2017 EFC AGM It started with a leak

They must be the most clueless, halfwits of all time then

3 Likes

Hey Darli,
Will let Simon answer the first 3 questions
But I via the Coterie Group was one of the organisers of the Young Members Event :slight_smile:
Via the EEC we organised some prizes, booked the DJ’s, found some sponsors for showbags, organised the afterparty event and promotion on social media via artists and in kind donations by a Coterie member. It’s a team effort :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Darli,

There are 24 members. We have 5 women members and want more.

We only want a total of no more than 30 members. This is just to keep it so we can run good events and get to know each other well.

You become a member through really knowing other members and either owning a business or being a senior executive at a business. This is just how we set it up. There are so many different supporter groups and coteries that you need some criteria to join. For instance the Womens network coterie - I obviously can’t join that.

I have previously ran a younger members group that doesn’t exist anymore. It was called Essendon Emerging Leader. It was great for a few years - we had some awesome events and got heaps of people who weren’t previously involved with the bombers. We had over 100 members but in the end it was getting too difficult to run the events and we weren’t making enough profit to send back to the club. So we had to stop doing it. Then a couple of people and I came up with the Essendon Executive idea.

We contribute to club financially, through getting sponsorships, helping players with life after football 9 getting employment) And we try and get people to events. Whatever we can do. We are not some big powerful coterie. We are a group of passionate supporters who want to talk footy and help where we can.

Re the young members event - all I really did was help get people along to it and work with some guys at the club. I have been actively involved for 6 years - through all the tough times guys getting younger generations into the club and supporting it

Also as well guys, I don’t sit in some corporate box. With my father and brother (who are both mad bombers) we were lucky enough to get front row tickets at Etihad - near where the players come out about 12 years ago or something and sit there with all the other essendon members. It is brilliant. We go every home game. I am now introducing my daughter to the game who is 3 years old. She loves it.She is coming every week now. I have twin little girls who are 9 months old as well and am hoping to brig them next year (maybe the year after!!)

1 Like

I certainly sounds like you do indeed love the Club Simon.

You’ve mentioned you know the board and exec, and that they’ve done a great job. I agree with you btw. Xavier Campbell himself said that one of the most attractive things about our club is it’s stability. So why should I vote to change a board that has done so very well?

2 Likes

can’t force heff to stay.

True but we can’t vote for Heffs replacement she or he will be appointed.

Great question Darli. Yes I do believe the board has done a good job. I mean a few years ago lets be honest things weren’t great! I don’t want to say anything bad about any other candidate. All the candidates and board members want to contribute and have put there hands up to do so. I applaud them all - honestly, it isn’t easy.The club is in a good position. But we all want more.

So why vote for me? Well with any successful board whether it be for a business, footy club, not for profit or whatever you need diversity of experience and skill set. I bring diversity in that I have entrepreneurial, brand and marketing skills. We need this on the board. From my understanding, there isn’t an expert on the board with this experience (in brand and marketing I mean). I also bring diversity as I am 37 years old and have proven my ability to tap into the new generations of fans and networks that we need as part of the club. I stand for and represent the FUTURE of our great club.

I also get things done. I try hard to have an impact and will do this on the board. I want to be on the board to support the other directors and help us to get even better. I don’t want to cause any issues. I want to help achieve the vision the board has set.

I truly believe if we build a strong off field business (I mean really strong) we can invest more money into our football program - which will help achieve sustained success. I can help with this.

Being in marketing I have actually created a video of what I feel I can bring to the board.

Check this link out if you have a minute:

If this resonates with you I would love your support. If not and you want to support someone else - that is great as well. That is the beauty of the election process for our amazing club

4 Likes

I have to go to bed now. My 3 daughters will be up in a few hours!!! Happy to answer more questions when I get back on in the coming days. cheers Simon

Hi Simon

Great to see your passion for the club, and what you have achieved.

My main question is:

Are you only joining BB now to curry favour on Australia’s biggest club fan forum to gain votes or have you been a long-standing member with a different username?

If the latter you may gain (or indeed lose) votes by revealing your alias. If the former, many will suspect this is a cynical move.

Umm, and a second question - would you say you would bring to the board attention to detail?

2 Likes

Albert,

I have known Simon for many years in the Business world. He is one of the most genuine guys you will ever meet and a very good operator.

When I read in this forum he had nominated I thought he would be a great candidate but then I read some of the feedback he was getting. So I asked him to come on BB to clear the air and open himself up to questions which is a very brave thing do to (especially round here).

I have no idea if he has another alias on here but I remember last time we were choosing candidates, the ones that openly posted here gave us opportunities to ask question and find out more about them.

I think it’s a great idea and thanks Simon for giving us the time.

8 Likes

Thanks T_A.

I was just asking genuine questions. As I said, good on him for doing what he has achieved.

But we should sayto newbies that you don’t need to be brave to post on BB.

But it certainly helps to have a thick skin. (Or cognitive dissonance).

1 Like

in relation to balance of the Board, does the Board determine the Board appointee before or after Board elections?

Good governance would suggest it’s been decided. For the benefit of those voting it would be helpful if it was announced prior to the elections commencing but I have no idea of the process.

Hi Simon,
You mentioned in your video you want to develop new revenue streams with a view to reinvesting this is our football department. Isn’t their an AFL cap on football department spending?

1 Like

I believe it is a ‘soft cap’ on administrative personnel, not football department (or club) in general.

1 Like

Hi Simon.

Thanks for having the courage to front the Spanish Inquisition. It’s a really tough time to run I feel because the club is just starting to stabilise and like the on field team, the off field team needs consistency and continuity as well. In my opinion it will have to take someone special to force their way in. Your CV is certainly impressive, but let’s face it, nobody talks themselves down in these situations. So on that note, what would your weaknesses be?

Cheers.

1 Like

And good-bye from me!

Are you only joining BB now to curry favour on Australia’s biggest club fan forum to gain votes or have you been a long-standing member with a different username?

Steady on AT. If he’s joining for the first time, it doesn’t make him some slimy sycophant. Don’t we want to hear from candidates? Or do you have to have started Blitzing on a Vic20 to get a listen here?

3 Likes

I think AT was more interested in if there was a posting history. Often can give you a better feel for a candidate than a few posts this week will.

1 Like