2020 trade spec part 3

Intriguing situation if Cats pull out of the race

Cameron left with decision to stay at GWS on the big $ contract (can they afford him now that Hogan already been traded on big $?) or look to be traded to another Vic club like Ess who would take him but not at the contract Cats offered or GWS matched at

Cameron already ■■■■■■ at GWS over losing $$ from back ended deal that didn’t pay out then having to potentially lose more money again now.

2 Likes

Are you saying the people in the industry just accept the fact that his appears to be full of himself and it will run its course?

could go to the pies and They would offload even more players with Treloar.

1 Like

Yeah true. Pies apparently had offered the biggest $ of lot even though that would have been reliant on shoving contracted players out door it seems, which they are clearly ok doing.

Haha, i’m saying he operates similarly to every other list manager. It just plays out in the media more because he seems to generate clicks.

cause Essendon

1 Like

Is Hogan on big dollars though? But I do agree this will shatter the GWS Cap if Cameron stays and they have to match the Geelong offer. There will be some other GWS players that come into play in a salary cap purge.

Another tall forward out? Riccardi?

Because us fans lap up dodoro and make gifs of him.

How many other list managers have their own gifs.

8 Likes

Hogan is on very big dollars for next year, the last year of his Freo contract. I imagine with the late pick that GWS acquired him with, they’d take on that money without Freo paying any. Maybe they spread it over his new contract though.

That’s just an assumption.

2 Likes

The more I think about it the more keen I am on us taking 3 top 10 picks at this draft as well as the two key position academy players Brand and Eyre obviously. Yes, yes, yes I’ve heard all your reasoning of the draft being diluted and more difficult this year but regardless that is a really good base to build from and I believe we’d pick up a cohort of good kids who can come through together.

Outside of the picks used to do the above, we use what’s left to pick up a low cost small defender or a jobber tall forward. If we need to trade a fringe player to facilitate this then so be it but at least one of these could be DFA perhaps.

By not bringing in heaps of mature age quality players and given the trajectory we’re on as a team anyway we’d ensure that we would most likely finish bottom 4 in what is a really strong draft the following year. If Merrett sees enough signs that we are regenerating and sticks around at this point great, if not he’d attract free agency offers that I’m confident would land us a pick after our first selection which would mean 2 x top 5 picks in a ripping draft. If he stays though, that’s great too.

Then in 2022 we start to show signs that we have a strong depth of talent in our squad and start playing good footy and look like a club on the up that is an attractive proposition to go to.

At this point we hit the trade and free agency button and bring in quality, top end players to fill the areas of need that we have left and launch our assault on the flag in the ensuing few years!

5 Likes

Just found an article. Estimated $650k and that Freo would probably pay a part of it to get him out.

But for the budget pick, as you said, maybe GWS taking on the whole lot.

2 Likes

Yeah i’m just guessing there. With such a low pick Freo would be crazy to cover any of his contract.

2 Likes

So if this kid is the standout, clear, best potential footballer in the draft, why isn’t he bid on at 1??. Is it just to try and curry favour with Footscay, for future dealings?.

1 Like

Other clubs that were keen on Hogan baulked at the $ too apparently

2 Likes

third party deals…shhhs before someone cottons on to this lol

2 Likes

Because you wont get him anyway so whats the point.

Id prefer to signal to a young player that you are the one we want, show them the love from the start.

understood, but in war, to weaken a rival is smart.

1 Like

because of marque being a number 1 player.

Also due to the nature of this year, he hasn’t played as much as he normally would have. same with other vic kids.

I think if your North, you probably bid for him. But if McDonalds there maybe they rate him higher due to exposed form.

Swans I thought were after mids, so may not be the guy they want.

That leaves the hawks at 4. who would love a buddy clone.

It definitely is. But i think in this scenario you have to worry more about yourself and less about your opponent.

Different also in a 1:1 contest compared to footy which is 1:17

1 Like

What about in sport? Being that the two things are in no way alike…

2 Likes