2017 EFC AGM It started with a leak

Hey Simon. Thank you for your posts.

From my point of view you I can’t move past the Bastion thing. Have you considered a change of name. Something like “slimy bastards out to screw you PTY LTD” would seem more attractive.

I understand it may not be rational, but in my world there aren’t many more offensive words. Just sharing the way I feel.

1 Like

I have no idea if Simon is genuine or not but if he has been on social media in the past 5 years he would know his links to bastion are offensive to many Essendon fans. I dont care about the semantics of Bastion brands and Bastion group - they share a website and links to the most odius man in our club’s history. I find it arrogant that he thinks we will happily overlook this connection. He strikes me as much like our friend Gauci last time.

As we approach the festive period it once again brings around the chance ordinary Essendon members have to shape the direction of our club.
This year we know we have a minimum of 2 Board positions to vote apron and 1 position that could either be voted on or appointed by the Board.
Personally, I hope the Board Appoints someone and in my opinion, it should be either an ex- player or the players family.
Whilst it won’t happen I would love the Board to appoint someone from the Hird family.
As for the elections I am not looking at what is already on the Board rather I hope a combination of the elected people will bring these attributes to the Board.
a) An understanding of the issues, concerns, and passion from the view of an ordinary member who sits in their standard seats each weekend.
b) Bring a Professional skill not currently available on the Board
c) Drive out support and development of Women AFL
d) Have proposals to make the club more interactive and inconclusive with supporters on a real-time basis, (at a minimum Monthly)
e) Have a clear policy on how that person will strengthen the engagement of past players with the club. Of promoting our history and creating new events that involve of past champions that are affordable for the average member.
f) Demonstrate a strong independent sense of purpose with the fortitude to buck the AFL or other stakeholders if it in our club’s best interests.

I would like to congratulate the people who are standing for election, having taken that path a few years ago I understand the challenge putting your name forward bring.

Finally, a plea to Members. VOTE.
The percentage of the membership who vote at each election is a small fraction of our total membership.
If you want to have a say, don’t be a key board warrior but use your democratic right to VOTE for the candidate that you feel best represents what you want on the board.

1 Like

There are only two positions up for election. Heff will be replaced by an appointed Director.

Given Heff is the current football director, I’m guessing they will appoint someone to fill that role. Im ok with that as its an important role with a specific skill set.

While in general I support the view that all positions should be democratically elected, I can see some compromise on that stance.
Every Board person needs to have a level of business competence but that in no way should mean that are all have to be similar.
The club is made up of varies stakeholders all with a passion and desire for our club to succeed and I think the Board should represent this variety.
Why in the 21st Century we don’t have a minimum of 2 women on the Board is poor. Having said that I don’t support giving someone a role just because of their sex , rather I would like to see an environment where more women chose to stand for election. I am aware we have at least 2 women standing this time.
As for the coteries they do have a significant influence in the club and they add value to our club.
This year my wife and I decided to join the ■■■■ Reynolds coterie. We are just average working people paying of a mortgage but we thought we could afford to spend a bit more to assist our club. We have been to a few functions and yes there are the well off members but there are also many average earns as well.
My ideal Board would be:
2 ex players
2 members who represent the vast bulk of the average membership
2 people from a senior business background, each with different particular skill sets.
2 people who have made a significant contribution either due to their involvement with a coterie or sponsorship of players or in some other way.
1 leader. Someone with proven leadership qualities and capacity to unite and the get the best out of the various individuals.

We have to work with what we have and that means we currently have 6 elected and 3 appointed.
my hope is that we get a competent and effective Board that is responsive and inclusive of all.
Others may disagree, however I firmly believe you achieve this by having people in positions of power who cover the breath of the membership of our club.

Anyway its just my suggested Board and I am sure there are many holes for others to find.

The thing that surprises me is all the discussion around appointed directors like its some throwback to a bad 80’s stereotype job for the boys and elitist.

Have people actually looked at who are the appointed directors and the roles they play.

Appointed - Lindsay Tanner - Chairman
Appointed - Paul Brasher - Vice Chairman, Finance Director, Chair of audit committee
Appointed - Andrew Muir - Chair of nomination and remuneration committee
Appointed - Ken Lay - Chair of the diversity committee
Appointed - Heff- Football director.
From looking on the website the only formal role not filled by an appointed director, is VFL President which is Paul Cousins.

Apart from Heff who has his distractors the other 4 are absolute A+ grade directors and leaders. In my view we are incredibly lucky to have that group of directors as its as good as you would find on any board. Ask most people at the club and they can’t sing Brashers praises high enough, our current strong financial position is extraordinary given the past few years. Thank god he was appointed and didn’t need to be elected and be submitted to some of the muck racking thats going on over current nominees.

But, but democracy you say, well democracy can give you Donald Trump.

1 Like

Paul Brasher was originally appointed yes, but chose to put himself up for election recently because he felt the members should choose whether he stayed or not. He is currently in an elected seat.

An exceptional deputy leader. A great finance director. A lovely, humble man.

Just my two cents.

11 Likes

You must be over the moon… that’s exactly the make up of our current board.

You are most likely correct, however as far as I know the club has not made it clear that’s going to happen so i left some room in case something changes

Simon might be the best bloke for the board in the world. The fact that he chose to speak to a RAGE reporter to announce his candidacy, was unwise and naïve. I would like to know, Simon, what possessed you to make your announcement in a paper I personally hate and is hated by most of the supporter base.

The article that kicked this AGM season off, was about the other board candidate Peter Hughes. He definitely spoke to the Rage about his campaign. I think Hughes and Gai Williams have formed a ticket.

My mistake…sorry

1 Like

Peter Jackson was also an appointed Director iirc. He did so much to damage the club I have not liked the idea of appointed directors ever since.

1 Like

That’s not how I see it. Then again we all have a right to our own opinion.

We do but that’s not opinion, it’s fact. That is the exact make-up of our board as it stands today.

2 Likes

Is Gai Williams the pharmacist? She impressed me last time and would have been my 3rd vote behind Paul/Cat.

Important to keep Gauci/Cunningham away IMHO.

1 Like

This Bastion connection still has me concerned… Can anyone clarify if it absolutely has no connection to AD’s company of the same name - seems like a very big coincidence. I would love to know how James Hird is going to vote!

I think Simon is playing the Optics game… whilst he currently is the only shareholder… according to ASIC, past shareholders include…

Hamish McLaughlin - Director, Bastion Collective

Fergus Watts - Founder & Executive Chairman, Bastion Collective

Jack Watts - CEO Australian Division, Bastion Collective

James Watts - Non-Executive Chairman, Bastion Collective

3 Likes

Well that’s where our opinions differ. I don’t see the current board does represent the membership.
Anyway we won’t agree and I see no point in participating in a ping pong of our different views so will leave my comments on the matter here.