#21 Dyson "Go jam it” Heppell - 200th game this week (Part 1)

From here on any uses of the “S” word will be reported to the police as hate speech, you monster.

And its still relevant.some take the Nobby Clarke voting as gospel to determine how well a player has performed. Some are still surprised Goddard finished 2nd in the b and f.

I don’t think anyone is really surprised the club voted Goddard there.
Just as they’re not surprised that literally no other award had him anywhere near that.
Anywhere near.

Some just look at headline numbers to determine a players effectiveness - Actually it’s too many who fall this trap - I was rapt that JD a key forward won the b and F - As I am happy that Ryder and Dixon went 1 and 2 in the Power B and F - It’s more than a midfielders game.

Yes, it was nice to see Daniher poll so well in the MVP.
But again, the club and only the club rated Goddard where they did.

Yeah - And the club understands a players role better than you and me - So much sulking over Goddard’s 2nd place in the B and F - And to think a few believe Goddard is not best 22 - Maybe he’ll fall of the cliff in 2018.

2 Likes

It could always be because the club knows what they expected of him and how he performed the task as assigned rather than just judging him from afar. All the “other” places you speak of are just people making determination based on stats and what they have seen rather than internal KPIs.

And the umpires, and the gameday coaches, and the players, and the fans, and every single media award.
That’s just a fact.

I completely agree with your first comment.
They rated Goddard on a role.
I can’t agree with the rest given Daniher was our highest polling MVP player.
Blitz doesn’t really give a rats about stats, either.

So we can say the coaching group at EFC is incompetent ?

Shut up, yaco.

Daniher is exciting and out there and a media darling. Of course they rate him highly and ignore the guy down back who is quietly doing the role that is required to make Daniher stand out.

Yep.
Fair enough.
But Kelly got 4 Brownlow votes for us and Goddard got none.

I don’t actually have a problem with where Goddard polled in the B&F. In the predictions prior to the night I had him third (missed it by that much).

What I have a problem with is the…insinuation…that’s probably mild but we’ll go with that, that the club’s rating is the only true one and all others are wrong.

And that is fair to a point. Most of the awards are done by people who like eye-candy players though. For them it is about selling the game. In a promo are you going to see Goddard or are you going to see Walla, JoeDan, Stringer, etc? Are the media going to be interested in a Goddard type (well they are if he does something wrong like Pretzelgate) or a Dusty who loves to straight arm a player in the throat and get the crowd going?

I don’t rate most awards at seasons end. I only rate the Brownlow because it is tradition, not because they always get it right (of which we know they do not).

2 Likes

I thought he’d be up there, as did yaco.

Good call by us.

1 Like

They’re all true for what they are, someone on here used to say ‘context is king’.

I think a lot of players would rather be respected and rated by their own club and coaches than by anyone else. Which, again, is not to say it’s the best and everything else is rubbish, but I think it’s pretty important as far as accolades and ratings go.

Generally speaking, individual awards in footy are just fluff for the public. They mean nothing. All clubs hammer the same thing into players, from the very first day - team is everything. Over and again, this is proven with a great team beating a team of greats consistently. Individual feats, like best goals, best marks, are arbitrary, and serve as spectacles only. So although it’s all fun and part of the enjoyment of the sport, players rightly consider what their peers and coaches think of their work as part of their job, and the rest is their media commitment. Of course, it fantastic to be acknowledged and awarded by the public/media for specific skills, or consistently great performances, but that has little to do with the team aspect of a team sport. It’s not a foot race.

Is your point that the same group of people who actually vote for the Nobby, tend to agree with the results?

Staggering revelation.

1 Like

Nah - They whinge when the EFC, B and F results are markedly different to the Nobby Clarke Award.

Does anyone actually live and die by the Nobby Clarke results or is it just something yaco is saying?

3 Likes