2024 AFLW Squad - club article gets the squad wrong…

We’ve today cut Cutting and Doonan (and retired Wuetschner last weekend).

With Phillips set to return (bub was born end of October???) and 3 spots needed for the draft, we have -1 spaces and a few hours left for any pre-draft Cannons/Pioneers selections.

5 Likes

IT’S HAPPENING!

3 Likes

Now do Lila Keck next.

She’s good, but more importantly she’s exactly what we need.

1 Like

How many more do we cut?

I make it currently:

• 31 players (30 + Phillips)
  • 2 cut
  • 1 retired
  • 1 in

So we need to cut or (net) trade away 2 more just to get to the required 3 draft picks.

2 Likes

The problem with the team is they only have about three class players. Opposition coaches only need to look at the Blitz votes to see who they are. Close down these girls and game over.

Yet…
Those three players were never really ‘closed down’.
It’s really the others that need to develop further and help out those three.

We’ve built the team to set a culture. One that mimics what we had at VFLW level. That may pay off, it may not.
It’s tough when you are competing against teams who have had multiple pre-seasons, set up their departments and systems and also developed players for five years. They’ve had their failures and learned from them, we’re still trying to work out what works for us.
It’s no wonder the teams that were in the comp since 2017 have been able to maintain their spots towards the top of the ladder each season.

We’ve actually improvement throughout the season. The Geelong and Richmond games were us at our peak. It was a disappointing to lose 3 of our last 4 games. We could have achieved more, but we did well just to reach finals with that draw. We played 1 bottom 4 team (and lost to them), no top 4 teams, but almost every team that finished 5th to 14th.

I think we’ll be around the same mark next season. There won’t be too many changes other than the ones that are necessary. With a list of 30, it’s going to be tough to bridge the gap on the top four teams when you have to take on 3 new draftees every year.

3 Likes

BREAKING:

The club has delisted Alana Barba and Renee Tierney

https://www.instagram.com/p/C00LLQfPCqw/?e=7ea4a056-daf8-49c8-9953-8b02171fcc62&g=5

2 Likes

Ooofffttt they are both real harsh delistings.

sigh

Squads of 30 are bullshit.

If we get Gay in the next 60 minutes, someone else (could be Phillips) also has to go out.

Yeah the squads of 30 sucks. I’m not super surprised about either delisting given it had to be someone but agree it feels rough

1 Like

Alana at the club today, getting Daria to her first resumption of kicking of the ball?

3 Likes

Given the delistings so far it seems like the next/last (?) to go could be p much anyone who wasn’t cemented in the best 21 this season

Marshall hoping Phillips doesn’t come back.

2 Likes

FWIW, we may be elevating someone to spot #30 to replace Bannister next year.

2 Likes

I did not see those two coming.

1 Like

Courtney got filtered away.

One by one the VFL flag team being dismantled.

Tough calls with just 30 players on the list.
We’re still a bit away from the top 4 teams, so it’s tough to balance developing players vs bridging that gap.

The next two ‘weakest links’ are Dani and maybe Lily (only because she has barely gotten on the park).

Hopefully some of the delisted players can find their way onto our VFLW team.
I suspect some will keep trying to find a spot at AFLW between now and xmas, then look at VFLW in the new year.

1 Like

Still shattered for Fede a year on. These list sizes are bullshit.

1 Like