#21 Dyson "Go jam it” Heppell - 200th game this week (Part 1)

Sad emo body language. Looks mentally weak.

Did he sing the national anthem with his hands behind his back or on his hips?

Did he stand too close to his teammate?

Did his hair impede his costume?

This club is farked!

Am I doing it right?

Really struggled in the latter half of the year as to be expected. The season is a long grind and with another pre-season and continuity (which he didn’t have coming into this season as some seem to forget), i’ve got full confidence that Hep will return to his damaging and consistent best. Questioning his captaincy is strange, he is the perfect bloke to lead us to our next period of sustained success.

1 Like

Is he having a dig at Colyer?

10 Likes

Hope he returns to close to 2014 form next year, but as I said in another thread - 2019 the keys should be handed to the next generation - including Z Merret as Captain.

He can just focus on footballing

It won’t happen.

Not sure on the captaincy, so much of it is a “behind closed doors” type of evaluation. I am a bit critical of his year though, I don’t think he ever really got a consistent run of strong performances. It will be fascinating to watch him 2018 as he will inherit the number 1 contested player tag from Jobe and his role will change as a result significantly. A change that I think he is far more suited. Considering our struggles this year, he shapes as almost our most important player. If we can’t start scoring and defending better from stoppages we aren’t really going to progress.

Back him in FFS

FFS

4 Likes

Provided it is all Wada approved.

Handy player at best. But not a captains ar$e hole.

Needs a haircut.

He actually looks and sounds like a total bogan, at least we can fix one thing. Cut his hair before the season starts.

Hard to think of an Essendon captain who looks and sounds as silly as Dys.

It was great when he started, and it seemed like oh yeah a laid back character that’s a nice change of pace. But as captain, it just doesn’t fly.

1 Like

There is reasonable criticism and then there is farkwittery…

6 Likes

Another on the high dose of VANILLA @conjunctivitus

Hope this is supposed to be ironic.

I’m being half serious, half joking.

I sometimes cringe when I see his press conferences, he has a teenagers haircut.

I am very much in the let Dyson do it for another 2 years camp, then it’s the Zach and Andy show.

Didn’t really agree or care much but last night at the AFL MVP awards he looked like and spoke like he just rocked up to the Frankston FC’s annual pie night. Then he awarded the best first year player to mcgrath who came up in a suit and spoke very clear and concise. Interesting when dyson was asked the question of how he rated his own season he avoided the question, i was hoping to hear how he rated it. Seems to enjoy doing a lot of the media work, almost the most visible captain in the comp these days on tv/radio/social media etc.

1 Like

Seems to be more of the latter than the former recently.

No one on here knows what sort of Captain he is behind closed doors, People are basing it on the fact he has stupid hair, speaks laconically when interviewed, and isn’t as good a player (yet?) as James, Jobe and Matthew.

Kids on a hiding to nothing, he’s what 25, been out of the game for a year, had to get to know a whole bunch of new teammates (beyond the normal draft intake) as well as fit back into the team, get to know a new Coach, new game plan and take on the Captaincy.

FFS give the kid a year to find his feet FFS

5 Likes

See, this is why I can’t take this ■■■■■■■ website seriously, people are complaining about a man’s haircut for ■■■■’s sake and aren’t being facetious. FMD. I couldn’t give two ■■■■■ what he looks like as it has zero bearing on his ability to lead.

As for all the people complaining that he isn’t captain material or he’s an average player how about you let the man have a full and proper pre-season and see how we go next year? Him and Hurley will come back firing after a full pre-season and Hep will have a year of captaincy under his belt and will be all the better for it.

4 Likes

What annoys me about this website is people getting ■■■■■■ off with other people’s opinions.
Clealy some people believe that how he carries himself, his appearance and his general demeanour is a reflection on the club and by extension his ability to lead. Others don’t.
Just because you don’t think it is so doesn’t mean that others don’t have a valid point.
Ability to lead is based on being able to get others to follow. You can name anyone you like as capatain, players can choose the most popular but if other players are disengaged for any reason and the captain can’t bring them on board then they are not going to be able to lead. This is what I believe was the problem with Ablett at the GCS.
I am not saying that is the case here by any stretch of the imagination.
What I am saying is that others opinion on the matter should be respected. They may well know something that others don’t and they may not. But they are entitled to an opinion.

9 Likes

I couldn’t care less about his hair. And i obviously have no idea about how he is behind closed doors. I judge him purely in his in field performance…

And thus, he is a handy player, at best…but he is not a captain’s ar$e hole.

Been a supporter for nearly 40 years, and i cant think of a previous essendon captain that would’ve dropped that mark at the end of the first quater on saturday. Yeah, mistakes happen. But hes just not captain material. We’ll never win a premiership with him as captain.

As a member of this great football club, I am allowed to speak for myself.

And as such, I don’t think it should be acceptable that some supporters (it may or may not just be me) feel embarrassed and cringe when our captain, the captain of the biggest football club in Australia does a press conference.

I love Dys as a player, and believe he will get back to his usual self next year playing wise, but being a captain is SO much more than just on field performance. A captain is the face of our club, and with that I would expect comes some sort of expectation of how they present themselves to the public.

I would challenge anyone here who disagrees with me to show me another senior employee of a multi million dollar business who has blonde dread locks.

1 Like