2020 Draft Watch (Part 1)

As someone who got to go to some games your more than welcome to give me a call AFL Cubs :wink:

2 Likes

With minimal info to go off this season, each selection will have huge amounts of risk. Lots of good players will go late and many duds will go early. It will be very easy to completely stuff this year up. Some bargains to be had late though.

If ever there was a year to trade out picks for 2021 academy points, this is the one. Don’t get involved unless you’re confident.

Just push the draft back.

2 months tac followed by a national carnival later in the year.

If the drafts in feb and the players miss a preseason. So be it.

4 Likes

I don’t think clubs should stress to much, a lot of the top line players are identified years before and the outliers are rare but can still happen.

The 2021 draft is looking very strong and 2022 will have a player rival Rowell as a dominant midfielder so regardless I could see clubs targeting future picks which is another reason why I think we held off on trying to trace Daniher with the ability to perhaps get a pick for 2021 instead.

I’d like to think that you’d only give the good oil to our team…:slightly_smiling_face:

Doesn’t that run into exams?
October??

Fair chance VCE exams are impacted.

Recruiters are going to seriously earn their coin for this year

Assuming they have jobs that is!

Notice I said “coin”… singular

1 Like

Perfect chance for the AFL to rejig the draft and raise the draft age.

You’d hope that if the season is heavily impacted, that it’s only a limited draft to replace retirements. Bit rough on delisting guys. Some very difficult questions coming up on player movements.

How would Mutch, Begley or Clarke feel if they were delisted without a chance to resurrect their careers.

The clubs with lesser picks this year especially after trades would not be happy with that outcome, no way it happens this year imo

Didn’t Clarke just sign a 2 year contract?

Aren’t there a stack of F/S and academy picks this year?
I wouldn’t be surprised to see list sizes cut considerably either so things might change rapidly

Might be a very small intake but that could help strengthen the next draft even more, don’t be shocked if a lot of clubs only ask for next years picks if any trade deals are to be done this year aswell

Perfect opportunity for AFL to increase list sizes. could scrap minimum 3 changes rules

don’t have to cull as hard and can still hit the draft.

1 Like

In theory, but that’d necessarily jack up the salary cap in the order of $3-500k, at a time when basically every club has no income and us cutting to the bone and beyond.

It’d be a good idea, but I won’t hsppen unless the afl put their hands in their pockets, and that’s laughably unlikely knowing those ■■■■■■.

Probably ask guys like Steinberg, Alex Browne and Brendan Lee for advice on that…