#18 Lewis Hayes

I don’t think so. He’s still got some work to do on his fitness and strength before we bring him in, I imagine. He’s looked pretty good at VFL level, but he’d get monstered by AFL forwards.

Baldwin’s probably the best option as a straight replacement at the moment. He’s still learning, so it’s not ideal, but he’s at least got an AFL-ready body and solid skills.

1 Like

Was Lewis on Schache when he kicked his bag on us in the VFL?
I think he was.
If it was him, then that’s probably your answer right there.

1 Like

I like Lewis Hayes and think he will be a good player, as far as bringing him in to the AFL.

Nope, he is not ready for that, maybe next season.

10 Likes

That thought doesn’t fill me with confidence.

1 Like

Very little chat about Hayes. Looks to be building on his game nicely for a young KP kid.

Anyone got any comments that has seen him play in the last couple of weeks?

2 Likes

Assume you have seen this on the Bombers web site.

Pretty impressive.

Published 1 day ago

Lewis Hayes

21 disposals, 18 kicks, 10 marks

‘Hayesy’ had some awesome moments, and it was nice exposure to test himself against some older and more mature bodies. His ability to get back to intercept and help out his teammates was really pleasing.

Not sure how many marks were contested or intercept but I think he’s going to be a gun.

27 Likes

It’s pleasing to see. Reid at this stage is looking like a bust so we really need Hayes to be a draft steal to offset that.

1 Like

He just turned 21

9 Likes

He doesn’t play. Basically a permanent fixture in the rehab group. So to me he’s getting into bust territory.

4 Likes

2MP is all you need as an example of big players taking time. Waaaaaaaay too early to call Reid a bust.

9 Likes

I’ve been watching his progress. I’m very impressed with him. He’s a good mover, finds good positions, has smarts, takes a nice mark and uses it well. He just needs time to develop fitness and strength.

Memo: Let him develop at his own pace, not expedite weights programs. No more stress injuries!!

8 Likes

Rubbish. He just needs clubs support in getting his body fit and allow his development physically to progress at a steady pace. Two preseasons and 40 games and he will be a completely different player. He’s a gun. Only question is whether Essendon can provide him the program to become the player he should be.

No, there are legit questions around whether his body can hold up to AFL footy, regardless of our program.

5 Likes

Besides Blitzers, who are raising those legit questions? Apologies if that sounds condescending, I don’t mean to be; I’m genuinely curious.

2 Likes

He’s 199cm and 84 kg. I.e., a stick insect. True, he’s only 18 and likely to put on weight over time, but whether he’ll get to 96kg+, which is where he would need to be, is pretty doubtful I would guess.

Oh please. If he’s developed effectively then there’s no reason why he can’t handle it. It’s not only Essendon that recruit lightly framed young key position players. Dustin Fletcher did ok!

1 Like

It’s become an ‘Essendon’ only phenomenon this skinny young player thing. A sort of psychosis.

1 Like

he’s 202cm and 90kg

who the hell are you talking about

edit: I assume Hayes, which is a pretty early melt

1 Like

What was Harry McKay, Tim English, Sam Darcy???

1 Like

Without looking it up, I’d guess Reid’s played about 20 games in the last 4 years. You can’t be developed if your not playing.

1 Like