2020 Draft Watch (Part 1)

And if they were smarter than him then he was f**ked. wasn’t hard to be smarter than him

We have zero midfield depth.

Our VFL team has 3 midfielders atm…Ham, Johnson & Cutler.

Draft 3 midfielders and 2 Key Position players… seems about right for list management.

6 Likes

The counterpoint is that we drafted Kepler Bradley who had just come off winning the best player in the U18 champs playing as a 198cm wingman, and we always struggled to work out how to use him.

This was a bit due to Bradley’s traits of not being particularly quick, particularly strong overhead, or particularly good by foot though. Cox seems to be plenty quick enough and definitely good enough by foot. And I thought looked solid enough in the air as well. So perhaps it works.

My preference as far as getting a tall is for Thilthorpe to fall to us (which gives us a path to 2MP being not required in a couple of years). If he doesn’t though, I’d be happy enough to take Cox.

2 Likes

If we plan to use our 3 top 10 picks then I think you can take a punt with one of them. Two proven players, and one that is a risk but has huge upside.

Because we have young talls already?

Because raising the quality of your 3-4 worst midfielders will do more than more talls?

1 Like

There is one kid in group B of the country kids I hope we don’t go near- Jack Ginnivan . I coached against him and my son played against him . Is absolutely soft as butter . Gave up playing footy for a year at 15 to play netball as he didn’t handle the physicality of football. Soft mentally too the minute he was sledged went to water. Has some talent but there was a kid that tested Aiden Hare who has played 1sts Bendigo league footy since 15 that is a better footballer by a margin. Sam Berry is one I hope we pick up

3 Likes

Has anyone got access to the herald sun article posted this morning that reported on the standouts at yesterday’s training session?

AFL draft 2020: Who impressed at the Victoria trial training session?

More than 50 of Victoria’s best draft hopefuls were put through their paces in front of a crowd of AFL recruiters. Who were the standouts?

Dan Batten

December 3, 2020 - 11:57AM

Junior talent watchers reveal the names set to shake up the draft order.

Victorian draft hopefuls took to the footy field together for the first time since March in Cragieburn’s Highgate Reserve on Wednesday for a training session in front of a crowd of AFL recruiters.

More than 50 young talents – split into Vic Metro and Vic Country groups – were put their paces in a range of different drills a week out from the national draft.

■ ANALYSIS: Every pick your team has in the draft

While Victorian prospects had competed in national combine testing over the past month, talent scouts had not seen the likes of academy ace Jamarra Ugle-Hagan and high-impact hybrid Archie Perkins with a footy in hand in more than eight months due to the scrapped NAB League season.

The session is unlikely to be a factor in each player’s draft standing but it was a rare chance for clubs to see these prospects in action.

Who has built up across the year and which players impressed on the day?

Check out the Victorian draft prospects who caught the eye at the session.

Kayo is your ticket to the best sport streaming Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

Cox in action. Pictures: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos/Michael Klein

Nikolas Cox has put on 4kg since he was last spotted.

Nikolas Cox

Northern Knights — Key forward/defender, 200cm, 87kg

Cox certainly looks a lot different to the last time recruiters saw him with a footy in hand, putting on four kilograms in the NAB League shutdown. The mobile swingman has not lost any of his zip, either, looking quick and showing off his eloquent kicking on both sides.

Archie Perkins in action. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Archie Perkins

Sandringham Dragons — Forward/midfielder, 188cm, 79kg

Recruiters would have been eager to see the athletic beast in action and he did not disappoint. Caught the eye with his explosiveness off the mark in a half-ground lead-up drill and is a hulking figure physically.

Macrae moves in a similar way to Jack.

Finlay Macrae is the half brother of Jack Macrae.

Finlay Macrae

Oakleigh Chargers — Midfielder, 186cm, 78kg

Looks to have built size over the year and his skills were superb as always. You cannot help but think of his half-brother, Western Bulldogs smooth-mover Jack Macrae, when you watch him in action.

Reef McInnes is a part of the Collingwood academy. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos

Reef McInnes

Oakleigh Chargers — Midfielder, 193cm, 86kg

Clean as a whistle during the ground-ball drills, gathering the footy off the deck at pace with no fumbles whatsoever. No mean feat for a midfielder standing 193cm.

Downie in action.

Connor Downie already has the size of an AFL footballer.

Connor Downie

Eastern Ranges — Defender/midfielder, 185cm, 82kg

You could have mistaken Downie for an AFL footballer considering his size on the field and professionalism off it, where the Chinese Next Generation Academy product – who is tied to Hawthorn - expressed his desire to be an AFL ambassador for China. He looked as comfortable among his peers on the training track as he did in the media scrum.

Conor Stone impressed with his speed and power. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos

Conor Stone

Oakleigh Chargers — Forward 189cm, 83kg

Stone’s speed and power mix was on display on Wednesday after his combine results failed to reflect his impressive athletic traits.

Allison in action.

Matthew Allison was smooth across the ground.

Matt Allison

Calder Cannons — Key forward, 194cm, 81kg

The 194cm tall moved extremely well across the ground for a player his size and was sound with his disposal and overhead marking.

Joshua Eyre was solid in the marking contests. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos

Josh Eyre

Calder Cannons — Key forward, 198cm, 85kg

Eyre was one of the surprise packets in the marking drill, winning a bunch of 1-on-1 contests against highly rated key position prospects. It caps off a stellar finish to the year for the Essendon NGA product after blitzing the Vic Country combine.

Clarke in action.

Joshua Clarke has put on considerable size.

Josh Clarke

Eastern Ranges — Key forward, 182cm, 75kg

A strong breeze could have sent Clarke flying the last time recruiters saw the running defender. His rigorous gym program during the shutdown looks to have paid off and he appeared to be just as quick off the mark despite the extra size.

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan was impressive throughout. Picture: Michael Klein

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan

Oakleigh Chargers — Key forward, 195cm, 90kg

All eyes were on the pick one contender throughout the session with his familiar outstretched marks on the lead at full tilt and clean hands on show. The popular character blew out the cobwebs with a couple of miscued kicks which were met with friendly niggles and howls from his peers.

Hollands had a light run through.

Elijah Hollands is returning from a knee injury.

Elijah Hollands

Murray Bushrangers — Midfielder/forward, 189cm, 85kg

Hollands ran laps and took part in stationary kicking drills as he eases his way back from his anterior cruciate ligament injury. The potential number-one pick saved his best work for the pre-training interviews, joking about his unkempt hairdo.

Reid in action.

Zach Reid is a massive 202cm tall.

Zach Reid

Gippsland Power — Key defender, 202cm, 83kg

It was like watching a skilful wingman, until you remember he is 202cm. The key defender hit targets left, right and centre and held his own in 1-on-1 marking contests despite his slender build.

Bruhn (right) battles with Nick Stevens.

Tanner Bruhn was clean at ground level.

Tanner Bruhn

Geelong Falcons — Midfielder, 183cm, 74kg

Bruhn has had few opportunities to impress in the last two seasons, but eyes were drawn to him regardless. Glided across the ground and his clean hands at ground level were a highlight.

Ryan Angwin is slight but has some serious reach.

Ryan Angwin

Gippsland Power — Midfielder/defender, 184cm, 72kg

As one draft watcher remarked, there is a bit about this kid. The slight midfielder looks to have added size and had some great flashes with his kicking and agility.

Maher (left) battles with Harry Sharp.

Zavier Maher’s upper body strength is an asset.

Zavier Maher

Murray Bushrangers — Midfielder, 185cm, 82kg

Maher consistently won marking contests by out bodying opponents with his strong frame. The big-bodied midfielder also showcased his dash at stages.

Seamus Mitchell is another tall who has put on size.

Seamus Mitchell

Bendigo Pioneers — Forward, 181cm, 74kg

Another who is noticeably stronger, and he is difficult to miss with his hair flapping at the back – especially when you are moving at his pace. Has a great turn of speed.

Treacy was one of the best talls.

Josh Treacy was impressive through the air.

Josh Treacy

Bendigo Pioneers — Key forward, 194cm, 94kg

The focus was on Ugle-Hagan in the 1-on-1 marking drill, but it was Treacy who stole the show against him in front of a host of recruiters. Outmuscled the best player out there on one occasion to take a strong grab and was one of the most impressive Vic Country talls out there.

Dominic Bedendo

Murray Bushrangers — Forward/defender, 188cm, 74kg

After topping the charts nationally in the running vertical jump test at the combine, Bedendo’s tremendous leap was on full display in the marking drills, pulling down a couple of nice grabs. Plays taller than his height suggests because of his spring.

———————————————————————

Player agent Colin Young. Picture: Michael Klein.

Recruiter’s hellish wait on son

– Jon Ralph

As one of footy’s most forthright and successful agents Colin Young is used to driving a hard bargain with the AFL’s recruiters and list managers.

On Wednesday night he will sit back fully aware those 20 years of experience at AFL level can’t help son Logan Young find his way to an AFL club.

Former UFC fighter and jiu jitsu expert Young, a 192cm midfielder renowned as a fitness freak and powerful midfielder, is more likely to be taken as a rookie the day after the national draft or have to wait another year to be drafted.

But after winning the Claremont Colts best-and-fairest in a seven-game season he could barely have done any more to thrust his name forward.

Young’s WA-based Corporate Sports Australia agency has many of the AFL’s players among its 60 clients, including Brad Hill, Aaron Naughton, Tim English, Charlie Cameron, Chris Mayne, Zac Fisher and Jeremy and Mitch McGovern.

Logan Young is regarded as a tough, solid player with an elite workrate.

All the moving and shaking that allows him to sign the likes of Jeremy McGovern to one of footy’s richest contracts has counted for nothing this year.

“It’s been difficult going through it as a father for the first time,” Young told the Herald Sun.

“Scotty Clayton and Steve Silvagni had said I was going to find it difficult as my son progressed and I didn’t believe them but I do now.

“Because of my work in the industry people think he’s going to get drafted or have a leg up, but it’s probably been the reverse. I haven’t involved myself in the process at all in regards to club interviews. I have left it with Andrew McDougall or to Logan himself.

“He has left no stone unturned but he knows it’s a thin draft with as few as 40 live picks, so he’s focused on 2021 playing for Claremont.”

Former West Coast and Western Bulldogs forward McDougall, Young’s offsider at Corporate Sports, is Logan’s official manager.

List managers canvassed on Tuesday said Young was a tough, solid player with an elite workrate whose 192cm frame still allowed him to win the ball away from traffic.

He won 22.5 possessions, eight tackles and 6.3 clearances a game and is young enough to still be a draft contender next year after a season of senior WAFL footy.

Claremont Colts coach Matt Angus says he is the hardest working kid he had tutored after also mentoring the likes of Nat Fyfe, Dayne Zorko and Lachie Weller.

Despite his decades in the game his father never believed he would be a footballer.

Logan Young dives for the ball while playing for the Claremont Colts.

“He reminds me of Matt Priddis in regards to his workrate. He cooks his own food, he measures his own food, he is self-driven. It’s not because of me. I would have liked him to continue with his UFC. He was one belt short of being a red belt in kung fu, he has done jiu jitsu but he loved his footy.

“He has had a great year and the picks might get him. I reckon there are at least 6-10 West Australian boys who might miss out just because of the nature of the draft and smaller list sizes.”

3 Likes

Twomey on Will Phillips getting to Essendon

Essendon would hope they can get Phillips through. But it would take a top-five bolter (Perkins or Cox) to break the ‘Fantastic Five’ apart and see Phillips available at the Bombers’ picks. It’s more unlikely than likely.

Twomey when asked if Dodoro would/should draft Perkins

I think Essendon should draft Perkins - they don’t have any players who do what he does well. He’s not the finished product but with three picks is worth taking in combination with a tall and maybe a pure midfielder. But I do think Perkins is a good chance to get through to North’s pick 11

1 Like

Geez a lot of these blokes are ripped, due to hitting the gym and no footy.

1 Like

Goo point!

Cal also doesn’t think Thillthorpe will get past pick 5 for the Suns.

Also specifically pointed out Josh Eyre’s performance at the training session yesterday when asked about tall prospects.

4 Likes

Agree with you there mate.

We also need to remember that we spent our first two picks last draft on talls in Jones and Bryan (you could even add McBride too). No way we would add another four key position prospects (Cox, Reid, Brand and Eyre) the next year.

2 Likes

Eyre needs to pull his head in and start looking crap to other clubs!

21 Likes

He must have looked bloody good yesterday - I’ve seen like 5 reports with him as one of the main ‘winners’ from the session.

“Ford is a talent and his power was on show at training yesterday. Medium forward who did some exciting things last year - clubs probably don’t know exactly what they’re going to get from him though which is where this year was important to improve that consistency.”

Cal

2 Likes

which 2/3 do we want out of Phillips/Perkins/Cox

I would prefer Cox be the bolter then could go Phillips, Perkins and Reid.

2 Likes

Is there an option where Reid is the bolter? That’s the best case scenario for me.

1 Like

Twomey on Macrae, who we may target should we trade back

I have Macrae ahead of Powell - bit taller, uses the ball on both feet sublimely and is a bit of an inside/outside mix. He could be a very special player - one to watch on draft night though. If he doesn’t go early, he could slip through a few.