2 Andrew Stephens 16 Brendan Hosking 25 Shaun Ryan and making sense of their destruction

John Faine, who is not an Essendon supporter said on the ABC this morning that we were robbed by the umpires. he said that some of the decisions especially in the last quarter were in explicable.

15 Likes

Worst (non)decision of the day was the non payment of a HTB followed up 10 seconds later by the in the back free kick paid to C Brown which resulted in their last goal. That was the game killer.

4 Likes

I agree with your first point re umpiring until half time even though we were on the wrong side of the ledger (8-5 Collingwood IIRC). I actually felt quite positively at half time, I thought Collingwood were clearly better in to that point and we were only 15pts and hadn’t fired a shot! The mystifying decisions were all post half time IMO. The free kick to Cox when hooker out bodies him to take a Mark was ridiculous and the start of the rot. The blatant high tackles not paid to Walla just defy logic, especially when they pay one to Pendlebury ducking into one. The non calls for Holding The Ball against Hoskin Elliott and Crisp where EVERY player stops just cannot be justified. Then the two decisions in the last 30 seconds just top it off. Stephenson one handed throw and Brown gets the in the back free kick. That series of events just cannot have a logical explanation. I think this sums it up best, a text I got from one of my mates, a one eyed Collingwood supporter “My lord, I wish we had those umpires in the Granny cos Pendles would’ve got another medal and a cup”.

19 Likes

I actually thought the worst of all was the Moore holding the ball non call. Takes multiple steps, gets run down, misses the kick, play on. I cannot see any excuse, however remote and laughable, to not pay that free kick. It was literally unbelievable and inexplicable. Both umpires in that area should be instantly sacked as not up to the job. It also seemed to set the pattern for subsequent disgraceful decisions.

We have Essendon being fined for a late change essentially because of gambling impact, whilst those actually adjudicating the game can directly impact the result through incompetence. This game has totally lost its way.

36 Likes

On the fine, did the change the rules? because the only precident I can see is in 2016 wherby from memory Hawthorn copper 2.5k and Collingwood copped 5k.

The Stephenson throw upset me.
You can cop knocked out in the tackle, but not a one-handed flick up to a teammate.

9 Likes

The Crisp one was genuinely the worst non-decision I have ever seen.

Goes for a run, takes like 10-15 steps, run down from behind, tackler tackled him clearly around the midriff and brought him to ground. If there is a video explaining what holding the ball is then this incident should be on it. Absolutely unbelievable

7 Likes

What is frustrating is that the umpires pick frees from stuff that is actually really hard to see and making calls like holding from two players wrestling each other. But some of the stuff we are discussing from yesterday were very clear cut decisions. I’d like to see footage of where the umpires were standing/looking in relation to those incidents

1 Like

My fear is the sling tackle will go unreported because it would show up yet another free kick missed.

5 Likes

And can I add my voice to the chorus of most angry after a game ever. I tossed and turned all last night because I was still so furious (and I normally get over losses very quickly). Still seething

13 Likes

The missed frees were bad. Worse was the time-wasting when Brown lined up in the last minute for his kick. The umpires made no attempt to move him on.

5 Likes

Ryan is the only name I recognise. Perhaps I don’t pay attention. But did they send two relative rookies out for the biggest H&A game of the year?

1 Like

If any supporter with a bit of time on their hands could put together a montage of bad decisions then I’d love to watch it just for lolz … and to show a Collingwood supporter who sits near me, who this morning wheeled out the old chestnut “the umpiring was bad for both sides”. I let him know my thoughts in no uncertain terms.

3 Likes

I would love for Worsfold to publicly invite Gil to a nice cafe this week for a coffee date with some umpire vision.

“I would like to please receive the same treatment Alistair Clarkson receives, Gil. Or do I need to hit someone at a children’s football game on several occasions before I do?”

6 Likes

I agree…and earlier in the game Heppell gets ridden into the ground a la C Brown and gets done for htb or incorrect dosposal.

The inconsistencies are infuriating, not just in our games but across the board in all games.

It has fair dinkum become unbearable to watch any games this year due to the appalling standard of umpiring that we’ve been subjected to this season.

5 Likes

Didn’t Woosha do that last year and we were still shafted by the maggots the following week?

To be fair, they did do a hurry-up whistle (not play on) after 36 seconds.

1 Like

Not to mention that a few seconds also ticked by after the point was signalled (I discovered from watching the last 2 mins on YouTube)

1 Like

On the htb issue , that ■■■■ has gone mental this year , the interpretation changes from umpire ro umpire, qtr to qtr , game to game , week to week.

They pull out one free kick, say the oh you made no effort to get rid of it, then followed up by all i need is an attempt. Then 10 other instances of that in the same qtr go un punished.

Then the same with the ball getting knocked out in a tackle, they pay some then let some go.

Same with players kicking or attempring to handball , some get paid , some dont.

Prior opportunity same deal.

People say its the changing of the rules blah blah and dont blame the umps.
But when you sit down and look at it , you have 18 x 3 umpires per game, so thats 54 umpires any given round having essentially 54 different interpretations over the course of one weeks football.

And people wonder why fans get ■■■■■■

1 Like

It’s not one incident or even two. Even if it was the last 5 secs and that bad free cost us the game. Sure you’d be ■■■■■■ and it would hurt a lot - but mistakes happen and it’s part of the game and you have to suck it up. But yesterday it was not one or two, it was a lot of really poor decisions. Decisions where the players from BOTH sides stopped. That was the problem. AFL should acknowledge it and say it was not good enough.

4 Likes