#18 Lewis Hayes

Awesome get, an U18 all Australian , and using a pick we half expected to forego to match a bid on Alwyn Davies !!

3 Likes

Yes, I don’t understand the bidding system too well, but because clubs were late to bid on Alwyn did that mean we could use a higher pick on a player than what we might have expected? Good win for dons if so.

Do we still have list spaces? This is the area we need to address in 2023 and 2024, another tall defender. I reckon we need to look at a semi-spud who has been delisted by another club simply to be a big body in the backline until our young kids are developed enough

With no bid coming early, it meant we didn’t have the use pick 22 on Davey. We could then use this selection to pick Hayes.

2 Likes

Moves pretty well for a 200cm player.

Hopefully a tall Sean Wellman for us.

1 Like

Testing results for Lewis Hayes

Vertical Jump 58cm (Average)
Running Vertical 74cm (Average)
20m 2.99 (Elite for a player almost 200cm)
Agility 8.67 (Average but Above Average for his height)
2km 7.20 but would have been under 6.55 if he didn’t collapse near the end which puts him at about Average

Was 197.1cm in March and grew to 198.7 in October so looks on track to get to 200cm atleast

31 Likes

The best key backs have great closing speed, so the time of 2.99 gives him one of the key tools for success.

The key will be building both size & endurance. These things take time so don’t except to see him early.

I think I heard someone say Cloke coached him, if that is the case we likely had some greater inside knowledge of his capabilities and how quickly he learns.

9 Likes

Yeah, and I definitely do not see any dynamism amongst the four other recruits …

1 Like

Short term I can see Reid and BZT filling the two KPDpositions with Laverde in that 3rd tall role that would then relegate Kelly to a coaching role in the twos.

Long term Reid is better suited to CHB imo. Hayes seems a natural FB leaving Laverde to play as the experienced medium/3rd tall defender until he retires.

Ridley will continue as the sweeper. McGrath, Massimo, and Redman as the small defenders.

We need that future defensive group to play as much footy together as possible and from this year we should have Ridley, Reid, Laverde, McGrath, Redman and Massimo all in the starting lineup on their own merit

8 Likes

On merit alone Reid isn’t there yet. Training form might get him there.

3 Likes

You mean like Weitering, or B McKay, or Lever, or Balta or … hang on a second!

2 Likes

FC picked up 3 All-Australians? Bloody hell.

What is this madness…who posts football teams horizontally and from right to left…?

15 Likes

Haha, exactly what i thought when i saw it. Took me about 3 minutes to work out what i was looking at.

1 Like
28 Likes

I see your list and raise you Darcy Moore, James Sicily, Jeremy Howe, Liam Jones, Tom and Paddy McCartin.

“Majority” was clearly an exaggeration but stand by the premise that a lot of elite defenders began their AFL careers as forwards.

PS. Noah Balta was predominantly played as a forward/ ruck before trialling as a defender for vic metro in his draft year which just proves my point.

1 Like

It doesn’t prove your point. Clearly plenty of kids who play KP defence at U18 level go onto become champion defenders. Hell, Hurley for us is another example.

1 Like

And Hooker is another example of mine. Already admitted majority was an exaggeration, move on…

Ok, if you’re willing to backtrack majority, I’m ok.

The point is, plenty of top defenders get selected who go on and become top defenders.