2020 Draft Watch (Part 1)

And he’s a skater

2 Likes

Thanks for the kind words

As an inside mid for our needs id pick McInnes, Perkins could end up that type but his time as a midfielder has been extremely limited. This would have been the year to answer any queries on his midfield potential.

As a genuine key position type I think Reid is the go but tbh I think Eyre and Brand will be more likely to hold key tall spots with the likes of Reid and Cox more likely to be a 2nd or 3rd fiddle preferring to create rather than be a key stopper or key forward target for either end.

8 Likes

Thanks L2L. I missed this when you first posted however it’s very informative, particularly during those periods where I may be overly quick to criticise a player’s performance. I maybe should have first reflected on the preceding history of his predisposition to maintain the necessary physiological state to perform.

1 Like

All true, but to look at you’d think he’d be one of the best players in the league. Go figure.

I dont know why but I have a feeling that Finlay Macrae is going to be one that we might regret not taking. Does anyone know why he may slip to the teens? They say he is better than his brother at the same age. Looks a very classy player like his brother. I’m just nervous because we really need to nail this draft.

4 Likes

That’s awesome stuff mate, Thankyou for sharing. Apologies for preaching to the choir as you obviously have an understanding of the nuances of high performance and im just relaying my much more intelligent mate’s info :joy:. I find the varying perspectives in this area very intriguing so will run it by him next time we catch up.

1 Like

Really hoping that a couple of the clubs pull a surprise in the top 5. If we could get a Phillips or even a Thilthorpe that would be ideal.

On video “highlights” (and completely aware that highlights are only that at the best of times, and this year are based on very limited matches, or matches from some time ago), I have questions on Perkins hurt factor with his disposals when compared to some of the top group. Is this completely unfounded?

1 Like

Clone_Hirdy 2019…2020

10 Likes

Ideally we get:
Pick 6 - Phillips/ Perkins
Pick 7 - Cox/ Reid
Pick 8 -
Scenario 1: Keep it and Reff (Bid)/ L Jones (Bid) - if matched, pick one of Tanner B/ Henry / Tom
Powell
Scenario 2: As mentioned everywhere, trade it with Pies for pick 16 (+ future 1st round) - and pick up the best talent available (hope like hell if one of Finlay M / Tanner B/ Henry/ Powell fall through) OR pick O’Driscoll/ Zane Threw/ Poulter…any decent talent we can get our hands on (this is where you might get the usual curveball from Jackets - who might pull out something no one’s ever heard)

Of course we ensure we pick up Eyre and Brand and load up for 2021.

1 Like

I think the player clubs will regret not taking in five years is Cox, a 200cm quick, good endurance wingman who can kick both feet and fly for marks may well be the most unique player in the draft for years. No wingman in the comp could match up with him and he could be one of the most dangerous between the arc players for a decade. Also I think playing wing ensures his lack of bulk won’t be a problem.

It is that kind of uniqueness that you need at AFL level to get a competitive advantage. There are just too many good players to out good player the opposition. You need to find your competitive advantage, be it size, speed, kicking skills, contested beasts, marking (overrated IMHO), efficiency. Something about having Cox on the wing seems that.

For me, if he is there at pick 6/7/8 we have to take him.

17 Likes

This is from Perkins Draft Central profile, so they at least don’t see that.

An aggressive type with ball in hand, not only does Perkins look to immediately force space in front of him, but he also makes good decisions via foot. 65 per cent of his average 14.2 disposals come in the form of kicks, with Perkins adept at hitting targets and gaining good meterage when either option presents. His willingness to immediately move the ball on is made easier by his athletic acumen, and lends to a high amount of impact.

2 Likes

Chris Judd always used to say, if his opposition player was as fast as him, he knew he would beat them for strength. And if his opposition player was as strong as him, he knew he would beat them with his speed.

1 Like

I don’t see lack of impact per possession, I see a potential lack of willingness to get involved / his hands dirty (making this judgement of very little info). That would be my concern - fine if he is to stay as a lead up half forward or to play on the wing, but I’d be a little concerned if we are recruiting him to be a mid based on exposed form.

Hope I’m wrong, as seems pretty likely that we will pick him up.

(Also, I am completely unable to not see Zaharakis in the way he moves across the ground, which may be tainting my views somewhat.)

2 Likes

And if they were as fast and as strong as him, he’d gouge their eyes or try to pop their shoulder when they are down

25 Likes

And no matter who he was compared to, he was the bigger wanker.

28 Likes

I’ve been clear that our marking is the worst part of our game. We are an incredibly poor marking team.

It’s interesting with Bruhn’s contested marking at training this week, if that pushes him into consideration.

We take Bruhn, Perkins and McInness or Henry.

Which gives us some marking targets through the midfield & HF.

Why not take Cox Reid and Perkins together with Brand Eyre you have your spine for the next decade. We already have Caldwell add another midfielder with next years first round and possibly Dunkley if he still wants to come.

1 Like

It was a tough few months in lockdown wasn’t it…

1 Like

we need to draft someone who is capable of playing half back to start with (e.g. perkins starting there by developing into a mid?)

We literally have no good half backs at the moment.

We will need to play smith down there