2019 Draft Watch - it’s over, apart from all the remaining bits

Media seems to be sleeping on this kid but Trent Rivers is certainly a player I’d like us to get if he somehow went around our range. 28 disposals and 2 goals today he is a 187cm midfielder who was played as a defender at the champs and still excelled at it getting AA honours.

At 18s level he plays as an inside mid and he averages almost 27 touches a game with no less than 25 touches in any of his 7 games. Has averaged 2 goals a game the last 4 games aswel.

4 Likes

Say no more.

3 Likes

Can he kick?
Can he tackle?
Can he handball?
Can he run both ways?
Can he bury Robbie Gray?

1 Like

I reckon Rivers will be gone by our first pick…but Dodoro does love a HB-flank project, so I expect Will Day.

1 Like

Yes
Yes but need to see more
Oh yes very clean
Looks it but apparently wasn’t a strength at the start of the year, has worked on it
I would hope so

1 Like

I do like Day though haha not the prospect for us but looks a great talent, can also play as a mid

Totally different topic:

I’ve been listening to the Lystics podcast, and their opinion is that this draft crop is full of short midfielders…which is bad news for Essendon I reckon.

Because if those short mids are overlooked in the first round (as their height might not translate to AFL), then they might all be clustered around our picks - but we can’t take them because we’re already stuffed full of those types.

Might be the year to go for the tall development players at our picks? DeKoning, Jeka, Hilder and the rucks available after Jackson? What do you think?

1 Like

That sounds like a dare to me.

1 Like

There are usually a number of late-developing flankers who push themselves into the 2nd round. And there are always Dylan Clarke-types from 30 onwards in every draft.

We are in a good position list-wise, as we don’t have any glaring holes that need to be filled immediately pressuring us. So we have the fortune of being able to sit back and see who is genuinely best available at our picks.

You’re right though ideally, we would be able to find a key back to replace Hooker when the time comes, unfortunately, this year appears to devoid of quality tall forwards which means that the KPDs don’t have exposure against quality opposition which makes it difficult to gauge them.

I think we can still use some smaller mids as long as they aren’t Snelling types of smells and can still hit the contests hard. Deven Robertson is 182cm but that wouldn’t worry me as his contested ability and stoppage work more than makes up for it

If we can’t get the inside mid if look at the next best outside runner/wingman hopefully with some height and if not that a shutdown smallish defender. I like the look of Ben Johnson from WA who has high speed and agility but a booming kick aswell.

who cares about their upbringing, get us someone that runs 2 ways.

Marlion Picket apparently will be pressing for selection in the seniors finals after a great performance in the VFL. Hope we didn’t miss out on another one

1 Like

Let’s say these are my only criteria for selecting a player, who should I sulk about us not picking up: can reliably kick a 40m flat pass under pressure, can kick a 50m set shot on occasion, plays midfield more than anything else, is tall enough to ride roller coasters.

1 Like

@THE_DON1 Is Cooper Sharman still growing because every article states his height as something different? I’ve seen it quoted at 186cm, 189cm and 194cm.

I believe his actually 190cm haha

1 Like

Tim Watson says Sier is the guy we need

1 Like

We need a ruckman as first priority I reckon.

2 Likes

We are unlikely to find one who is AFL ready in 2020 via the draft.

However, one or two dual position ruckmen to develop behind Draper for when McKernan and Bellchambers retire should be on our shopping list. Hopefully, Bowman will be one of those.

1 Like

26/2/01
200cm/85kg
Vic Country/Dandenong Stingrays
Defender

Clubs are very keen on De Koning, who has enjoyed a rise throughout this year as a tall defender. He won a spot in the All Australian backline for his performances for Vic Country while still being a little raw. De Koning is the younger brother of Carlton’s Tom. Last weekend he hurt his ankle playing for the Dandenong Stingrays, having missed the previous Stingrays game through illness.

3/8/01
185cm/80kg
South Australia/Norwood
Forward

The talented forward kicked four goals for Norwood’s senior side last month in a promising return to form after what had been a quieter championships for South Australia. Taheny has his mercurial moments, and real speed in attack that gives him a chance around goal. Has versatility but seems most likely to settle into a role in the front half of the ground.

1/5/01
185cm/75kg
Western Australia/Perth
Forward

Recruiters know Taylor is a serious talent, and we saw that throughout WA’s carnival. He had some brilliantly eye-catching moments in attack, including strong marks, clever goals and also a willingness to push up the ground and use his pace and athleticism. Taylor hasn’t found the consistency part yet, but his leap, game sense and creativity makes him a target for clubs. Will be spending some time training with Fremantle in coming weeks.

30/7/01
188cm/85kg
Western Australia/East Fremantle
Defender

The West Australian medium defender has shown he can also play in the midfield at stages, where his size and shape is beneficial in winning the ball and getting it out. Rivers is a damaging player in that he can hustle opponents out of the contest, get the ball himself and then make things happen from half-back. Averaged 22 disposals at 77 per cent efficiency at the championships to be named an All Australian.

1/7/01
185cm/79kg
Vic Metro/Oakleigh Chargers
Forward

A back issue forced Williams to miss last week’s game for the Oakleigh Chargers, in what’s been a frustrating season for the goalkicker. He was sore throughout the under-18 championships for Vic Metro, and hasn’t really hit top gear for the Chargers since then either, apart from a five-goal effort against the Geelong Falcons last month. Williams has genuine ability and can turn games his side’s way, but will be hoping for a bigger impact in Oakleigh’s finals series.

25/2/01
194cm/75kg
Vic Metro/Calder Cannons
Forward

An agile and athletic tall forward who has plenty of upside. At this stage he is lean, meaning Jones’ best work is often done on the lead or in space, but he reads the play very well and has the height and temperament to develop into a nice option. In a draft that isn’t overflowing with tall forwards, Jones is a promising option. He kicked two goals for the Calder Cannons a fortnight ago against the Bendigo Pioneers.

5/6/01
187cm/70kg
South Australia/West Adelaide
Defender

A smart and creative half-back who reads the play well and delivers the ball with class. Day knows the balance between rebounding and creating, and then shutting down his opponent and he backs himself to kickstart his team’s ball movement. The cousin of Gold Coast key forward Sam Day comes from an elite baseball background.

20/1/01
178cm/67kg
Vic Metro/Oakleigh Chargers
Defender/midfielder

After a slower start to the national carnival, Bianco lifted in the latter stages of Vic Metro’s carnival, including impressing in its win over South Australia. The Oakleigh Charger has played in a number of roles across the season, but appears best placed as a user out of half-back, where his vision, game sense and foot skills come to the fore. Bianco missed last week’s game for Oakleigh with a quad concern.

17/1/01
188cm/83kg
Vic Country/Geelong Falcons
Midfielder

The Geelong Falcons prospect has been sidelined since April after breaking his leg. It was a blow for the inside midfielder, who missed playing for Vic Country at the under-18 championships, having represented them as a bottom-ager last season. He’s hard and tough and brutish around the ball and some clubs viewed him as a first-rounder before the injury. They’ll be scouring last year’s vision to assess where he sits in this year’s pool.

13/3/01
188cm/81kg
Vic Country/Gippsland Power
Defender

There have been plenty of forwards this year who have battled when matched up against Smith. The Gippsland Power captain is a general in the backline: he can take on a range of differently sized forwards and lock down, plus he also provides direction from defence and some rebound. Smith might not have the flashy qualities of other players but he’s tough, hard and uncompromising, and he hates his opponent getting a touch.

21/2/01
180cm/78kg
South Australia/Woodville West Torrens
Midfielder

A midfielder who has risen up the ranks as the season has developed. Schoenberg started the year off the radar but with a strong pre-season run of form lifted himself into South Australia’s squad for the under-18 carnival. He didn’t let anyone down there, becoming probably its most consistent ball-getter at that level. A player who has a good balance of possessions and can be relied upon.

18/10/01
186cm/75kg
Vic Metro/Sandringham Dragons
Midfielder/forward

Bergman was one of the players to significantly lift his stocks throughout the mid-season carnival. He excited across his games with Vic Metro, playing as a wingman or forward and showing his ability in the air and at ground level. Has agility and a turn of pace, and played well this week at school level, continuing what has been a strong season for him. A big finish to the year for the Dragons could elevate Bergman further.

22 Likes