2024 FF Original Discussion Thread

Saracens 1, 2024 Draft Wrap.

Ever had an instinctive feeling of foreboding and difficulties? The moment i saw the Player positions allocated by Fantasy Footy to several of my keepers, i knew a problematic offseason was in the vicinity. To compound matters, the League announced that the new ground layout would include 7 starting midfielders. Someone ring a large Texan city and inform them that things are not without complication.

So we made some decisions in trade week to try to fill what was looking like a cavernous , err, cavern in the midfield. We traded out our first pick for Will Day. We traded some later picks for Paddy Dow and Lachie Sholl. We traded a very late pick for Cal Ward. Now, we think Will Day is on the runway to stardom. Only problem is, heā€™s blown a tyre and no one is quite sure when the new one is due. Still, we knew that and accepted that heā€™d probably miss the first three rounds or so. What we didnā€™t realise was that Paddy Dow is also likely to miss the first three or four weeks as well. We thought he would be pushing for Round 1. Heā€™s also not guaranteed a game, but we think heā€™s good enough to be starting 22 at his new club once rolling. Lachie Sholl is an old favourite, and the kid can absolutely score well in this game. The risk is that the Crows coaching box seem determined to make him something that heā€™s not. But the late trade for Ward gave us a little bit of cover for the early round troublesā€¦

Selection 27. Kane McAuliffe.

Was in two minds strategically here. Take a kid or try to solidify the list. The deletion of the LTI meant , effectively, two less players on which to survive a season. My strong suspicion is that this season will be a heavily attritional one, so overall I was looking for a draft of more seasoned players. But McAuliffe , an excellent allround mid who wins his own footy, being at Richmond made him more possible as I think Yze will transition to his next generation fairly early. Jack Ross is one with a few seasons in the tank, but after that? Early reports from Richmond VFL practice matches have been very positive, albeit a level down Heā€™s definitely more one for the future, and with a 7 mid layout is probably even more likely to be a keeper for 2025. But I can see him playing this year.

Pick 49. Judd Mcvee.

With bankable midfielders already scarce, we noted that an alternative was to ensure enough backline options to use Daicos in the middle, though it wasnā€™t the preference. Mcvee offered a rare combination of youth and seemingly good job security. Once he debuted , he didnā€™t miss a game in 2023. Should have some natural upside and uses the ball well. The other one here that we were hoping for was Seamus Mitchell, but he didnā€™t make it, and in hindsight was another player to add to our "wonā€™t play the first month " collection.

Pick 72. Cody Weightman.

With a defender taken, we applied similar thinking to Shai Bolton as a mid and were hunting for a forward who would play most weeks and hopefully offered potential to improve. We had settled on Willie Rioli at this pick and counted down the selections. Unfortunately, AB got in first ! Weā€™d been pondering on how the Bulldogs would look and their possible improvement and it felt like better supply to their forwards might see Weightman become a more reliable scorer.

Pick 81. Bailey Macdonald.

Things got a bit frantic here. We had a burst of picks every 10 or so, a swag of names written down but unsure in which order to take them. When we had zeroed in on Seamus Mitchell and Judd Mcvee earlier, Macdonald had also cropped up as a young mid with big upside. He was recovering from a fracture, but was close to being ready for season start. Similar to McAuliffe, a selection with an eye on the future but not necessarily the right choice at this pick strategically with 2024 in mind.

Pick 92. Caleb Marchbank.

Iā€™m a believer in Marchbank. If fit, heā€™ll play. Itā€™s the first bit that is the problem. Currently out with a virus, of all things. Presumably glandular fever. The scant reports I could find suggested he was now recovering. If he plays, I can see him being in our 18 regularly Itā€™s a pick for the now, and a pick for a long season.

Pick 99. Jamie Elliott.

Firmly in ā€œget a player to fill the gapsā€ mode on this one as well. We can envisage this season hinging heavily on who can avoid donuts and when. A plug and play for when injuries inevitably strike.

Pick 110. Lewis Young.

Whatever draft plans you can dream up through this part of the draft became even more irrelevant than usual in the space of two round Zero matches. Coleman did an ACL 50 minutes into the season. Year over. And Ward popped his AC joint for a two month holiday. At best. So suddenly we were in more depth trouble and any thoughts of scouting for a kid, or a ruck prospect et al went into the shredder. The only slight rationality here was " if Marchbank is out, then Young is probably in". If the injury gods eventually give us a break, Young is probably first candidate to jettison.

Pick 117. Brayden Preuss.

We had wanted to find a third ruck cover and whilst heā€™s out for a while, Preuss might be useful come mid year , possibly even as a trade piece. Heā€™s a good player, if hd plays. Iā€™d have liked someone else , all things considered, but the cupboard was pretty bare.

Pick 127. Hugh Greenwood.

The Ward injury had to be addressed, but the options were far from palatable. The available mids were few, and an aggregate of players simply unlikely to play. The only one I could vaguely make an objective case for was Greenwood, and even that was only if Norths collection of young kids ran out of steam. That said, Simpkin might miss with concussion, Thomas has been kicked out of the club and Greenwood kicked four goals in the reserves. If they need a solid body, Clarkson might turn to Hugh. A literal roll of the dice, and we expect to cop some midfield donuts early in the season.

Pick 158. Judson Clarke

We faced a long break to our final pick so there wasnā€™t a great deal of planning worthwhile. Iā€™d been considering Clarke and McAdam at the previous picks so they sat on the list as other players were crossed off. My preference was for Clarke, partly because heā€™s currently not injured, and partly because I had him last season and I think his kicking skills will still forge him a career. As per McAuliffe, in the very near future Yze is going to get games into his kids. He gives us another youngster with potential to grow, which we also like. Especially with Coleman gone and less likely to be really pushing for the top 4 finish now. In the end it was academic, as the Allblacks took McAdam off the draft board.

At the end of all this, it was a fairly non typical draft for us. But thatā€™s ok, it needed to be. We are going to limp through the opening rounds, and weā€™ve already copped two severe blows to the list flexibility. We donā€™t have enough midfielders, period. But if / when we get a few players back, we might discover that we have both the talent, and the depth, to ride out a long season where player availability is going to count even more than previous seasons. A war of attrition beckons for all sides. So best of luck to all coaches for the year ahead. Now, letā€™s get this thing started.

Projected ideal 22 (minus Coleman).

Backs : Marchbank, Blakey, Rivers, Burton , McVee

Centres : Newcombe, T Green, Day, Kennedy ,Bolton, Daicos, Sholl

Ruck.-.Soldo

Forwards - Dusty, Pickett, Lynch, Powell, Wright

Bench - P Dow, Weightman, Macdonald , Ryan.

2 Likes

When is next trade period? Lol I have something for @AVanderScreamer

Mid Season Trade Period is between Rounds 12 to 15 (the bye rounds).

2 Likes

Bit of a nightmare week for me with Parish ruled out, Macrae seemingly out of favour and now Sinclair out as well.

Combined with position changes and on field structure changes with no draft collateral Iā€™m likely to be two short this week in the mids.

PRE-SEASON WRAP

DRAFT STRATEGY

Out with the old and in with the new. Reilly Oā€™Brien and Jack Steele were traded out, improving the draft hand with a couple of extra first rounders and a second rounder. This is a continuation of last yearā€™s strategy when Docherty, Dusty, Sidebottom, Lyons and Tuohy were moved on for draft capital and young talent (Gulden).

The priority was to add more young talent to the list, and build a nucleus of keepers that can take this team to the promised land. Weā€™re two years into a complete rebuild, and the results last year were ugly at times, but in the second half of the season there were green shoots, when we performed to the standard of a mid-table team.

DRAFT SELECTIONS

Pick 1 - Harley Reid (WC)
I gave a lot of thought to Sanders, whose preseason performances were super impressive, but stuck with Reid as he looks like a player who will retain dual position status long-term. Sanders is also dual-position, but from what Iā€™ve seen full time midfield duties await.

Pick 12 - Jake Rogers (GC)
I was hoping Read would fall to this pick, as I need a ruckman, or that someone like Windsor, Curtin or Watson would slip through. I gave a lot of thought to taking Leake at this selection, but Rogers stats were too hard to ignore. He averaged 22 possessions for the Allies and likes to tackle.

Pick 17 - Sam Durham (Ess)
Pretty happy to grab a walk-up best 22 player here who will be given more opportunities to find the ball in a new role. I had him on my list previously, and regret letting him go, so it was nice to bring him home.

Pick 19 - Will Graham (GC)
Graham looks like he will get opportunities early. He played both preseason games and was named emergency for R0. I definitely need to find a couple of long-term defenders, and Graham fitted the bill.

Pick 30 - Harvey Thomas (GWS)
Another player who looks like he might get a look early. Has played all positions on the ground as a junior, when he showed a knack for finding the footy. He looked pretty handy in R0 too.

Pick 37 - Archie Roberts (Ess)
Happy to bank this pick for the future. Positions should open up at Essendon in the next few years, and track watchers have been impressed with Roberts so far. His junior stats suggest a promising fantasy football prospect.

Pick 55 - Sam Naismith (Rich)
The ruck run had started, and I had my eye on Naismith as someone who will play a lot of senior footy. I thought Yze would run with two rucks, and they did just that in R0. But Naismith and Ryan were both dropped for R1, with Yze preferring Nankervis as the lone ruckman for Carlton.

Pick 73 - Ben Miller (Rich)
Hedging my bets here with the Richmond ruck situation. Miller was a fixture in the Richmond team in the second half on 2023, and I rationalised that one of Naismith or Miller would be a good chance of getting a game as support for Nankervis.

Pick 91 - Bodhi Uwland (GC)
I know that Uwland is considered best 22, and I was looking for a young player who can fill a defensive spot each week. Itā€™s quite possible that Uwlandā€™s game is not expansive enough to provide great fantasy football value, but itā€™s worth rolling the dice. Earlier draft selection Will Graham could well replace him in the Gold Coast side in time.

Pick 109 - Cooper Stephens (Haw)
Iā€™ve already delisted Stephens, and replaced him with free agent and fellow Hawk Bodie Ryan.

DRAFT SUMMARY

I think we got the right mix of acquiring young talent and finding enough players who will start each round, though the ruck situation is concerning after Richmond dropped Naismith after the opening round. From what I can tell there are no ruck prospects in the free agency pool that will be playing seniors this week.

Reid was probably the safe bet, but I wouldnā€™t be surprised if Sanders proves to be the better fantasy footballer. Rogers, Graham, Thomas and Roberts are all upside picks who could prove to be fantasy gold or complete misses. If two of those four make the grade Iā€™ll be happy. Durham at 22yo fits the age profile of this list, and I wouldnā€™t be surprised to see his scoring explode this year as he gets more opportunities around the ball. Naismith, Uwland and Miller were all picked to maximise the chances of having a 18 scorers each week.

BACK LINE

Chapman, Hough and Wilmot are excellent prospects who quickly cemented their spots in their respective team and shown an ability to score. Iā€™ll need to find another couple of players to join them if this team is going to consistently put together high scores, with Cowan and Graham perhaps the most likely.

MIDFIELD

The midfield is already looking reasonably strong. Gulden and Warner are two of the best young mids in the game, while Henry and Durham and primed for breakout years. Ginbey showed a lot last season, while Angwin, Rowston and Rogers are all first round draft picks that have untapped potential.

RUCKS

:face_vomiting:

FORWARDS

Harley Reid looks likely to play defence and midfield this year, but I suspect he will play plenty of time forward of centre in the future. Brown looks primed for a breakout year. He is an athletic freak who kicked five goals against Collingwood last week. Similarly Dempsey and Harrison are gifted athletes. Dempsey has impressed in preseason and looks a likely R1 started, while Harrison is on the cusp of a strong Collingwood outfit. Thomas has already debuted for GWS in his first season, while Henry is one of the more accomplished young players in the comp, kicking 41 goals as a 20yo forward.

BEST TEAM

Backs:
H. Chapman (Freo)
D. Wilmot (Bris)
B. Hough (WC)
M. Oā€™Connor (Geel)
C. Idun (GWS)

Reserves: B. Uwland (GC), L. Cowan (Carl), W. Graham (GC), A. Roberts (Ess), B. Ryan (Haw)

Mids:
E. Gulden (Syd)
Ch. Warner (Syd)
R. Ginbey (WC)
L. Henry (StK)
S. Durham (Ess)
J. Ross (Rich)
B. Fiorini (GC)

Reserves: R. Angwin (GWS), H. Rowston (GWS), J. Rogers (GC)

Ruck:
S. Naismith (Rich)
Reserve - B. Miller (Rich)

Forwards:
H. Reid (WC)
O. Henry (Geel)
C. Brown (GWS)
O. Dempsey (Geel)
J. Mead (P.A)

Reserves: H. Thomas (GWS), H. Harrison (Coll), B. Dowling (Adel)

5 Likes

Anyone wanting to play AFL Fantasy classic - I have reactivated the Bomberblitz league from last year. The code is:

37CZSDZC

Joined!

I joined Jess Wuetschnerā€™s league and itā€™s already confused my login no end. Itā€™s a maze trying to find my blitz team

1 Like

I was praying to any god who would listen for Graham to make it to my pick 24, should be a great player for you

Iā€™m absolutely livid Jake Kelly gets named after no preseason and Hind is an Emergency after being our only decent small forward all preseason

I seem to have a full team.
So thatā€™s nice.

Best of luck, @redbull

1 Like

Seven mids has to be the worst decision ever.

1 Like

Iā€™m a fan of 7 mids myself.

Very excited I kept Bruest now I see that hawks fwd line on paper, could kick a bag each week stretching teams small defender stocks

1 Like

The lack of multi positional players to begin with is rough going.
I should have 7 mids.
I think 6 mids and 6 forwards would have struck a better balance to begin with.

Walter and Sheldrick are out injured. Cook not selected.
Every other player at least made it to emergencies so my list balance is set pretty well so far.
Still think 1 have 1 too many forwards and lack 1 dependable defender.

1 Like

Iā€™m going to be one short in the midfield. Not surprised.

I do have a couple of playing bench players but unfortunately both are forwards so really itā€™s only one.

And is there any way to see available free agents only? The ā€œplayersā€ tab shows every player in the comp.

1 Like

Dusty already in the centre square, AFL fantasy decided heā€™s only a forward. Itā€™ll solve a problem if he earns Mid status.

2 Likes

Hopefully, thereā€™s more F to FC and B to CB than C to FC or CB.
Some F to FR and B to BR would be handy too.

1 Like

Does everyone have access to team breakdowns under the league overview tab?
On the website only.

Will be 2 short. Really thought Bryan would be getting a game with Scotts preference for 2 rucks.

Hinkley decided Burgoyne isnā€™t worth a round 1 spot after 2 good preseason games had hurt as well

The live progress scores on AFL Fantasy are pretty cool and a welcome return.

3 Likes