2021 Strategy

well we built a forwardline structure around a player who literally wasn’t there most of the time for about four years so changing it twice in two years ought to not be that big a deal.

second point, do you reckon harry jones would be coming along like he is if he was the #1 key forward?

1 Like

We may actually want the structure that Hooker gives us, with a plan to use Wright or Bryan or whoever there next year if Hooker requires. In that case it’s not building a structure around Hooker, but building the structure that Truck wants, and finding Hooker the best option for that structure while others develop.

2 Likes

I’ll answer this again
Given you ignored my response last time in another thread.
If Hooker retires
2MP takes the Hooker role
The resting one of Draper & Bryan take the 2MP role. Which is deep second tall.
Jones keeps the Jones role

• which is more of a CHF role anyway

Therefore no change in structure
That’s why we lose nothing from playing Cale this year.

1 Like

Yes, because what we’re building is a structure, not a Hooker-centric plan.

Which really just sounds like a reasonable Saturday night.

3 Likes

Always good to have a fallback option.

3 Likes

What kids aren’t being given opportunities? We are currently both giving everyone games and winning. The perfect combo.

Other than those who’ve had injuries(Reid, Draper and Caldwell) I don’t see anyone else we need to play. Maybe throw Eyre a couple at some point.

Actually Bryan is probably the one I’d like to see more of.

1 Like

This should be a poll

Settle down creepy.

1 Like

Try to win as many games as possible. If the kids are good enough, like cox, Perkins and Jones, they will get games.

Nothing is worse than blooding kids who clearly aren’t ready for the big time and it sets their careers back

Look at the demons of 10 or so years ago and Carlton as prime examples

1 Like

Posssibly:

• Arguably Cahill should have been medical sub over Ambrose to get a taste (which would have turned out more than a taste given how early McGrath was injured). Cahill might also have some claims over Zaka before.
  • Zerk over Stewart, but Stewart is young enough that we can persist with him for a number of years.
  • Bryan over Phillips, but he doesn’t really have the tank yet. Needs to play when Wright is available as a chop-out (or in Wright’s role).

the reality is we don’t have a Hooker replacement on the list

Unless Baldwin was up and running and ready to go.

or we switch Stewart forward as the big guy and play Reid back.

Or we play Reid up there. Or play Wright as the FF, and Bryan or Draper as the second forward.

So actually, lots of options.

Yes… err… fallback. Quite right.

If we go to the draft I see Hooker going around again to help assist in our forward line and give more experience to Jones. That’s if we don’t decide to go after a player.

The Hurley going forward ( if he does play next season ) won’t happen.

Isn’t Waterman a perfect Hooker replacement?

I think there are differing viewpoints at the selection table.

Look at the North game where we went in as favourites: Why did we leave our development players to battle in a VFL game with little substance and almost no mature leadership in our game plan (and Ham as medical sub), leaving zero opportunity for our young players to build confidence or master game plans?

Then against WC, no VFL opportunity, no development, no young ins

Followed this up with Richmond, again no VFL and we select Ambrose over Cahill. Did having Zaka remain in give that mature leadership - maybe? Maybe not

Definitely two voices at the selection table and one of them doesn’t wear the development re-build hat

I’m 80/20 for Strategy 2 and 3. But on game day I can’t help myself. 100% for a win and greatly disappointed when we lose. Logically, we have to plan for development and sustained success and that will take some sacrifices. Emotionally, win at all costs.

I can’t help thinking if we do worse than the teams around us in the lead-in, we’ll finish with pick #5 or #6. I know that would mean the end of season wasn’t great, but it feels like we learned a lot from this season, if we could also come away with a top young player that would be great.

As we’ve pushed for finals, this has very much reminded me of 2009.

4 Likes

We really, really need more top end quality in the side who can/will actually impact games.

The dreaded mid-table finish is looming large once again…

3 Likes

I think we are 2 pre seasons and a clean injury list away from a legit top 4 challenge.

Finishing 13th is better than fighting for 9th, even 8th and a finals loss would be worse.

3 Likes