2021 All australian Team - essendon player chances

pretty good side. there’s no chance touk miller isn’t AA this year though imo

Yeah it’s always a lottery, balancing who’s playing well vs the industry hype.
Add a sympathy vote for the AFL’s love children, GC, Sydney GWS, and to a lesser extent Brisbane & Perth reams.
So Touk is probably in, on hype rather than influence on games.
Could well steal Merrett’s spot, though Merrett has had a better year.
Against that, the hype on Parish & Stringer gives them a shot.

I reckon Petracca has dropped off the pace, but the hype factor is enormous.
Certainly I’d have May ahead of Lever. And Ridley plus Laverde have matched Lever over the year.
Salem grossly overrated but, again, Hind no hope.

And I’d have Big Sammy as second ruck, but I’ll have to wait for next year.

Petracca, Bont, Parish is your walk up starting AA midfield. It’s really not even up for debate. Or at least it shouldn’t be to anyone who’s been paying attention…

Outside those, bit of blanket over a few including Merrett, Zorko, Touk Miller et al.

So you are not including about half the football media then?

1 Like

and most on here… :wink:

Stringer plus one of Zach or Darcy. Reckon they go with Zach

1 Like

Parish in front of Wines and Oliver? Absolutely no chance.

Parish may make the bench, same with Merrett.

Stringer should be a lock, which is an unbelievable effort given he’s missed almost 20% of the season.

I think afl.com.au mid year backline is almost spot on. Melbourne’s big 3, Stewart, Rich. I haven’t followed Harris Andrews vs say Weitering for the 6th spot.(or someone else).

Midfield. Has to include Parish,Bont,Petracca then maybe Oliver and Macrae? Gawn ruck.

Forwards: I think Stringer may get a nod, otherwise I’d have Fritsch, McKay, Charlie Cameron, Hawkins and Reiwoldt.

That’s the starting 18.

Bench: Miller,Greene(Toby), Steele and Walsh.

And I’m missing heaps of guys still.

Very hard to pick this years AA.

1 Like

When is it announced?

Stringer and maybe parish for me.

Parish deserves to get in. In all honesty, Merrett does as well.

Stringer is a tough one. Possibly gets in on a half forward flank. I think i heard he was 6th in the league for clearances per game. He has kicked 37 goals for the year averaging 2.2 a game. If he completed a full season he would be closing in on 50 goals.
Fritsch and Greene would be the small forward options for the AA. Maybe Jake sneaks in on the bench.

if we secure three AAs that would be wonderful.

2 Likes

I left him out of the team just because GC has been so bad and it came down to a wing spot and I thought Walsh seemed like the player the selectors will pick for the wing. The mids are really difficult to pick, so many of them have had awesome years.

Petracca will be at half forward to make room for more mids.

Parish over Wines

B: Rich, May, Dale
HB: Stewart, Weitering, Lever
M: Merrett, Oliver, Walsh
HF: Stringer, Hawkins, Petracca
F: Greene, McKay, Zorko
R: Gawn, Bontempelli, Parish

Int: Miller, Wines, Darcy, McCrea

So many quality mids this year. Steele misses for mine

1 Like

Parish, Stringer and Merrett should all make it in. Reckon Parish gets a start, with the others on the bench.

But honestly, who knows, the AA is a fkn lottery.

In the same way, Walla would be ranked about #385 in the AFL since the same time, and why he’s no hope.

Not a bad effort, but I still hate Zorko.

1 Like

Touk Miller - ANY CHANCE OF US DRAFTING THIS BLOKE?

Yes, about as much as us getting Bontempelli and Toby Greene.

Is this team annoiunced tonight? As said above a lot of good midfielders in this years crop with probably less impressive performances by the Forwards and Backs. From the squad, my guess on the team that will be selecred is as follows:

B: B Dale - May - Lever
HB: Rich - Weitering - Stewart
C: McLuggage - Oliver - McCrae
HF: Petracca - Hawkins - Stringer
F: Papley - McKay - Green
R: Gawn - Bont - Wines
B: Miller - Zorko - Parish - Laird

Usually in my opinion the best side is not picked but has certain selection Bias. I tried to include the selector bias (eg picking 2 genuine wingers/ladder position/ selectors like rewarding all most sides) when guessing the team. For our three players, I think that ladder position plays a part and seeing we finished eight we will only get 2 in who will be stringer and Parish even though all three are worthy.

1 Like