2022 Draft Watch (Part 1)

There is going to be intense competition for Brisbane’s first rounder.

Imagine Essendon got it, and Davey became our third pick in the draft…ooohhhh…

But GC carry unbeatable spending power…we need to send some players up there, to make those picks ours:

2 Likes

The 2x SA clubs are a threat but GCS and Richmond have plenty of spending power in the range and are two clubs with a history of taking a punt on players like Anthony Munkara

It does show the issue from a recruitment perspective of finishing 8th. If the ladder played out like this year, even though we’d have a standard draft hand, only 5 clubs would have worse draft hands than us.

Does emphasise the importance of using our purported excess salary cap on a FA to boost our off-season performance. Although we’re also hoping father-son luck will also boost it.

2022 free agents list is here:

Looking at that list, and ignoring players who are unlikely to leave their current teams (e.g. Walters, Heeney, Zorko), about the only one I’d be interested in is Jamie Elliott. If he stayed on the park would be interested. But overall, a pretty underwhelming list.

I think I’ve got something…

We need to follow Collingwood’s example from this year. Get in early, trade our 2023 First Rounder to GC in return for a huge number of 2022 points. GC obviously have too many picks, and they will appreciate being able to quickly solve that problem, by moving it all up the draft order in the future.

We might also need to convince a (tall) Essendon player to go up there. That’s what GC fundamentally want, but it is difficult to predict player movement.

Anyway, with all those points from GC, we become a natural partner to trade with Brisbane for their first rounder.

Taking two players before Davey is the dream way to play the system IMO…if the draft looks anything like @THE_DON1 early rankings, we might be the club uniquely motivated to do this.

The biggest take away from that article is that we should be putting decent offers in front of Langford and Lav ASAP.

Oh, and I’ll take one Bailey Dale please.

3 Likes

True about it being relatively lean but would be stoked to add any of Maynard, Moore, Barrass, Macrae, Dale or Daniel. Granted none of them scream need but each would improve our list immensely in their own way.

Any chance we could pick up George Wardlaw, to have some (distant) family playing for the Bombers would be a dream come true!

Maybe they’d like 2MP

3 Likes

You have rated the Davey too high! You’re meant to pick holes in their game all year and play down their strengths.

5 Likes

So how do we hide the Daveys until next year?

well they aren’t playing NTFL

I’ve got a three-way trade ready for execution. It’s a shame that we have to wait 12 months.

There are so many picks in the mix, that minor point re-allocations are easy:

ESS BEFORE: 11+29+47+65 + ESS Future 1st
ESS AFTER: 11+15+38+39+47+65

BRIS BEFORE: 15+33+53+69
BRIS AFTER: 26+29+33+53+56+62

GC BEFORE: 3+20+21+26+38+39+56+62
GC AFTER: 3+20+21+69 + ESS Future 1st

Missed Maynard, he’d be useful. Not interested in the talls. Very much doubt the Bulldogs leave.

1 Like

I thought that was so they had a proper pre-season for their u18 year?

A fit Elliott would be okay, but also we’d want to have a pretty good next year before I’d be adding a 30 year old to the list.

He’s a UFA, so I’m envisaging him coming for success rather than money.

yeh but what happens if it’s interrupted again with covid.

not playing helps hide them a little as not televised and getting listed in bests etc.

I would have likely tuned into some matches if they were playing.

Would love Maynard. He’s a gun

would it really be worth it to hide them? I reckon they’d be missing out on valuable development time if they’re not playing

3 Likes