2022 trade speculation (Part 2)

Sorry mate, just telling the truth

Agree but all the deals WILL happen and have been spoken about happening for months-somehow they get out but none about us!

The players we are still keen on havnā€™t nominated a club yet, hoping they are just waiting to speak with our new coach first. Eg bowes, hunter clark, bedford

Just to expand on this, we have to delist McBride and he has to nominate for the draft again, but if he doesnā€™t get picked we can put him back on the Cat B list for an additional year. Iā€™d assume weā€™ll be fine.

5 Likes

The HS reported Menzies was signed for 2023 when he was selected in the mid season draft(18 month contract).

2 Likes

Iā€™m sure Massimo wasā€¦donā€™t recall Menzie being.

6 Likes

Yes that was Mass.

11 Likes

Hope we are having a crack at Hunter Clark.

4 Likes

It still leaves us tight for list spots for 2023 if Menzie is contracted for 2023.

So in a perfect world, we get McBride and Munkara on Cat B list in 2023 - a win for Ess.
Can Cat B rookies be used as LTI coverage ?

I have read that the next player that could be delisted could be Eyres. Any others likely ??

This does not take into consideration any existing players who seek trades to another team - additional to Ham, Francis and Waterman - who l already assume are gone.

The possibility of McKenna coming back to Ess in 2023 is also out there.

I would delist Brand before Eyre simply because Eyre has athletic traits and upside. Brand is better now but I canā€™t see him having an AFL career. Iā€™m guessing Iā€™m in the minority.

Eyre has hands like my 6 month old nephew. He couldnā€™t catch a cold.

I think weā€™ve had enough of the athletes over footballers at Tullamarine.

6 Likes

Why was nobody keen on Lachie Hunter. Before his drink driving stuff he was a gun and vice captain. I havenā€™t seen much of his last two years, but at 28 heā€™d offer abit for a few years and come cheap if WB are offloading him. Iā€™d prefer him on a wing to Heppel.

2 Likes

I think this is a poor list strategy. The assumption is that B grade/state league key defenders/key forwards such as Ratugola will provide more than if we back the young talls weā€™ve drafted in. Iā€™d prefer to spend 2023 seeing how Eyre (198cm), McBride (197cm), Reid (202cm), and Brand (195cm) go and then chase talls if they fail. Those players (plus Cox/Baldwin/Jones up forward) are all still of an age they can be anything from failures to top line players. E.g. Alex Rance, Cale Hooker, Hawkins, all took until their 4th-5th years to become regular AFL performers (as opposed to getting a game and having a minor impact like Jones this year).

Iā€™d be perfectly happy with just taking 6 new players + Munkara Cat B, where Bowes and #7 are two of those.

4 Likes

Not seen that before. Thanks. Good news.

2 Likes

Iā€™m speculating but I swear he was only a 6 month contract when he was first drafted. Could have had a performance clause which triggered the further 12 months.

1 Like

You would expect that Ham, Francis and Waterman would be the next three on the chopping block. Iā€™d expect all of them before Eyres or Brand.

I believe that ever since COVID that Cat Bs can be played at any time, just like anyone else on the list. The change was made due to COVID impacts on lists and the reduction in the list size. I donā€™t believe itā€™s been rescinded.

Weird as HS had him as uncontracted 2 days ago:

Essendon (7)

Cody Brand, Josh Eyre, Aaron Francis, Brayden Ham, Jye Menzie, Cian McBride, Alec Waterman

Francis is desperate for a fresh start after 54 games across seven years since being the No.6 pick in the 2015 draft. McBride will stick around as a category B rookie. The Bombers have already locked away their priority re-signings and have been linked to various opposition players in recent months, so a few guys on this list might have a nervous wait ahead. There might not be any movement here until Essendon locks in Ben Ruttenā€™s replacement as coach.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-contracts-every-player-without-a-deal-beyond-2022/news-story/ea515d2622b72ec42977566705d59e84

2 Likes

Apparently heā€™s an absolute ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– . Always up to no good and a really bad influence on other players. One of the main reasons Dunkley wanted out. That coming from somebody that knows a few in the playing group.

1 Like

Draft picks and little details are not obstacles when you set sight on long term objectives. I think Tigers will do their best to get both deals done.