2020 trades speculation

Ok cheers, maintain distance and dont let him make you

Is he wearing a tie? Can you describe his sock?

which is why itā€™s interesting in the first place.
surely he wouldnā€™t come here without any assurances heā€™d get midfield time, but then who for ?

Merrett,sheil, parish Mcgrath ??
If hepp gets fit heā€™ll be in there alot too.

So thereā€™s only really one real spot thatā€™s going to have to be rotated between at present, langford, guelfi (canā€™t see him staying if heā€™s forced back to hbf), snelling and all the others.

so potentially 4 of the 5 midfield spots are taken up already by players who spend the majority of the time (parish now too since midway through the season), so unless thereā€™s a major shift next season and by in by alot of players playing new roles, youā€™d have to think any potential midfielder coming into the club wouldnā€™t be getting much gametime in the middle.

so makes you wonder what the selling point is, other than potentially money, IF he even has picked us or anyone yet.

Dunno much about the Caldwell kid but me personally Iā€™d prefer Brodie or Constable.
Not Knocking the kidā€¦ After all heā€™s on an AFL list playing games and my claim to footy fame was coming runner up best forward for Woodville south u17s 20 years ago :joy: funny because i played as an outside mid.

Based on size Caldwell is 183cm
Shiel - 182cm
Parish - 181cm
Zerrett - 180
McGrath - 178cm
Meaningless i know, after all Diesel won 2 Brownlows standing 176cm so does size matter? My wife thinks so.
TBH its the same old story weā€™ve heard for a couple years regarding us needing a big body mid.

Based on stats aloneā€¦ Iā€™d say Brodie would be more beneficial to our team but take a look for yourself.

Stats: Caldwell

Brodie:

Based on Salary and Picks needed to acquire himā€¦does what he brings to the team justify the cost? are we paying for current impact is good enough or are we paying for Potential?

Stats, Size, Team balance, Potential (is a dirty wordā€¦thanks high school teachers)ā€¦ who would you rather? My money ($4.90 in my wallet atm) is on Brodie & and iā€™d take Constable over Caldwell too.

Like i said not knocking him but in my personal opinion i donā€™t think he fits in to the team dynamics as well as Will or Charlie would. Dunno why i think that i just like saying things.

But i donā€™t know shyte compared to list managers, i just watch footy and scream at the television because we play good consistent footy, sometimes, not often enough, but some games, but not many, if any, but i still be screaming at my television.

If the Club believe he will have an immediate impact that benifits the team more than Brodie or any other Mid weā€™re looking at then call me a 76ers fan and Iā€™ll trust the process.

1 Like

This is the only place that has said he has nominated us.

The BF confirmation was a stir?

Is it anywhere else?

But he wouldnā€™t be worth getting on his own?

Any player can do that,
Turn in the tackle and lift your arms.

I dont think heigh plays a massive role in that, its just a lost technique that not many players use anymore.

No.

Did you post this b4 dude,or am I tripping?

The thing you have to take into account is that this guy was rated as the 9th best player in the super draft two years ago. So to have the opportunity to get that sort of talent in the door, for what might be a second round pick, is too good a moneyball scenario to let go.

Heā€™s also only 20 years old and already weighs 82kgs (Dylan Shiel is 83kgs according to Footywire), so he could easily get to 85-86kgs and be a nugget.

As a simple cost-benefit, you cant say no to getting him in (thats if we can get him for a second)

(BTW I still agree with you that we should also be targeting bigger bodies as well, and according to some rumours on here, we are after Ely Smith which is exactly what you are after)

3 Likes

We need to throw around more terms like money ball, war chest and destination club. What does the analytics say about that?

3 Likes

But if weā€™re talking moneyball shouldnā€™t it be based on numbers/stats per game rather than ratings in a draft year?

Donā€™t get me wrong Iā€™d hand over a 2nd rounder for himā€¦ but based on moneyball logic only after we get Brodie though.

None of these players are good at baseball. Brad Pitt would be furious at you all.

2 Likes

Limited exposure, but what Iā€™ve seen of Caldwell I really liked - good mover, footy smarts, skilled, a touch of class. We could use all that. On exposed form Iā€™d much rather him than either Constable or Brodie because I think his ceiling is much higher. Iā€™ll be thrilled if we pick him up.

A bit of mention about Smith in this thread also. As you do, generally thereā€™s a few players every draft year youā€™re drawn to and keep an eye on. Smith was one of those I had my eye on in his draft year. Heā€™s a good size if thatā€™s what youā€™re worried about, and works well inside and out. I donā€™t know if heā€™ll ever be a star, but a very good worker bee.

That was a couple of years ago and Iā€™m no draft expert, just a punter with an eye for whatā€™s about. Iā€™m definitely on board for Caldwell, and if Smith is the steak knives in a Daniher deal then we could do worse (Iā€™d still rather pick 7 or 8).

7 Likes

Heā€™s only played the 11 games so far, and its not like he would have got a look in last year when they were contending. But yeah i agree, this pick is clearly about potential rather than output to date.

In this case, the relative to the cost, the potential gain from this trade outweighs the risk.

Ely Smith is 187 and 86kgs as a bloke thats just turned 20 btw

1 Like

My Brizzy mate says Smith is alrightā€¦ but he also told me Cutler was gonna show our boys how itā€™s done.
I donā€™t mind us looking at players with some scope (caldwell or not) for a 2nd rounder because at the end of the day all new draftees are in the same boat imo.

1 Like

We canā€™t build a list without considering possible injuries. We need to have depth in case players are injured or suspended. Itā€™s unlikely we (especially us) go through a whole season without having any injuries to our starting mids. Just this year, Merrett, Shiel, Heppell and McGrath missed at various stages due to injury or suspension.

For Caldwell, he can easily pick up Smith, Langford, Walla and some of Stringerā€™s rotations so we can promise him midfield time. Iā€™d also prefer seeing Merrett play a more outside role. Thereā€™d be a spot for him even with our full strength side. He can replace injured and suspended players as well. If he does really well, then he cements his spot.

His other options are St Kilda, who are stacked with inside mids and GWS, who are also stacked with inside mids.

1 Like

Not that hard to fit him in IMO

Langford and Zerrett out to wing (means Cutler and Ham depth only).

Then there are 5 main mids in rotation, three starting, two on bench. Hep, Shiel, McGrath, Parish, Caldwell.

And one who is the HFF/mid - Snelling

Now Caldwell also apparently adept in playing forward so he and Snelling could be interchanging

Stringer just doing some pinch hitting at times, prob when Hep on bench. Or just for impact as required.

ā€¦

Nb. Now that I have done this my earlier post about possibly looking at Matt Crouch seems silly. Def no room (unless Hep played HBF, but that is silly also)

1 Like

I have about 4 really good mates who all barrack for geelong and all 4 of them think constable is rubbish.

I havnt seen much of him but going by that I dont think we should be prioritising him over Caldwell just because hes a bit taller.

5 Likes

Just putting this here. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes