#18 Michael Hurley -- now coaching

He’s the toughest ■■■■■■■. Once the ball went out Hooker gives him a pat on the back and tells him to get off the ground.

1 Like

thread title delivers

1 Like

That’s what footy is all about its the sacrifices that win games of footy as much as the pretty things. You don’t get stats or points of things either.

1 Like

Yep. It’s that sort of selfless attitude that our club as lacked for a long time IMO. It is on those small things that success is built. They are the difference between being good team and being a great team. Should be played on a loop to the playing group this week. This is sacrifice for your teammates. This is giving your everything for the good of the team. When you think there’s nothing left you can do to change the situation, there is always one more effort. That ethos is building I think. The rewards are born out in close wins we usually never achieved and further reinforce the ethos.

3 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. Its consistency in the willingness and discipline to do the unrewarding little things that make a great team. Richmond are a good example of this (unfarkingfortunately), and won a flag because of it.

1 Like

Well we just past or first test with flying colours and played with more dare off half back in the second half than any time this year. That may in part have had something to do with us getting beaten badly at clearances for the first time this year but you can’t deny that Francis Ambrose Hartley and Gleeson looked dominant in the second half. Hartley and Francis both had some great attacking moments

3 Likes

Well we will have a few more weeks to settle it down and help them get used to each other on the big stage.

Those players wouldn’t have played much together as a whole group. Even less if you add in Saad and McKenna and Redman. It’s very much a meshing of the AFL and VFL backlines.

It was even more impressive because Hooker was clearly hindered, and they would have planned on having him down there.

So the Adelaide forward line were on top. Hooker got redeployed. Then these blokes had to look at each other and work out how they were going to try and rein Adelaide in.

They kept them to 3 goals in the second half of football. ■■■■ me dead if that isn’t an extraordinary performance that deserves to be given time to develop.

5 Likes

Is he ahead of schedule?
Already training with the footy and would need just a week of contact drills. Certainly he plays before finals?

Theyre saying 3/4 weeks. I assume hes back for Week 1 of finals. R23 at best.

Even if he misses R23, he can get a week of match practice during the pre-finals bye by playing the first week of VFL finals. Same goes for TBC. Thanks to rule 20(g).

(g) Despite any other provision in Rule 20, in circumstances where:

(i) an AFL Club is participating in the AFL Finals Series, but is not playing on the weekend of the AFL bye weekend after the final round of the AFL home and away season; and

(ii) the AFL Club’s VFL team is playing on that weekend,

any AFL listed player who did not play in the AFL Club’s AFL team in the final round of the AFL home and away season will be eligible to play in the Club’s VFL team in the AFL bye round after the final round of the AFL home and away season.

2 Likes

Could be an interesting selection issue against the Pies. He has to come in, but if Ambrose and Franga are doing well…

I like the idea of not playing him round 23, then playing him in the VFL during the bye week.

Make sure he is cherry ripe coz pies will test the should in round 23 given that we will probably play them 2 weeks later

2 Likes

I like that idea he often comes back a little rusty after injury. Couple of games to get him up and going before finials would help immensely.

Having Hurls and Belly come in week one of finals after a VFL game is a good outcome.

1 Like

I’ve queried if the cliff was coming a few times…and then he does that.

I’ll accept that middle finger Hurls. What a star.

12 Likes

Best game i’ve seen him play this year.

7 Likes

Dal Santo made a point about how much talking and directing he was doing behind the play. Specifically telling players when to be pushing up the field. Certainly we set the field up better tonight than at any point since he went down. I certainly underestimated his importance in this regard.

8 Likes

I previously thought Hooker did most of that. I think I was wrong

2 Likes

Haven’t been his biggest fan in the last couple of years but our defence looks so much better with him in the backline.

1 Like

He plays like this all the time. You just don’t notice unless he’s been missing for a while and the team looks ■■■■.

14 Likes