2013 benfti hype thread

Pace, skill and footy IQ can substitute for height....

Especially with the militant enforcement of high tackles. Time was a short bloke accepted the risk of having his head taken off, now being short is the easiest way to get frees.

Here is my question on Garlett.

How was his year this year in comparison to last year? Was it SO much better, that he goes from 'nobody touch him, even with a rookie pick' to a potential second rounder in just 12 months? Has he had a personality transplant? 

If we end up losing Crameri and get a pick we 'should' have had anyway, and we use that pick on a guy we easily could have got in the PSD draft last year, I'm not sure that's a good result.

But then again, if he is as good as people are saying... better to get him than let somebody else get him I suppose.  

So hard to predict, it will only take 2 teams to show interest and then it will be a game of chicken to see who goes first, obviously more than 3 are because he has a combine invite. If he tests well I'm thinking 2nd round

Then if we can play hard ball with the Dogs on Crameri and get a 2nd round pick we might be in with a chance....let my fantasies run wild with this one...in a football sense that is...

How was his year this year in comparison to last year? Was it SO much better, that he goes from 'nobody touch him, even with a rookie pick' to a potential second rounder in just 12 months? Has he had a personality transplant?
If we end up losing Crameri and get a pick we 'should' have had anyway, and we use that pick on a guy we easily could have got in the PSD draft last year, I'm not sure that's a good result.
But then again, if he is as good as people are saying... better to get him than let somebody else get him I suppose.

His ability has never been in question, he was a top 10 pick in last years draft which was a significantly better crop than this years, and he has developed well this year from last. His attitude was always the question mark. Now this season he has knuckled down largely due to his girlfriend who got him away from all the distractions and got him focused. He is studying full time doing well from all reports.

This thread always gets me excited and with such a rotten season just past I am going to indulge myself and buy into all the hype!
For me, the most interesting thing in this coming draft will be where does Garlett go? Every club is having a look at him and he (football wise) had the season that his talent suggests he should have.
Any guess? I am thinking round 2 but I have no basis other than I think there seems to be 20+ kids with talent and without potential issues to get picked first.

Add about 50 places to Benfti's predictions. 2nd round = early rookie

If Garett's attitude is so impressive this year, how has he managed only 31 tackles from 19 games? I can't think of any current small forwards who tackle at that rate at AFL level, and small forwards are now measured more on tackling and pressure acts than goals scored.

His ability has never been in question, he was a top 10 pick in last years draft which was a significantly better crop than this years, and he has developed well this year from last. His attitude was always the question mark. Now this season he has knuckled down largely due to his girlfriend who got him away from all the distractions and got him focused. He is studying full time doing well from all reports.

Ah, cheers.

Yeah, I knew his ability was always rated, I just wasn't sure if he'd had such a good year that teams would now ignore his attitude problems, or if he'd actually settled down a bit. 

■■■■■■ girlfriends, always trying to stop you from having fun with your mates  :lol:

If Garett's attitude is so impressive this year, how has he managed only 31 tackles from 19 games? I can't think of any current small forwards who tackle at that rate at AFL level, and small forwards are now measured more on tackling and pressure acts than goals scored.

It's a bit categoric to say that without having seen a lot of him at the level, in that gameplan and see what role they play him in, isn't it?

If Garett's attitude is so impressive this year, how has he managed only 31 tackles from 19 games? I can't think of any current small forwards who tackle at that rate at AFL level, and small forwards are now measured more on tackling and pressure acts than goals scored.

It's a bit categoric to say that without having seen a lot of him at the level, in that gameplan and see what role they play him in, isn't it?

Which is why I asked the question. Seems a pretty reasonable question considering he's only tackling 1.5 times a game, he's supposedly very quick, and he's likely to play a role at AFL that demands a high commitment to defensive pressure.

Midfield, and take WAFL stats with a grain of salt

Which is why I asked the question. Seems a pretty reasonable question considering he's only tackling 1.5 times a game, he's supposedly very quick, and he's likely to play a role at AFL that demands a high commitment to defensive pressure.
So... you linked it to his attitude because...?

Which is why I asked the question. Seems a pretty reasonable question considering he's only tackling 1.5 times a game, he's supposedly very quick, and he's likely to play a role at AFL that demands a high commitment to defensive pressure.

Most of the talk about his attitude improvement has been about his off field improvement, his on field stuff didn't have any serious question marks as far as I'm aware. Not saying his pressure ability isn't a relevant question, just that it's not what people are referring to when they talk about his attitude.

It's Big Kev time!

Oh and all this talk of Garlett getting back on the straight & narrow this year, you sure you have the info right.  He has lost the missus, the wheels have fallen off and he is out partying every weekend.......nudge, nudge, wink wink!!!*

*May not be entirely accurate owing to masive self-interest in seeing him slide to a late enough pick in the draft so that the unfairly punished bombers have a slight chance of picking him up this year when they should have done so last year.

Most of the talk about his attitude improvement has been about his off field improvement, his on field stuff didn't have any serious question marks as far as I'm aware. Not saying his pressure ability isn't a relevant question, just that it's not what people are referring to when they talk about his attitude.

indeed, I think some wires are being crossed here. Or is it hairs split?

For once and always, isn’t it Gartlett? I know it’s not Garrett, and I thought Carlton had an unrelated Garlett. Not being Nazi here, just want to get the lad’s name right

Benfti can you rank the names in order of rating?

Also you mention Marlon is on parole, are you sure? I thought he’d served his sentence.

Also throw fkg everything at Willie Rioli. We need him. Gun.

Benfti can you rank the names in order of rating?
Also you mention Marlon is on parole, are you sure? I thought he'd served his sentence.
Also throw fkg everything at Willie Rioli. We need him. Gun.

except food..may need to keep that hidden away.......... ;)

Stop kidding yourselves everyone, as if boring bat ■■■■ Essington is going to pick up a black player, especially one with previous off field issues. Our recruiters and coaches just don’t go there anymore.

From a purely Onfield perspective - he finished top 10 in the sandover medal and I have no doubt he could kick 25 goals at senior level next year. It has never been about ability. Mid year I heard he may be having some issues again but in our position I really don't think we can afford to overlook him - it will be about the infrastructure around him.