2017 Draft picks actually picked

Ooooh boy

Essendon excited by draft haul after snaring pizza delivery man, fruit-picker and electrician

JAY CLARK, Herald Sun
November 26, 2017

BRANDON Zerk-Thatcher got drafted to Essendon and then went back to work. As a pizza delivery man.

Essendon’s newest key defender made a promise that whatever happened in Friday night’s national draft, he was always going to front up for work at Murray Bridge Pizza Hut the next day.

“I said I would do that shift and I wanted to stick to my word,” Zerk-Thatcher told the Herald Sun.

“I was so happy to get drafted and it was nice to be able to say goodbye to my workmates and thank my boss for allowing me to train with Sturt (during the week).”

But the 19-year-old’s days of handing out Hawaiians are over.

Zerk-Thatcher made the two-hour round-trip from his home in Murray Bridge to Sturt and back four days a week, relentlessly pursuing his AFL dream.

The 195cm Bomber was originally a ruck-forward, but Essendon’s recruiters were the ones who suggested he move into defence early last year, with great success.

List boss Adrian Dodoro said the No.66 pick had shown great potential and was part of the long-term planning for the back half.

“We wanted to bring in another key defender and he clearly has natural defensive craft,” Dodoro said.

“He is really good in the marking contests, he wins one-on-ones and there is a lot of upside there.”

But he isn’t the only Essendon draftee who already knows the value of a hard day’s work.

When Jordan Houlahan wasn’t sitting on top of peoples’ heads like Magpie Jeremy Howe, the 185cm South Australian forward was picking apples on an orchard.

Essendon’s No.49 pick from Friday night’s national draft was regarded as one the most exciting aerialists in this year’s talent pool, but the Bombers have high hopes the spring-heeled sharpshooter, and full-time fruit-picker, will push into the midfield.

“He has got some freakish ability and some real speed and aggression,” Dodoro said.

“And he can jump. There’s a bit of Jeremy Howe the way he flies for the ball, so there’s a lot of talent there.

“But we think he can really push up the ground because he has got a good natural engine.”

Houlahan finished fourth in the running vertical leap test (95cm) and aced the goal kicking challenge, scoring a perfect 30 out of 30 in October.

Completing the Bombers’ trifecta was Claremont mature-age ball-winner Matt Guelfi, 20.

He’s the electrician with a hard-nosed attack on the ball and huge work ethic.

Dodoro said his versatility and team ethos was a “coach’s dream”.

“He is a guy who really deserves an opportunity at AFL level,” Dodoro said.

“He can play mid, back and forward and his statistics probably aren’t a true reflection of his ability because this year they threw him around a lot and he would play as a tagger, then back pocket, then defensive forward.

“But he kicks the ball really well and we felt by losing Ben Howlett, Brent Stanton and Heath Hocking we could do with another competitive midfielder.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/essendon/essendon-excited-by-draft-haul-after-snaring-pizza-delivery-man-fruitpicker-and-electrician/news-story/92a8085b190c6db7ef5493d25b3a8fc2?login=1

10 Likes

I don’t know about what others think, but this article says some stuff that makes me feel really comfortable with B-Zerker. Looks like we have had our eye on him for a while and even suggested he was moved in to a position we would like to see him in. Certainly sounds like he is a pretty grounded, country boy, what’s not to like?

He might also win a mark of the year award ahead of Jeremy Howe, to take the total on our list to two!

2 Likes

In terms of having our eyes on him for a while, Dodoro said as much post draft. They were relieved he was still there as all the KPP were going and they wanted to use that pick on one.

I have not seen any post draft interviews, I have only read comments on Blitz that some posters thought (from the post draft interviews of the recruiting staff) that we were getting players that were either sub-standard or that ones we wanted were taken already.

Not at all. Watching the draft it seemed clear we had someone else in mind (probably a mid) for our first pick but after some debate switched to Houlahan because we couldn’t let someone of his quality slide.

As already reported Zerk-Thatcher was part of our long term planning so no surprise.

It also seemed we were planning to pass on our 3rd pick and take 2 rookies but as with Houlahan I don’t think we expected Guelfi to be available so late. My impression is we decided to take Guelphi in the main draft rather than risk missing out in the rookie draft.

I have no doubt the recruiting team were very happy with the draft considering the lateness of the picks.

Although there is a way to go I can easily see Houlahan as a best 22 down the track - looks all class. Parish and McGrath are already young stars and I can see Francis, Begley, Houlahan, Ridley and Draper joining them. Exciting times ahead for Bombers players and fans.

9 Likes

Clearly we’ve been playing the long game.

Back Pocket is a likely career path I reckon.

What time is the rookie draft?

5pm

is it 5pm yet?

1 Like

Given no one had any idea how many picks we have, I’m going to assume 2 (even if Dodoro days 1)

Day/Parish/Grant
Narrier/Milera/Floyd

1 X potential inside with size. 1 x outside with pace and quality disposal.

Someone mentioned Houlahan kicked 4 from the goal square in the 18s grand final - but this says he was an apple picker, not a cherry picker.

1 Like

If you live in Tonga it is.

4 Likes

Welcome to Essendon Trent Mynott