#21 Dyson "Go jam it” Heppell - 200th game this week (Part 1)

The thing that impressed me most about Heppell’s intra-club game was his 1%ers.

That goes for a lot of players, actually, but Heppell’s really stood out.
Taps to advantage, blocking, just…shoving the ball on into a teammate’s path, getting the ball to the right side.
It’s something we were amazing at a long time ago, deplorable at for a long time, and something that’s a basic part of other good teams (particularly Adelaide, they’re exceptional at it).

7 Likes

I agree with you wim, seemed to be a marked improvement on team 1%ers. How many times in the last 3-4 years did players not block? shepherd, run with for overlap? If we can see some total team defence i reckon going far into september isn’t unreachable. I reckon smith and mcgrath into the midfield will make life so much easier for zachy.

Go back 12 months the bloke was jogging around the intra club looking a long way from it. This year his preseason has been spot on. Tackling it hard, is focused and looks right at home in the thick of it. Not sure if it’s the beard but he looks better proportioned, a solid physical specimen. Reckon his captaincy is looking more rounded too.

Great to hear

Is that in comparison to BJ’s more “ pointy” captaincy?

8 Likes

BJ’s is saltier. Like a pretzel.

Possible B&F winner long shot prediction here, smokey brownlow too

With who he is and what he has at his disposal I feel everyone is underestimating the difference he can make in games on a consistent level this season

There was at least 3 games he stamped his name on last year, that could go up to 8 to 10 this year.

Looking good in pre-season, fit, healthy, played under the radar a bit last year while we rescuffled the midfield.

My wild card entry for our best player 2k18 is dois.

6 Likes

The fact that it is a long-shot prediction (and I agree btw) highlights the quality of the list compared to years past.

I’m a massive fan of Heppell. Loved him from his first season. Loved how he found the ball with ease and looked so composed and classy. Seems like a very serious and driven person. He saw what Watson brought to the captaincy and how to lead by example and to give your all. And to win games for the side. Having him back to his best is a very exciting proposition.

9 Likes

Yeah from what we seen and heard from him during the pre season he looks fit and driven to lead this club going to have a massive 2018

once we start consistently doing this, then we will become a legit threat. Been missing from our game for way too long

3 Likes

So what do you guys think about heppell as our captain?
During the final last year alot of people questioned his leadership.
Is he the right man to lead us?
Is he too “laid back” to lead us?
Thoughts?

hopefully jlt2 they actually do it.

He’s the right man.
Stupid topic

Donnington, pls.

2 Likes

Was a learning year as captain for him last year he’s going to have a ripper season.

Thoughts?
This time around you have only gone a half Donnington.

The only question regarding his elevation to captain was whether Jobe should go around for one more year or not. Jobe is no longer here.

Just ask the playing group. Thats all that matters.

“Yeah, nah. Sweet as.”

3 Likes