Former #17 James Stewart

Said it in thw game thread , he was bog for mine, just the impact on a game was immense.

I found it odd in worsfolds presser that when mentioning him , said something like when we recruited him we didnt guarantee he would be in our best side. That makes getting him and his development even more impressive imo. To be in the position he was , wanting to leave a club near thw top of the ladder for lack of chances , to end up at our club and still not be guaranteed anything, just damn.

1 Like

Exposed the pinch hitting 3rd tall. Fantastic. Highlights how big a loss lever is. Sides just will not get away with an under sized 3rd kpd against and he’ll keep the guys who like to come off honest.

Of course if they do match him up we will send stringer deep against a 185cm minnow.

Some of the chances we missed last night. Find. Could easily have put on another 5 or 6. And we were missing arguably our 2 best play makers.

I’m very lid off this morning

16 Likes

Has all the ‘tools’ to be a superstar of the comp. As Carey said during the commentary last night: The sky’s the limit.

2 Likes

Power AND agility is rare. Add in his height and very good skills for someone of said height, and you have a very dangerous player to contend with.

6 Likes

Yep, think people need to stop with the third tall stuff.

He’s better than that and is improving rapidly.

3 Likes

That mark at full tilt was a little Lloyd-ish.

6 Likes

Remember that time when Collingwood effectively picked Darcy Moore over James Stewart. Fark that was good.

11 Likes

He’s put on some size. Looks huge.

Unit. Thanks GWS.

2 Likes

All he needed to learn to do was clunk

It’s happening. He’s going to be very good

3 Likes

Play of the night for me was his contest leading to the Fridge goal. Had absolutely no right to control that and shoot out a handball.

His effectiveness when the ball hits the deck is such a weapon.

6 Likes

and if Joey is out injured/suspended, then we have excellent coverage for that scenario. Hooker, Stewart, Stringer as the tall forwards. With Bellchambers to go forward to rest and Stewart rucks. Belly is a good kick for goal.

Stewart is an important get in his own right, and brings such excellent depth.

7 Likes

He’s the 3rd tall because he doesn’t really play CHF and often gets the 3rd defender. It’s another reason why hooker is so important in the forward line.
When Stewart strings some of these games end on end he gets the second defender and hooker will be playing on some 18 year old kid.

6 Likes

Wayne Carey is a Kent but he knows more about forward roles than most in the industry and he has a massive man crush on Stewart. Have heard him several times say the skies the limit and how much of an athlete he is

7 Likes

This guy is 24 and only has 35 games to his name.

He is playing third tall because of the talent we have but if hooker were to go back I have no doubt that Stewart and Joe would get the job done.

People have in their minds that a player has have this skill to do a certain role. It’s a similar argument people have with big bodied mids.

He has different skills but is very smart.

A good player is a good player.

The mark I thought was really lloyd-ish* was Joe’s diving chest mark.

*Off-topic

3 Likes

Personally I’ve always thought of 3rd tall as a position, not a ranking. Fletch played 3rd tall for years, didn’t make him our third best tall defender. I think Stewart’s showing signs he could also play as a FF or CHF, but I don’t think saying he’s a 3rd tall is a disparaging statement in and of itself.

7 Likes

Stewart gets his marks on the lead or when size mismatch on opponent can take odd contested grab.

Hooker just flat out beats similar height & strength defenders and takes marks in packs of multiple players also.

We’d need Hooker & one of JD/Stewart if it was to drop back to two pronged kpf attack which it won’t as its working beautifully.

Neither JD or Stewart can do what Hooker does.

6 Likes

Not every side has a hooker type!

In fact most clubs have been drifting away from that for years!

His effectiveness as a contested marking AND leading forward last night just added so much dimension to our forward effectiveness.

1 Like