2017 EFC AGM It started with a leak

You ran for the board yourself yeah? Or am I confusing you with someone else?

is it because a couple of them aren’t from coteries?

You are correct.

No. I think that if the Board was more in tune with the feelings of the membership decisions made would of been different.
Also if the leadership had done some fortitude than we would not of rolled over to the AFL.

more buzzwords without actually saying anything.

what feelings?

grandstanding is fine until you face the actual situation.

actually, is fortitude trying to highlight the current board as inept when the clubs in its best position off field in a long time? and also has some on field credibility?

Hi Guys. My question to everyone is “What are you actually looking for in a board candidate for the bombers?” I really want to know what everyone wants. Would love to hear your thoughts. cheers Simon

Wow - BB should be encouraging all candidates to use this site to sell their message - To be brutally honest your post is rude and patronising.

My understanding it’s already been decided - I have no idea whether this is usually done before or after the public vote.

Yep, I’ve also heard this. As they’ve known for a while Heff wasn’t continuing it makes sense to have spent some time finding the best person.

There would be many variations of answers to that question. Bottom line, though, would be that members want the best for the club - for success, continued success, and the well-being of the club, players and reputations. But an educated answer can only be given by those who know exactly what the board actually needs - and is lacking. There are obvious responses to these kind of questions - almost canned responses. I’m a rather cynical ■■■■■■■, so in my opinion just about any well-run election is really just a facade. The real important decisions are already made - such as direction, and who controls it.

I’m not sure it works that way.

How about you tell us what type of Board member you will be. You’ll find out if we like what you ‘stand for’ when the votes are counted.:grinning:

1 Like

If I were ever to run for the board my platform would be to billet all the players with fans on a rotational basis and have the rooms enlarged so every fan could come in after the games.

Promote it for a few weeks on Facebook and win in a landslide :smile:

2 Likes

He explained that his introduction on this site. His Bastion Company is in no way connected to the Bastion Company which is part owned by the McLaughlin and boys and Andrew Demetriou. If that’s what you are concerned about.

1 Like

My favored type of representative is one that isn’t looking to benefit from connections made through election. Generally, they will put the interests of others before their own, and are characterized by a humble service ethic and don’t think more highly of themselves than others do of them. If they have their own business, you can get good insight from the way their staff speak about them, their corporate behavior, and the industrial conditions they create.

Oh, and I like candidates that have gained wisdom through experience. I prefer that they gain a good deal of that wisdom through service before being in positions of influence.

Regarding specific needs for our club, the one area that I think could use a little bit of uplift is the membership interface. I believe that our members have proven to be the most loyal, insightful and resilient in the country, and this should translate into the club setting the benchmark for the interface well above the AFL standard. The t-shirt initiative last year is great example where we got treated better than expected. But this has to continue. It’s a bit petty, but the members scarf this year is poor. The isc logo is stitched but the team logo is patched on. The club needed to identify that this doesn’t communicate to members that we are the best, and insisted on us having the best product in the competition.

3 Likes

It seems interesting that two companies that have nothing to do with each other allow each other to exist with almost the same name in almost the same industry. It seems like the kind of thing that most companies go to expensive legal lengths to prevent.

3 Likes

My question to anyone who cares to answer is taking the warm glow of helping the club and its members as given, what do you get out of (or expect to get out of) a seat on the board.

1 Like

If you don’t believe him, you can always check on the ASIC site of registered companies.

I’ll answer that one without the usual ‘winning a premiership’ answer that is a given for any of us - the ability to give back to a club that has given me so much joy in my 34 years on this planet. To be able to give other people experiences that I didn’t get when I was a kid following Hirdy and Wanganeen (I had a whole scrapbook of Wanganeen in 1993. I told him this year. He seemed surprised that anyone could love him that much).

I want to continue to challenge the executive to think about new ways to grow the EFC brand and create new commercial opportunities that don’t rely on gaming, and are not so heavily reliant on whether we have on-field success.

The other big thing I really want to get out of being able to have a voice in shaping the future of our football club is being able to continually push the club to challenge itself when it comes to the culture and society that it thrives in and shapes. To be able to review our connection with The Long Walk and strengthen it, our connection with the north west corridor or Bully Australia or any of the many things that affect our communities. I want the club remain focused on mental health and positive psychology both internally and externally. I want us to be leaders in the community and of community.

I want to leave our club in a better place then when I arrived. Do I feel I would be doing that now? Absolutely; but there is so much more work in our current 5 year plan that I would love to continue to drive and challenge our executive to deliver on.

12 Likes

Or you could read my post from earlier…save yourself $19

Would be good to see the documented facts.