2 Andrew Stephens 16 Brendan Hosking 25 Shaun Ryan and making sense of their destruction

More footage of Pendlebury

1 Like

I finally feel like I can post something- now at the airport ready to fly home. Will admit I didn’t like the booing - mainly in the context of ANZAC day, but I totally get the anger & frustration of supporters. The umpiring all day, but especially in the last quarter was nothing short of unbelievably bad & really cost us the game when we’d fought so hard to get back into it.
Won’t be watching any footy stuff before the Geelong game. Hope our injuries aren’t too bad & we can bounce back.
Just feel so angry & deflated.

3 Likes

Generally speaking, the nominal ability of three umps to have more eyes on the ball than two seems to be outweighed by the inconsistency introduced.

There are still at least a dozen times every game that the ump is on the wrong side of the pack or tackle and therefore doesn’t see the obvious throw etc.

(Yes, I know the “answer” to that is four umps who stay on the outside like the fans.)

1511445141-giphy

Even a Gif comparing Tippa being decapitated to Pendle’s blatant ducking free would illustrate why the end of game booing took place .

14 Likes

https://twitter.com/CharlieDons

7 Likes

so the umpire can’t see that !!! ???

24%20am

14 Likes

To be fair, there’s not much contrast between that arm and TIPPA.

24 Likes

If that’s the umpire in control at that point he should be sacked on positioning alone

2 Likes

Thanks to @CharlieDons, but it makes for very disturbing viewing.

1 Like

Or let boundary umpires make calls on HTB and incorrect disposal. I know as a former boundary umpire that you have an angle that the central umpires don’t have and quite often you and the crowd see the same thing that the central umpires don’t. Linesmen/lineswomen do have some mandate to make calls in soccer regarding fouls (not talking about offside).

2 Likes

The greatest cheating disgrace I’ve seen in professional sport ever Bomber fans you should be up in arms that’s just pitiful an absolute joke

Ricky Nixon

8 Likes

Armist!

Gill has actually handled this pretty well. but i will expect nothing will come from the “review”

1 Like

Maybe they’re racist aswell.

1 Like

No, I don’t recall Woosha ever hitting another spectator at a children’s football game on multiple occasions.

All jokes aside, I don’t remember Woosha doing that, but if it did happen, I’m not surprised in the slightest that it changed nothing

2 Likes

Get old mate Bruce “I can only sit up in bed for 30mins a day” Francis to write it for you

So this is from a Hawks fan (HB Meyers @themongrelpunt)

I can think of two he’s missed (two more to Collingwood): the shepherd/block on Hooker by Cox, and the Pendlebury duck). Any others, either way?

FIRST QUARTER – 3.53 REMEAINING - Obvious free kick to Jake Stringer with Howe pushing him in the back

Stringer hit the half-volley at speed on the near half forward flank. As he gathered, Howe cannoned into his back, taking both men forward. There was no call, with the Pies then clearing with a chain of handballs. That’s 1-0 Collingwood.

SECOND QUARTER 17.06 REMAINING – Grundy tackles Matt Guelfi inside 50 and gives away an in the back free.

Grundy falls to the turf with Guelfi in the tackle and does everything to stay out of his back. Not enough for the umpire, who gifts Guelfi a shot at goal. The score is now 1-1

THIRD QUARTER 18.39 REMAINING – Pendlebury gets Tippa holding the ball

The second part of the tackle was fine, with Pendles taking Tippa to the ground, but the first contact is high, and play is allowed to continue until Pendles drags him down. So this is a missed free kick to Essendon, and a paid free kick to Collingwood. Double points! The Pies go up 3-1

THIRD QUARTER 14.29 REMAINING – Cale Hooker pinged for basically being too strong for Mason Cox

A marking contest at full forward, and Hooker uses his body to muscle Cox out of position and almost pulls in the mark (he claims he did, but he definitely didn’t). The whistle goes and the ump craps on about Hooker taking the body of Cox, which he did LEGALLY and almost marked the ball. Shocking decision. Pies now up 4-1 in the crap free kick stakes.

THIRD QUARTER – 1.57 REMAINING – No call on an obvious holding the ball decision.

Darcy Moore got the handball from Travis Varcoe, went to kick and was claimed by Zach Merrett. Great tackle and incorrect disposal… but no whistle. Pies 5-1

FOURTH QUARTER – 16.03 REMAINING – Massive no call. All players stop.

Mason Redman lays a great tackle on Will Hoskin-Elliott and he clearly throws the ball in an attempt to get rid of it. McKenna grabs the ball and stops, not wanting to take the advantage, but the umpire has called play on, deeming the disposal legal? Oh my…

Josh Thomas also stops, and looks a bit shocked as the ump again calls play on. Essendon clear.

That’s 6-1 in the crap free count.

FOURTH QUARTER – 12.42 REMAINING - No call on a too high free to Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti.

Holy crap… how was this missed? A terribly shallow throw in sees the ball hit the ground in front of both rucks. Tippa runs onto it and Grundy reaches out and basically hooks him round the neck.

No.

Whistle.

7-1

FOURTH QUARTER – 11.41 REMAINING – Jack Crisp dragged down after avoiding another tackle. No call

This is getting a little ridiculous, huh? And if you’re a Collingwood supporter, you may think I am being selective. Not the case. I was taking notes without a dog in the fight.

Crisp runs to half forward and steps the attempted tackle from Mark Baguley. As he gets inside, Joe Daniher nails him with another tackle. Everyone stops. Not just one or two. EVERYONE STOPS. The free kick is so ■■■■■■ obvious that everyone knows it’s there except three umpires. An absolute howler. 8-1

FOURTH QUARTER – 8.44 REMAINING – Mark Baguley awarded a holding decision

Oh look, one back the other way! Baguley and Tom Langdon are wrestling for position in the forward pocket as Merrett snaps toward them. They’re holding each other… might be time to pluck a free kick? Yep, give it to Baguley who kicks a goal. Ugh…

8-2

FOURTH QUARTER – 1.09 REMAINING – Stephenson caught holding the ball – no call.

A long ball inside 50 sees the ball spill to Jaidyn Stephenson. He’s dragged down by one arm in a tackle by Matt Guelfi, and throws the ball away. No call. Ridley then falls into the back of Callum Brown and a free kick is awarded in front of goal.

That kick to Brown is definitely there, but it should never have eventuated.

TOTAL – 9-2 in favour of the Pies.

8 Likes

tippa had 2 or 3 head high tackles missed not 1

6 Likes

Gil backing us, says we booed the run of the green, not Pendlebury.

3 Likes