2020 AGM/Members Forum

I don’t think it should be. It just appears to be driven by whatever is expedient for X.

1 Like

To be fair, Giansiracusa just came on board, and we did somehow convince Dunkley to want to come to us. Agree with the rest of the post though.

For anyone that was at the AGM did anyone as what happened with Dan?

Ironically it was Dan that hired Gian. Dunkley was front and centre promoted to be our inside midfield star. That and probably 200k extra a year was a juicy carrot

1 Like

The firing of Dan is so interesting to me, occuring seemingly before Brasha had barely started his review, and before the biggest trade and draft period for the club in years.

He’s fired, a month later Brasha announces the findings of the review. He finds that there was mixed messaging during the year due to having two coaches which led to players being confused - Dan didn’t want the transition plan. The review finds that Rutten is the right coach - Dan’s hire. The review finds the players want to be coached hard and know what is expected of them each week - when Saad asked for a trade, Dan comes out and says they Essendon only wants team players, echoing this view. Brasha says that a big win for the club is getting Gia across - like you say was Dan’s hiring (was Caracella Dan’s as well?)

I get that people have suggested that the timing was apparently so his salary wouldnt fit under the cap or something, but surely you’d want to complete the process, and then make such an important decision, especially like you say, with no one clearly in mind

4 Likes

I reckon whilst there appears to be a lot he did right there is also a lot he didn’t

The situation with Saad leaving and not being across all of that to prevent it for example… Other player discontent not being dealt with / on top of, did not have his finger on the pulse. Potentially how he interacted with playing group / staff another. I know from someone that used to work with him not the most affable personality which in such an important role is needed.

He was out of contract. Did some things well and did some things not so well, and they looked to move in a different direction to someone who in the end was far more experienced across a more comprehensive range of areas. And a great bloke.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info mate.

If Saad leaving was the reason he left - i’d say its unfair to put it all on Dan. The issues were reportedly about playing position, which i’d say would be Rutten/Worsfold’s call. There was also word that we offered him a five year deal at the start of the year, but then withdrew that to four (or something like that), and that obviously annoyed Saad a tad. That would be Dodoro’s call too i’d say.

Also, surely before recruiting him in 2017 you’d be aware of any personality issues too (either you incorrectly hired him, or you didnt think they would be issues for the role)

Mahoney has been in a GM role the same amount of years as Dan. Joined the Dees the year Dan joined Richmond

On the other side of coin reports Saad and his camps salary demands at start of year were unrealistic for a small defender. I’d say as would be likely they said ok we will pay you more/yr but on 4yr term. As is the case with many players they often prefer longer term security but take lesser overall.

Anyone thinking Dodoro deliberately aggravated the contract discussions by offering and withdrawing offers is completely wrong IMO

1 Like

Didnt hear about Saad’s demands being unrealistic, thats a good point then.

I’d say his request was for a consistent top 3 B&F. Our offer was for a good HBF.

2 very different categories with 2 very different pay packets. Both are in a way correct.

2 Likes

Missed the meeting and came in here to find out what happened. Stupid mistake. Could have know the same posters would be in here smashing everything the club does. Quite predictable really.

8 Likes

One of the questions that Paul Brasher answered was asked by me. I asked how Kevin Sheedy could hold his marketing role when clause 13(b) of the Constitution says that no salaried employee of the club can be a director. The answer was exactly what I expected: he’s not a salaried employee; the club has contractual arrangements with his company.

Frankly I’m disappointed. The contractual arrangements may technically not breach clause 13(b). But they certainly breach the spirit. I hope those arrangements aren’t renewed.

10 Likes

Zac Merrett will leave Essendon for the opportunity to captain elsewhere in 12 months.

Time to unfollow this thread, too many negative nancies here, as in most threads. Go outside, enjoy life and be happy.

The q and a was all negative stuff as posted on the club website

But truck and dodo spoke well.

Just wondering…new team tops…could the Essendon Logo possibly be smaller and more insignificant. Coles logos over the top…

I like it.

It goes well with the GIANT blue Amart logo stuck in the middle of our Red sash…

1 Like

yep sounds just more of a loophole than anything else.

not sure if I’m mis-remembering, but did the club not previously say (maybe a couple of years ago) that we were looking to transition away from gaming revenue?

The club has done a fantastic job over the last 15 years… And deserves our congratulations and unwavering trust.

5 Likes

They look like Coles trolly boys

2 Likes