly terrible

10 disposals @ 50% DE, 3 tackles (only 1 inside 50 arc)

Missed too many targets around ground. Dropped marks. Done for HTB trying to take tackler (2 opponents) on when should have handballed

Yes kicked 2 goals very late, was a nice finish the one from 40 after the LAV run down and the other was from 3m out in goal square off the ground

I get why Bags went out, Fantasia needed to play close to goal as was short of a gallop but I’d honestly rather Jake Long be played forward ahead of Begley at present. Quicker, more agile, gets more of the footy & better ball use.

Jake Long? That’s bizarre.

What did people think of Begley’s form last year before the injury? He seemed to be more liked then, but his stats at least are better this year.

He’s a long way off good form. But no-one is banging down the door for his spot.

1 Like

Is it bizarre?

Everyone is seemingly, “give Begley time it’s hard coming back from ACL”. Is now 4 games back.

He’s had 16 @40%DE (6 effective disposals) and 10@ 50%DE (5 effective disposals) last two games and this in two relatively easy wins.

His output is ordinary. Very overrated player.

Here is Jake Long having not played AFL intensity for about 2yrs filling in for Raz (late out :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:) for the Pies game last year which was frenetic

3 Likes

jake long should never ever plays ones for us again.

4 Likes

I think Begley looks better than what his actual output is. Bit similar to Laverde.

Laverde at least competes a bit better but Begley has a lot of games with little influence.

Needs to play midfield in the VFL to get some leather poisoning.

Back to the 2nds for mine. I like the kid but he needs to have more of an impact. We need more pace in the fwd line the ball was coming out to easy. Begs out moz in.

Was a Scania last night.

Turning circle of a truck.

Bagley for mine until he finds form.

He kicked the winning goals!!!
Last time Long played he lost us the game

1 Like

I really like him but he is terribly out of form and his kicking has been woeful. Bags would give us more or if we think he is ready Mozzie.

1 Like

I don’t think Jake is faster, to be honest. He is indigenous - but not fast. Go figure.
He is an excellent field kick, though. I’d welcome that. He has also been playing mainly hb in the 2’s, with a bit of wing.

1 Like

So is Begley the new Langford or Parish that we debate endessly about having talent but needs to show more output?

The kid is early in his career at AFL level coming off an ACL. He is a footballer’s footballer. He is not an “athlete who can learn the game”. IMO he will absolutely make it as a player. We just have to persist.

Redman is another example.

8 Likes

Should lose his place to Mitch Brown. Two goals in a minute flattered an otherwise very ordinary performance.

3 Likes

I think that he’s coming off an ACL is the issue.

He has played a handful of below average VFL games and then straight back into the seniors.

I doubt fitness is an issue with Begley but at the very least they could have allowed him to find some touch and confidence.

1 Like

It won’t happen overnight but it will happen.

Best thing about our young group is they’re all ripping mates.

2 Likes

Is WCE new stadium more MCG dimensions?

If so,then if Brown seems in good touch today,bring him in.

1 Like

Brown or Baguley?

He needs a spell in the twos, preferably in a position where he can get his hands on the ball 30 odd times and recapture his kicking ability.

He should take confidence from how he fought it out last night, going from WoG to match winnner in the last.

Brown will probably come back in for Jake. Leave Begley in! We have a fantastic group of younger players finally playing multiple games as a group. Keep them going

7 Likes

He certainly seems to run a lot. Ran the most distance for us last night. Been in the top 5 on the ground a few times.

Ambrose and Clarke were the other 2 bombers in the top 5

2 Likes

Begley is one of my favs when on. But he is clearly still trying to find the rhythm of the game at this level & his output is simply not enough to warrant inclusion. Agree with others that his two goals although viral flattered him a lot.

His confidence would be up from that experience & it is great to see him running so hard. His fitness levels are a
testimony to his hard work. But it’s the pace of the game, knowing where to be, finding the ball & his contested side and even his kicking has been down.

I agree with others that Brown should be played ahead of him. Without Stringer, we need another marking forward to play along side Mckernan. I’d be dropping Begley to play him in the VFL in a Stringer type role 50/50 mid / fwd to find his touch.

We known this guy is going to be very good again. But I don’t think he is effective or impactful enough at the moment and we can’t afford to be carrying players if we want to play finals.

Beat the Eagles and we are actually looking ok again. Huge ask. But with our mids & defence going well, I reckon it’s possible even without Stringer, Daniher, Smith & Begley.

Brown, Smack Fantasia & Laverde and
Tippa can still kick a winning score - will need some help from the mids as well with Merrett & co kicking goals.

Heppell. Please. Don’t. Have. Shots. On. Goal.

Laverde. Do the team thing ALWAYS

4 Likes

Hepp was reliable in front of goal last season. I’d back him to fix it up.