2 Andrew Stephens 16 Brendan Hosking 25 Shaun Ryan and making sense of their destruction

That says it all . He should be sacked . That answers my previous question .When the entire AFL corporation knows how important their boss considers Collingwood success . How close he is to Eddie . This permeates the corporation . The umpires are part of the corporation . When a decision that would cost Collinwood a close game is there to be made , the pressure is not to call it .

7 Likes

I guess there are no rules or law regarding afl commissioners our employees also having a stake in betting companies?

At the President 's lunch, there was a photo taken of them sitting opposite each other (with partners), couldn’t see X but as host he would be 'circulating '.

Shaun Ryan is a senior umpire but the other 2 didn’t umpire any finals last year - why were they chosen for the biggest home & away match of the year?

3 Likes

instructions from Hocking to umps through the intercom - must finish now, it’s in the contract with C7 so they can run the nationwide news. It’s not cricket, unlike the time they let Chappell get his ton.

2 Likes

Geez you lot are a bunch of tin foil hat wearing nuff nuffs.

This thread is hilarious.

There is no conspiracy. The umpiring of footy is ordinary and the rules too complicated. The Dons didnt get the rub of the green and lost a close one.

None of you could handle soccer, where the best side loses often and one bad call or a bit of luck decides matches often.

4 Likes

Collingwood supporter behind was raving and ranting behind for the first three quarters which i thought was quite unfair, as in my view, the umpiring had been reasonable with the odd exception.

But that last quarter was unbelievable. Frees that had been paid all day were completely ignored. The rules don’t change. And they kept the ball in Collingwood ‘s fifty for pretty much the five minutes.

We didn’t help ourselves with those errant kicks to the centre (Shiel? And Tippa) and that dropped plum pud by Joe.

1 Like

Is that you Gil?

7 Likes

The need for all the technology is so no one has to take responsibility for making a decision.

Albeit the wrong one or the right one, has it actually improved anything at all?

Hard to say whether umpires are corrupt or just incompetent. I have thought for a long time if anyone wanted to influence the outcome of a game the easiest way would be to bribe an umpire or two. I am not saying this is happening but it seems to me this is weak link that could be exploited. Easy on all fronts because coaches and clubs are not allowed to publicly question their performance.
For that reason the afl should be hyper vigilant on their performance. The amount of money that goes into betting is a good reason to be concerned.

6 Likes

Just a normal relationship right? Nothing to see here

5 Likes

Is that kiss from ANZAC day?

Surely not

I really can’t buy the corrupt theory. Incompetent - undoubtedly, possibly personally biased, but to declare them corrupt is a huge step. Mind you that wasn’t what I was saying 5.30 Thursday night.

Time for a few in here to pick up the bottom lips now I reckon.

2 Likes

A good thread, and a necessary one. The next steps to take?

A carefully worded banner, needs to be provocative without being too controversial. Something simple about playing by the rules.
2. A complete review of the chumpires from the game. They should be demoted at the very least, for their blatant incompetence. Those chumps also need to be investigated for any possible links to bets (not that l believe there are any), unfortunately l don’t trust the AFaiL integrity unit to conduct such an examination. Being fired (out of a cannon or from their job), should also a distinct possibility, such was the level of their incompetence.
3. Through official channels, the club needs to ask what is going on, as the officiating was nowhere near the required standards for a top level, professional sports code.
4. Grog Squad? Over to you to come up with something appropriate.
5. Crowd involvement. Boo long and loud when the chumps get it wrong. Make sure they know we are on to them, and put some pressure on them to perform.

This is an unfortunate issue to surface on ANZAC day. The day is a great chance for us all to remember those who have fallen and paid the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom. In this case the issue has surfaced because of the less than stellar performance of those in charge of running the game.

2 Likes

Having observed the political and power machinations during the Saga and the lack of genuine governance, understanding and control that the AFL has I’d suggest that it’s absolutely ripe for bribery to take place undetected. The integrity unit are as dysfunctional as the front office. I’m less emphatic than I was a couple of days ago, but nevertheless open to the potential for this to take place. Also happened to know a couple of umpires many years ago, one of whom I worked with as a client… And the way you’d describe him was as a power crazed narcissist who loved control… said that there’s nothing better than being able to influence the emotions of the crowd with his whistle. Make of that what you will.

6 Likes

Yep

(Or maybe not…)

No, I think its from the Richmond-Collingwood final last year.

Umpire from the game on sen now defending all the decisions

1 Like

Listening to it now, and it’s making me ■■■■■■■ sick. Even defended the stephenson decision.

1 Like