2022 Draft Watch (Part 2)

I believe the correct terminology here is Macedonian Marvel!

1 Like

Great question, was thinking the same.

Massimo honestly feels like another 1st round talent we’ve added. All because Walla wanted a break from footy.

1 Like

Phillipou come on down

We must trade in and grab both.

I wont tolerate anything else.

14 Likes

I would say the Tsatas Vs Phillipou decision will make or break Dodoro and his recruiting teams career… but we know that won’t be the case.

After the last decade or so just expect the one we don’t select to be the superior player wherever he ends up.

I think Tsatas is destined to be a great player, whereas based on his year this year (SA league etc) Phillipou could be anything from above average to superstar. Both will become solid contributors though, it’s such a tough choice that it would be harsh to blame Dodoro for how it looks 5 years from now.

2 Likes

You have looked at the players we’ve taken in the top 10 in the last decade haven’t you? We’ve actually had good results compared to what was available

2 Likes

It’s also possible that they may have already had their papers stamped, from the external review for example, but we haven’t been able to act on it due to how close trade and draft periods were…

Surely once this draft draft, well maybe rookie is over Dodoro is gone. It’s been a clean sweep through the club - we couldnt bounce him just before the drafts. Once this is over its a new era - new coach, new president, new ceo, new development coaches. Hopefully new list manager

3 Likes

We’ve picked up some extremely good players in those top 10 picks, yes. But so we should have. Any mug on here could have his role and pick some good talent at that stage.

Have we picked the draft standouts or the absolute cream of the crop? Nope. “Oh but we’ve only had the top pick once in that time” … shouldn’t matter. Many, many other clubs and players have been chosen in that 2-16 bracket and absolutely flourished.

The debate could rage whether that is Dodoro or the club’s development fault/issue. But I reckon it is a bit of both.

The Tsatas Vs Phillipou decision is going to be massive.

1 Like

Phillipou has Josh Rosen vibes. TSATAS

1 Like

:joy::joy:

Its not like hus 35 years old either. Lot of footy left him yet. In 5 years we can make a better judgement call. Its stillall there just needs a clear run with injury.

Essendon Football Club shared a post on Instagram: "Friday Massimo.". Follow their account to see 5182 posts.

mass looks to be in great nick.

15 Likes

Just watching Tsatas’ highlights on the AFL website - and I’ve swung right back to him! Looks seriously awesome. Especially after watching some of the SA games, and seeing that Phillipou might only ever be a medium forward, and not make it as a midfielder. Watching Tsatas’ work around the contest vs Phillipou is night and day.

10 Likes

How dare you!!!

Where’s the ■■■■■■■ phantom draft

I am The Phantom.

1 Like

Well start walking.

1 Like

And yet paid professionals with top 10 picks have picked Josh Schache and Paddy Dow types all over the place.

As for picking “the best player” in a particular draft, there’s only one in any draft, and if they’re getting picked 10 slots behind our pick you can assume there was a fair bit of luck involved with the club that got them.

And given all of that, for drafts that we can judge recently, Merrett is clearly top 5 from his draft, Parish clearly top 10 and maybe even higher. And in McGraths draft 7 of the top 10 have already been traded, and McGrath and Ridley are both clearly amongst the top group out of that draft.

We’ve wasted some picks (in particular second rounders) but generally we’ve drafted well for a while. Whether that relates to RFK taking control of talent identification and then providing the advice for Dodoro to read out, I don’t know, but we’re getting talent in the door. We just need more clear direction on gameplan and the types of player required (rather the chopping and changing every year) and a period of stability and clarity in coaching and football management

12 Likes