2017 EFC AGM It started with a leak

Can’t imagine I’ll nominate again without something relatively drastic changing jono, but appreciate the thought.

If you’re part of a club board that declares a $5.1m profit 18 months after what we went through and don’t get re-elected you’re probably doing something wrong :wink:

4 Likes

They’ll be shown at the AGM. I finished 3rd FWIW, we had an extremely low voter turnout.

1 Like

That was nice of you thanks Humbert, good to have met you.

Thanks Soulnet, think I’ll probably go back to a more private existence but appreciate the thought, no doubt I’ll still read.

1 Like

Appreciate that Wim.

1 Like

Just think you can go back to getting heart ache and palpations just over our games now rather than games and the admin!

1 Like

translation from nice person speak: you people are ■■■■■■■ nuts!

Paul, the price of social and economic stability is political apathy. You’re a victim of the success you’ve overseen and I reckon that’s a pretty great legacy to reflect on. Thanks for being a big part of making our footy club feel familiar again. Truly. My kids are proud to be Bombers in the playground again. That means the world to me. Best of luck going forward.

22 Likes

Appreciate that, especially coming from the username of my favourite player of all time…

1 Like

Didn’t manage to play in an Essendon premiership, then set up multiple businesses and be assistant coach at Essendon? Lift your standards son! But sincere thanks from me anyway.

1 Like

Dear All, I preferred not to get involved in any sort of “slanging” match with fellow members who derided my decision to run for the board. What many of you may not appreciate is that I joined the Essendonians to help the Club. The Club actually used the Essendonians during the supplements saga as a vehicle to put forth positive messages, assist to bind all Coterie Groups together, and raise money to help pay for very significant legal costs and improvements to infrastructure. 16 lockers in the players area alone are sponsored by Essendonians along with many other built items. Essendonians were a key component in financially supporting the training of suspended players (including paying for Sean Wellman). During the supplements issue, I met with David Evans and Paul Little every two weeks to ensure that we were all working together to unite the Club and its supporters. I was privileged to be bought into the “inner sanctum” and as such I was able to obtain a depth of understanding about what our Club faced that many others didn’t have access too.

To put it frankly, the Essendonians did not make decisions on running the Club or exert any level of undue influence. We were there to serve the Club only. As an example when the Club was not in a financial position to acquire the Reynolds Brownlow medals we stepped in and organised the funding to get a deal done and negotiate the sale with the family to ensure that these historic pieces remained at Essendon. There would have been no conflict of interest for me in running for the Board. I would have handed back my Essendonian membership as the Coterie is a non-political group.

As far as the Age newspaper is concerned, they called me as they found out I had nominated. I unfortunately don’t have the power to demand Fairfax media run articles on me. All through the supplements saga I was besieged by media for comment. They all made it clear that if I didn’t answer their questions they would find an alternative source. The Club (Xavier) was happy that I handled what was put to me as we would always discuss these requests beforehand. There have been great Coterie members such as Bruce Heymanson serve on the Club board so I would argue that it is not such a bad thing to consider. I have a tremendous relationship with the playing group and that’s why I advocated for better player development and support programmes. These platforms were not just hollow logs that I mouthed. They come from a deep understanding of what is important to our playing group. During our players suspensions I personally hosted them at functions, external events etc to ensure that they felt that they had strong allies within the Club and were never on their own. With regards to an AFLW license, I have my own views on how this submission could have been potentially improved for success.

To have it suggested that I fed Caroline Wilson stories for my own benefit is just plain ridiculous. To again suggest that I like the “spotlight” is again an outlandish statement. I was thrust into the role of Essendonian President by its Committee and members - I did not seek this role or aspire to it. So as for being an ego maniac as Darli would suggest - I was put there to do a job and provide match entertainment for our members and guests and to raise funds for the Club. To also be called “dishonest” because I have advocated for improvements and change is also hard to stomach after putting in an incredible level of work for a prolonged period of time (usually 20 hours per week during football season and attending up to 30 EFC functions per annum). For anyone that that thinks they know what Coteries do you are probably underestimating it by 20 fold. I would be happy to sit with anyone interested and detail what the Essendonians and others actually do. To further suggest that the “big boys” are seeking to jump onto a bandwagon - well let it be known we were all there during the hard times fighting to keep our Club unified and alive. And lets reflect back on the fact that despite this years result, the previous financial year yielded a $9.8m loss, so we are still in recovery mode.

Having now said all the above I have congratulated Katie and Sean who are both friends. They will both do a great job for the Club. I have already commiserated with Paul Cousins who I also consider to be a friend and a person who put is heart and soul into the role. Forums like this can be extremely positive for airing views, opinions and concerns but personal attacks based on innuendo and a lack of facts shortchange considerations that could have significant impact on our Club. To all I hope you have a great Christmas amongst family and friends. I respect all members of our Club and I truly hope that I will get to either meet or re-acquaint with you during Season 2018. With my best wishes - Dr Peter Hughes

51 Likes

Great post

5 Likes

Peter: Thank you for posting and clarification. If it is any comfort, Sean Wellman also copped, including allegations of a share of responsibility for the saga.

5 Likes

Hey Pete,

Good to see you made it to blitz.

I think perhaps you’re under the misapprehension that the Coteries aren’t appreciated here. From my experience that’s entirely untrue. Many here are coterie members, and, I believe, most appreciate that coteries play a major role in any successful club.

Where the confusion might lie is that many of us believe, for the exact reasons you’ve highlighted above, that the coteries and the board should be very separate things.

I did indeed say that you were dishonest, and upon reading the above I stand by it. It’s not so much lies, but it is certainly a twisting of the truth to suit the narrative. The training costs of the banned players and the acquisition of the Reynolds brownlows are two examples. Another is the article in the Herald Sun where you were quoted as saying you called Xavier and said 'This can’t go on", just prior to the Hird resignation. Another is the Age article. They may have fired the shots, but by being the only person to put their name in the Directors book you handed them the gun.

I did say you liked the spotlight. I stand by that also. Your facebook posts were peppered with pics of you with the playing group and videos of endorsements from past players, you forgot to mention you asked for the endorsement though, which kind of lessens the impact.

You see Pete, what I get from your post above is a sense of entitlement, you’ve done a lot for the Club and therefore you deserve a spot on the board. It’s the same entitlement that came from Gauci last time, it’s why he didn’t win then or now.

This Club you love so much were flying. There was an opportunity to appoint one Director, if you were the best person for the job, given your close relationship with everyone at the club then surely they would have appointed you?

It’s not personal Pete, it’s simply this, in my opinion, you’re not the kind of person I want on the board (obviously I’m not alone or you’d be umm on the board).

2 Likes

Thanks for the post Peter… Rest assured though, most Blitzers are able to think for themselves and not let that stuff cloud their judgement.

2 Likes

That was also me. And I stand by it. Every member of the staff and administration who were at the club at the time should bear a level of responsibility. Was never going to make any difference though, Welly could have stood on the platform of sacrificing every members first born child and he still would have romped home.

FWIW my opinion is that people like Peter Hughes deserve my support and admiration, and we are all a bit too inclined to criticise. I have no doubt that he has contributed hugely to our club, and as a simple supporter, who has never done much tangible to assist the club other than to pay a membership and attend games and fly the flag, I value what the coteries do, and the people who are in them are entitled to a little bit of self indulgence, if that is what people think they are guilty of.
Same goes for Paul Cousins. I appreciate his contribution. It is no rejection to run third.

5 Likes

Democracy is so awesome.

1 Like

Uh oh

5 Likes

Hi Peter,

I appreciate the reply but there’s been at least 2 weeks between now and when some on here like myself had questions that even now, still aren’t answered.

As for this line;

“For anyone that that thinks they know what Coteries do you are probably underestimating it by 20 fold.”

As I explained way above not all of us have access or the funds to join a coterie, but the information that your particular Coterie has on their website and any information on the clubs website is completely lacking. Coming here and stating we don’t know what goes on seems like blaming everyone when perhaps you should look at how you can communicate better with everyone from members, supporters and fans.

You stated above (and I highlighted this with links), communication from the club to the fans needed to improve but you couldn’t do this in your current role with the Essendonians or certainly I couldn’t find the information to support your arguement.

The $9.8 million dollar comment is a joke as well. Yes in 2016 we had a loss of $9.8m. $4.9m of this was ASADA related. So it was a $4.9m loss in our worse possible year ever given our players were suspended.

If you are not impressed with a $5m profit or a $9.9m turnaround you’ve got some pretty high expectations. Even if we take out the massive increase from the Australian Sports Foundation this year we are still well and truly ahead of the year before.

Lastly perhaps you will know more, but the last 3 financial reports show donations revenue dropped. Can you explain this? Perhaps the donations are hidden elsewhere but I can only go off what the club publishes.

I really hope you can answer the above. Not everyone here is involved in a slanging match and I believe it’s a bit disrespectful.

Kindest regards,

Soulnet.

1 Like