2023 BBFFL#2 Discussion

@redbull would it be possible to update the draft order after all these trades?

Will do tonight. Apologies work has been keeping me busy the last 10 days. I also need to respond to some trade questions.

1 Like

Draft order is updated

6 Likes

Final draft order now posted

3 Likes

I’m well aware that I’ve traded away any real likelihood of pushing for another flag this year. That’s ok, I’d made that decision to go that way. Mills, Zerrett and Marshall are all absolutely elite and not replaceable in the short term. All, incidentally, were taken in the drafts. But I enjoyed the list build and we’ll try to do it again.

I must say, I’m slightly bewildered by the lack of contact considering I was willing to let more top notch players move. I pushed hard for maximum value on Marshall, (in part because Craze had already benefitted from Mills, lol) but i didn’t push for maximum return on Zerrett or Mills because that was really the point. Incidentally, if I’d agreed to all of Craze’s proposals on my players, he’d have just about had half a premiership squad, lol !

I’ve loved having Zerrett. He was my first ever draft pick . 7 years later, he’d spearheaded our drive to a premiership . He’ll continue to be an elite cornerstone for Trotters and I can only wish him well.

Mills was outstanding last year and the move into the midfield will ensure he’s a top end player for 5-6 years. Marshall, imo, is the most valuable player in the league. Not the best outright, but the most valuable. We’re going to miss him hugely, of course. Both of these players immediately make Crazy a formidable opponent. In an ideal world, would i have sent both players to one side? No. But Craze is active, loves to turn lists over and it’s hard to trade with those who aren’t active. I’d probably have cleared another player or two if someone had come knocking, but it wasn’t to be.

On the flipside, Jarryd Berry comes in. It’s a bit of a raffle this one, but a new face to start a new squad with. Has started the preseason in decent form and may acquire forward status. I like 2MP as a player, and we needed to find a 2nd ruck option if we were going to let Marshall move on. Lycett will play first ruck, 2MP offers some insurance and can play forward as well. Is he Marshall? No., of course not. But he’s an option that allowed list changes without seriously compromising the structure of the squad. I was also hunting around for a youngish defender that wouldn’t cost the world. A couple of options didn’t happen, but Crozier is an interesting prospect. Could be a total bust , lol. We’ll see over the next season, I guess.

And now we’ll go to the draft with early picks, try to get a mini rebuild happening, probably drop down the ladder a fair way and start a new push to top four again.

Thanks to all coaches I conversed with over the last few months. And good luck to every coach for the season ahead. If it’s not my mob winning it - and i don’t think it can be - then i hope we get another first time winner. And a couple of sides should be better for some talent moving around. That’d be pretty cool.

7 Likes

Probably my most active trade period with this team for quite some time and pretty happy with the ins and outs:

In: Christian Salem, Chad Wingard, Kieren Briggs, picks 54, 56, 81
Out: Pick 4, 94, 130, Jack Henry, Ely Smith, Nathan O’Driscoll

Was pretty determined to hold onto pick 4 heading into the trade period but got an offer too good to refuse with Salem and pick 18, which I then flicked for Wingard. Felt it was important to get a couple of guys that should hold B and F eligibility for the rest of their career, too many times recently I’ve drafted young dual position players only for them to end up as Cs within a season. These guys should hopefully still be playing as I’m pushing (hopefully) for top 4 in a couple of seasons.

I’ve drafted plenty of youth over the last few seasons, felt it was worth adding some scoring power to hopefully push into the finals off he back of natural improvement from the young guys. Drafting Hollands last year means I effectively have a new recruit anyway, but thought it was time to start winning some games!

Likely best 18 following the trade period:

Salem, Day, Petrevski-Seton
Howe, Perryman
Bontempelli, Simpkin, Jones, LDU, Anderson, Duursma
Bailey, Wingard, McStay
Bianco, Stephenson
De Koning
Hollands

Reserves: Briggs, Poulter

6 Likes

IN: Cripps, O’Driscoll, Pick 12
OUT: Tom Green, Liam Ryan, Pick 37

Essentially upgraded Green to Cripps, upgraded Pick 37 to Pick 12 and effectively swapped Liam Ryan for Nathan O’Driscoll (the pick I got for Ryan I on-traded for NOD). I’d say solid overall. Cripps looks great pre-season and should add to my midfield and give me an elite scorer. Held onto the #1 pick, did get some offers but none were sufficient for me to part with it. I wanted a franchise-altering haul otherwise I was going to keep it in my possession. Now to my keepers and the draft!

1 Like

No movement from me, not from lack of people trying. Sticking to the plan and don’t want to lose picks or players at this point. Very interested to see who I get at 3. I think it’s changed in the last week.

Well at least you know it’s not Daicos or JHF! :laughing:

2 Likes

I’m interested to see where Hobbs goes.

Hmmm. I wonder.

Dons players generally go earlier than expected, so I’d anticipate top 5?

IN: Marshall, Mills, Gresham, Rivers, Reeves, Henry, Rioli and Redden.

OUT: Berry, Kennedy, Waterman, Rotham, Narkle, Cunningham, Briggs.

My entire 20 keepers, bar Redden, are 27 or under.

I had that last deal for Redden right on the backburner waiting to confirm last second to see if I could get any other last second deals done, I think I gave @DonToDeath the sweats :rofl: For my 20th spot it was a choice between 30-40 averaging spuds and using my pick 106 on Redden who averages 90+ and the choice was simple, despite his age. It went against my overall strategy of no one over 27 but it’d be silly not to have him over a speculative spud like Ham for example.

Strategy was to again like last year, bolster my 20 keepers. 2 years ago I had barely 12 keepers that were decent and before that maybe 8 or 9, with the rest being spuds or fill-ins (last year I was using late picks just to fill my keepers.) This year I feel like for the first time in this comp I now have a strongish 20 keepers capable of challenging for finals. Redden obviously rounding that out, he’ll provide decent 90 averaging coverage if I need for a few years, honestly worth more than a charity late pick that I gave up for.

I gave up a lot for Marshall especially pick wise, which might have surprised some, but honestly after the first 4 or so picks, the draft looked very thin to me. I was hoping some draftees would stamp their name in the pre-season games so I could venture into the draft with surety, but no one did outside the top few 4 or so did so. First time in years I can remember so few rookies pressing their names for selection which forced my hand in looking to trade out picks for something more proven. Giving up pick 5 and 7 and Berry for a top notch premium ruck/forward like Marshall in the prime of his career seemed like an easy choice in the end, as Saladin says, would almost be the best player in the competition taking into account scoring and position scarcity. Mills also a big in, traded in cheaply for a guy that is a proven premium 110+ scorer. Thankfully no one else persued Saladin for him.

Also hoping I got good value for Dan Rioli. His switch to the half-back line proved fruitful in the last 5 games last year where he averaged around 75 and he put up another 87 yesterday from the backline. Gresham was needed for my forwardline, and I’m hoping he’s over his injury troubles and again averages in the 80-100 mark. Rivers and Henry are two young backs brought in and hopefully to press their averages upwards from here, Rivers could hit an 80 average with a bit of luck. Only risk I took was bringing in Reeves, reckon he is 50-50 shot at first dib ruck at the Hawks, but time will tell and worth the risk for a pick swap. Reward outweighs the risk.

Overall looking to my team I have a powerful midfield unit. Walsh, Brayshaw, Cerra, Smith, Mills, Rowell round out a powerful midfeld unit with Jordan Clark (whom I expect to get back status) to boot and Redden averaging 90 odd as backup. Throw in Reilly O’Brien who I hope to get back to an 100 average and Marshall who can ruck/go forward and fair to say I won’t have to worry about the on ball department for a while. All in the perfect age range for me. Down back Burton, Bonner, Dale, Rivers and Bramble round out an exciting mix of youth and proven scorers. Rioli I’m hoping can surprise with an average of 75+ and Henry is a kid to work with. Forwards are thinner, but Marshall, Gresham and Perkins whom I’m hoping can take a step up is a good starting point.

I inherited a bottom side team a few years back and hoping to push towards top 4 now, although I think I’m maybe 1 year from seriously challenging. Either way should be a fun season, looking to challenge in both leagues.

3 Likes

Thanks all.

Can’t even remember what I traded and who I sent where.

Picked up Rotham and Narkle from crazy, in exchange for Gresham. Was happy to let Gresham go due to his injury history, but am acutely aware that I might have just let an A grader go. Rotham helped with my luck of defensive depth, and taking Narkle was a player who could potentially replace Gresham’s midfield output and who is the same age.

Also did a deal with the Ant for Naughton. Was unsure about how to shape my forward line with a bunch of guys who I was undecided between. Doing the deal made it a bit easier to decide.

Overall this was an interesting trade period for me. I had no idea what I was starting with, no idea how the trade period would progress, no idea what the draft shapes up like and how to use that to shape a team. Watching trade period play out helped me understand a bit better, although I still don’t have a clear vision of what to do with this team I’ve inherited. Still, looking forward to the draft and especially seeing how my early-ish picks shake out. I have a player that I’m keen to get hold of for the long term bit no idea if they will get to my pick. Fingers crossed!

3 Likes

Agreed. Especially since i was offered pick 65 while i was waiting for you to post it…

1 Like

As tempting as it was to sell my picks to Sal on the last day I was all about securing 2 very early picks to get the best talent. Majority of my team is 23 and under and I’m looking for continued success for years to come.

Brought in pick 4 to ad to my pick 2 and added Naughton and Liam Ryan up forward.

So really pumped and can’t wait til draft day.

So have the dates changed?

2 Likes

No draft will start on Tuesday

Squads are updated. I have put a mark next to those players you have traded in given these have to be keepers. Please select your keepers on UF. You will only be able to select those who were in your team last season. Therefore if you have traded in 2 players you only need to select 18 players. I will allocate the remaining 2 players.

2 Likes

there’s no fixed date for seedsman, sounds like there’s every chance he retires. https://www.afl.com.au/news/705248/were-not-going-to-take-any-risks-crows-cautious-after-wingers-paul-seedsman-worrying-concussion

so can an LTI seedsman?

and do we have a ruling on anti vaxer darling?

is @saladin still the LTI commish?

Darling will be granted LTI status , it sounds like he’ll be on the Eagles inactive list.

I haven’t looked at the Seedsman situation .