#18 Michael Hurley -- now coaching

Absolute general tonight.

3 Likes

Historically great on return from injury

1 Like

Never could understand the constant criticism of Hurley on here.

He’s clearly a gun.

5 Likes

He does it all the time. I’ve never understood the lack of love for Hurls by some on here. Still so important to the team. Glad to see him back where he belongs.

Edit: just read through the last few posts so happy to reiterate rather than state what a champ he is.

2 Likes

And marshall. l will have him in my Nobby votes for tonight. He set up the win early, when they were pressing forward. Many telling marks taken.

1 Like

I’ve been a critic, but he certainly played very well tonight. The spell may have been a blessing in disguise cause he looks fit & well.

“Hurley’s first game back always sucks” — get thee in the cannon, Blitz.

3 Likes

I’ve been a huge critic of his, especially this season.

But that was a great performance and he gained a lot of respect from me for playing with an injury that could have rightly ended his season all together.

He was strapped up to the hilt and one big hit and he could’ve been in trouble.

Massive kudos to the guy.

1 Like

Yeah it’s actually the opposite. I posted some numbers earlier in the week that show he’s usually very good coming back in from an injury.

1 Like

I think it’s because we have the most miserable bunch of absolute ■■■■■ on here that you wouldn’t even wish on fark Carlton.

15 Likes

^^^ True, but every team has them I guess.

I’ve been a critic of him the last few years. He was absolutely outstanding last night though. Well done big fella

1 Like

Big call King.

I hope Hurls is back in the leadership group next year where he should be.

“The exit of a coach was happening before our very eyes. There wasn’t a person in the football world that said he’d be right. Let’s back him in,” he told *SEN’s Whateley.

“They lost contested possession by 54, they lost clearance by 14 and yet they had total control of that game.

“I think the leadership of Michael Hurley on this group is profound. He’s their best leader. Make no mistake about that.

“His organisation, the way he handles that back six, the way he steers that club.

3 Likes

Loved watching him direct the backline. Went to the Gabba on Sat and watched Hodge do the same thing- he did not stop ‘coaching’ all game. Invaluable to have Hurls there for the same reason. Great game. Great leader. Great bloke.

2 Likes

I agree our backs looked good, however it helped that Freos forwardline was fairly inept.

McCarthy and Walters were their only real threats, and we were one player off our best backline ( which is still one of the best defensive units in the league).

1 Like
1 Like

He’s a great player when he’s switched on in an attacking mindset.
You could tell he was, on the weekend with his early aggressive switches of play.
The moment that stood out for me was in the 3rd? when he came off his opponent early to make a contest that resulted in a missed snap on goal rather than an easy stroll into goal.
At other times this year, where he’s been passive, he would’ve just stayed on his opponent.
Maybe that injury break has been a blessing in disguise, just to give him a mental refresh in time for the finals.

Looks like he’s shooting hoops.

Any word on what the injury is or how bad?

I’m guessing they’ll do scans tommorow.