2017 EFC AGM It started with a leak

If you took the time to understand the context of what you quote above the commentary would be more informed. How could you know what was said between Xavier and I? I have known Xavier personally for years and have had many direct conversations with him about many different matters.
You couldn’t know as it was a private conversation on a Sunday afternoon. As for an entry into the Directors book - it is a requirement of the process that it has to be filled in. Anyway I am not going to go on, you are entitled to your opinion. Ron Gauci and I certainly do not believe we are entitled to anything. We like all members are here to support our Club.

1 Like

Hi Soulnet thanks for your post. Yes it is correct that the $9.8m loss included ASADA costs and provisions for other costs. The $5.1m profit announced included over $4m of donations to our capital campaign for Phase 2 at Tullamarine but yes I agree any operating profit derived is a positive result. We just need to have a clear view as to what gets presented in the accounts. Donation revenue did drop as Coterie numbers across the Club dwindled (ie: One Coterie Group - the Diamond Dons was abandoned) and packages were re calibrated to ensure we kept members on board (ie: lower subscription fees). Major sponsors also re-negotiated their packages and one major sponsor dropped away so there were some solid reasons. Cheers

1 Like

Thank you for the kind words - its appreciated. Cheers

Lol Gauci

2 Likes

I am sure they can RedSash as most of the members that I have engaged with during my time at the Club have been excellent at considering and working their way through difficult issues. Cheers

1 Like

Thanks for this reply.

I’m a bit confused as the $4m (under $4m btw) was already mentioned above and is stated in the finacial report. Are you saying that was raised by the coteries? If so why the additional reference to donations revenue? Maybe it’s just poorly written the descriptor.

Page 16 for reference.

(ii) Non-operating revenue
Donations and grants from the Australian Sports Foundation 3,972,633
Donations revenue 160,089

I would still love a comment as to how anyone is supposed to find out exactly what the Essendonians do if we don’t have access to the information.

Cheers,

Soulnet

1 Like

I can’t know Pete, I was simply quoting the article in the Herald Sun. But you can know and you can provide the context should you choose.

As for the Directors book… are you sure?

1 Like

I didn’t say anything except a joke about player manager Paul Connors. I think you meant to reply to Jodi :grinning:

1 Like

Hi Soulnet by way of explanation major donors to the Club’s capital campaign can put their donations through the Australian Sports Foundation and by doing this receive a tax deduction. The Aust Sports Foundation then passes the donation onto the Club less a fee for service. Donations revenue is less clear revenue but I assume its other money raised through fundraising efforts. I know for a fact that the Essendonians raised far more than this figure to the Club last year. With regards to the Essendonians I agree that our website lacks specific information and the Coterie currently has a plan to update the whole site and provide a more informative descriptor. Apart from raising funds through various initiatives, the Group also provides job opportunities to players and partners, mentoring and training opportunities for business objectives, sponsorship of various activities that the Club views as important, education opportunities and assistance with post secondary University entrance requirements, the provision of equipment for our VFL team including headsets, ice baths etc. The Coterie also supports the Club’s major sponsors by procuring goods and services from them which in turn sends dollars the Club’s way. The Coterie is a key resource group for the Club to use. Hope the above is helpful. Cheers

2 Likes

Absolutely. I love numbers and it really should be clearer so everyone can understand better.

I’m glad you’ve taken some of the points on board. There is always the next election and I hope, although defeated this time, you’ll be reinvigorated with a new burning!

Thanks.

Go Bombers.

I have already commented on the Directors book. I have no more to add. As for the Xavier conversation without going into specifics it took place after an Ess v Adelaide game on a Sunday afternoon where our Club took a frightful beating and several of our players were highly distressed. I simply relayed my concerns to the Club regarding player welfare. Xavier and I resumed our conversation at 7.00am on the Monday morning. At no time did I ask or wish to know what the Club were discussing with James Hird. It was for the Club to decide. I said the same when I was confronted at my office by a camera crew from Talking Footy who barged into the building. I didn’t know and I answered their questions honestly.

Thanks Soulnet. I am sure that the Club will be in good hands over the next 12 months and will re-assess after that. As I said I am 100% behind Katie and Sean. Have a great evening.

3 Likes

Well done & thanks @peterhughes hope to see you at a game in 2018

2 Likes

Thank Fark none of blitz ran for office. The way some people carry on you’d think they run the club.
I think most of the candidates were good with their answers and gracious with their time. I suspect some of them have decent jobs and sit on boards. So chill the Fark out if they don’t answer every little line in the numerous paragraphs of questions you ask. Or forgive them if they don’t answer straight away. They might be busy working instead of keyboard warrioring.
The only thing I was disappointed about in the whole process was I could only vote for 2 candidates.

6 Likes

I suspect some of this was aimed at me.

I asked questions. I never abused anyone.

I’m chilled thanks.

2 Likes

I’ll be glad when this election is over

2 Likes

Yeah, … likewise. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I’m bemused that one member of a coterie group is critical of another member of a different coterie group.

I also sense envy in this thread - I’m rapt EFC have strong, committed and powerful coteries which offer virtually unlimited support to all areas of the club - For this we should be thankful.

3 Likes

1 Like

Joined Nov 29.
First post today.
I’m so confused.
What is this meant to achieve?