2022 Midseason draft

Clubs? Clubs, plural?

10 Likes

From Big Footy:

Chrispiesssss said:
https://sanfl.com.au/league/clubs/west-adelaide/1027021/?league=sanfl&season=2022

22 year old dominating the SANFL in his first season.

Josh Carmichael, 189cm, averaging 24.3 disposals, 5.5 clearances and 1.2 goals.

3 Likes

In a side that’s 0 / 6.

2 Likes

but can he play HBF?

Sorry Ants I didn’t mean to reply to you.

How many of us had Snelling or Durham on our radar for their respective Mid season drafts. And with the exception of maybe Newcombe who was gone before our pick I wouldn’t trade either of them for any of the other names in both drafts.

I am content with a wait and see approach and wont be quick to judge who we pick up as this is one of the only areas of the draft we have proven form.

Edit. But it might kill what little is left for my love of this club if no pick is taken as that is inexcusable.

4 Likes

Yep, there should be one rule. No toys out the cot.

People legit wanted to murder someone when we called out Durham’s name

9 Likes

Some general comments from Big Footy’s thread on mature options.

lionshine:
Wade Derksen, Mutaz El Nour and Max Ramsden the early contenders I think.
Jeffcrowe:
I’d add in Ethan Grace (giants academy but 19 yo and not tied ) and Jacob Baeur ( former swans academy now North Adelaide )

Snuffaluphagus said:
From what I’ve seen around here, the best one to ask is Futbolista who is paying a lot of attention on the WA guys. I’m just gaga over Derksen because I’m watching the Freo players at Peel each week. It does seem like Teakle and Derksen are the top two WA talls for MSD (if Derksen gets approval)
Futbolista:
If I was Fremantle I would take him mid-season. I think he’s exciting. He’s a very good mover for someone listed at 197cm. I wouldn’t be surprised if Fremantle suggested he join Peel actually.
Freo_leo29:
Resigned to seeing Derksen picked up before Freo have a pick. Has come from nowhere really, not like he has been under our noses, moved from NT to Essendon VFL during covid so didn’t really play and then to Peel this year. I think he would be a good pickup, especially as insurance for Lobb, still has development in him as he is only 20

Giantroo:
Mitch O’Neil as well.
Strapping Young Lad:
He’s the one I would like the Hawks to look at. We need more balanced mids.
Giantroo:
Yep, North are looking at him.
His numbers are staggering so far. Averaging 33 disposals, 6 clearances and 5.3 tackles a game for the Panthers.
Mutineer:
O’Neill is a bit different to those two (Powell & Phillips) but, he certainly has more outside run to his game than those two, he’s genuine inside/outside mid whereas the other two are more inside leaning. IMO as better kick as well.

Chrispiesssss:
Haven’t seen much (of Josh Carmichael) but he looks strong over the ball and obviously has a knack for the goals.

Harlequin Dream:
The other small forward that should be looked at is Zane Williams.
Has taken a leap this year. Going from 11 goals in 10 games to 13 goals in 6 games.
Very good pressure forward and he is 183 cm, so he doesn’t have any height concerns.

Harlequin Dream:
Anyone else watching the WAFL vs SANFL game?
Casey Voss, Josh Carmichael and Mitch O’Neill should clearly be picked up. They were just so classy in that half.
Coomblas, Ballenden and Williams look good too.
From WA, Florenca and Pegoraro
PureOwnage (Geelong): Shhh we need pegoraro (and a ruck for that matter).

PushInTheBack: James Blanck is a weapon. MSD Monty.

Lionshine:
I just finished the first half of the Carlton v Fitzroy Cubs game. Experienced state leaguers/ex-AFL players like Reuben William, Kym Le Bois, Bior Malual and Nigel Lockyer were all solid. Ariek Lual, Werribee VFL player has played well. Blayne O’Loughlin, Isaiah Dudley and Fitzroy Greenwool have all shown some flashes. 19 year old VAFA player Leon Alao who trained with the Sandringham VFL side over pre season has done some really classy things, I can see him getting a VFL chance next year, has some AFL attributes. Basketball convert Akol Deng who is also on Werribee’s VFL list has taken some strong marks.
The player who has shown the most AFL traits in my opinion is Emmanuel Ajang, another Werribee VFL player. He is freakish athletically and kicked a couple goals.
It is a one off showcase game against Carlton’s VFL side. It is to showcase Indigenous/culturally diverse players primarily aged 19-23 years old from around the country in the lead up to the Mid Season Draft. They played in the Indigenous Fitzroy jumper named the “Fitzroy Cubs”. The team was stacked with Sudanese players from Werribee’s VFL side including, William, Malual, Lual, Ajang and Deng.
Lore:
It’s not VFL, VFL has a bye this weekend.
Fitzroy Cubs is a squad they’ve put together ahead of the MSD for 18-23 state leaguers who fit certain other criteria like culturally and linguistically diverse, Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander or Bris/Fitz father-sons.
One of the opportunities to showcase their skills against men was this game against Carlton’s VFL side.
Bostonian: Emmanuel has played all his footy in the GFL this season at Geelong West Giants.
Lionshine: yeah he hasn’t played any VFL thus far but is on Werribee’s list.

Interesting discussion on 19 year olds dominating NAB footy.

Harlequinn_dream:
As a rule, I don’t trust NAB League form for 19-year-olds. They should dominate and we have already seen enough flops to be wary.
Are Culley and Ramsden the only players who have enough upside to be worth the risk this year?

Davo 27:
not many, if any? have made it in the few years the MSD has been around(19 yr olds from NAB League), probably better to look at 19-23 year olds in the state leagues, they are much more likely to work out imo.

2019 - Mitch Riordan, Kyle Dunkley, Cody Hirst
2020 - cancelled
2021 - Jacob Edwards, Patrick Parnell, Ned Moyle, Max Heath, Charlie Ham, Aiden Begg, Daniel Turner

Mutineer: Parnell will play plenty of AFL when he builds his body up, the talent is absolutely there.
PocketRocket08: Luke Cleary and he is about to debut for bulldogs Friday night
Briztoon: So three of them are rucks.
We selected a 20 year old ruck, Kalin Lane out of the WAFL reserves in last year’s MSD. He was back up to Jackson at the 2019 Championships. He’s come on a lot since last year, and has been going great in the VFL as our lead ruck. Those other rucks are a year younger, so should be given plenty of slack before anyone passes judgment on them. I know GC fans are really happy with Moyle’s development. Wonder how Heath is going at St Kilda?

Davo-27: rucks are probably more likely to develop from rookie or MSD picks, it was mentioned last year, thats why Ramsden might be in high demand? but my post was not about no one making it from the NAB League to the AFL from the MSD, more that if you’re looking for the best talent it’s more likely to come from the State Leagues VFL/WAFL/SANFL from the MSD, because the 19-23 year olds have to work that much harder to make it in those leagues, rucks could be a work around because of their delayed development and could be a good investment project wise from the NAB League, but if a team needs a ruck now or soon it might be better to get one from the state leagues so it depends on the team and their needs.

I want a meathead like Sam Powell Pepper.

It’s understood West Adelaide midfielder Josh Carmichael, Sandringham Dragons forward Hugo Hall-Kahan and Port Melbourne defender Will Reinhold were the only players handed AFL exemptions to nominate.

I’m not sure how not having any season ending injuries is “inexcusable”. The only alternative would be leaving a list spot open, which would mean we wouldn’t have recruited one of Wanganeen or Martin.

Imagine Culley slips to 3 and we take a 181cm mid.

If we had two picks, my current preferences would be Culley and Zane Williams.

Culley adds to the midfield but can also kick goals. Williams is averaging 2.2 goals and 4 tackles a game, so adds to our small forward stocks.

Note: I haven’t actually watched any of these players…

Why do they need exemptions?

Because they didn’t nominate for the draft last year.

2 Likes

I see Culley’s hair and I can’t help but think that would be on the list of cons for our recruiters.

Edit: actually, that would be quite self aware. I bet it’s not on the list of cons, but there’s a small question mark on his professionalism, and they think it’s a gut feel but it’s literally just the hair.

4 Likes

I don’t know what Culley’s hair is like, but you do remember we drafted Durham’s last year, right?

1 Like

Culley and Trudgeon sound good.

1 Like

Durham’s just got a mullet. That’s the sort of hair people had when we were back to back premiers. Culley’s got white boy hippy dreads.