#21 Dyson "Go jam it” Heppell - 200th game this week (Part 1)

Was critical in and around the play today in making sure we had a presence at each subsequent contest.

Yep, kicking was a bit mediocre but the “effective” percentage is often misleading. A couple of really poor turnovers, but in general we got decent field position from his kicks even if not necessarily hitting team mates on the chest.

2 Likes

He was everywhere, but his disposal was pretty disappointing.

I don’t necessarily agree. He turned certainties into 50/50s far too often

He’s very poised and rarely gets caught but he doesn’t attack. His kicks are invariably sideways or backwards.

And I’m with those who think it’s time he got a haircut. If he wants to present himself as a rebellious schoolboy then he has every right to do so. But it would be good if he decided to present himself as a mature professional football player and the captain of a strong, focussed club.

1 Like

BJ had 89% DI.

Really? i have inprinted in my brain the kick ins that achieved nothing and missing the easiest pass of his life to darcy in the 4th.

Yep, they were probably his two errors for the day

Yeah i should apologise to him. i think im attributing some of the absolute bewildering decisions by zaka and hepp with their kicking to him as he was involved in the 1-2s.

1 Like

Hepp was never this unreliable by foot early is his career.

Not sure what’s gone wrong there.

Kicking was pretty mediocre, but we never would have won without Bison today.

3 Likes

It’s because he had a sharp short back and sides haircut when he started his career… no wait…

2 Likes

Pressure ratcheted up that much since 2011, plus midfield instead of half back, plus would get 10x more work put into stopping him now.

Agreed. Seems he isn’t aware of his limitations by foot though and he tries to bite off too much. Most of his shockers are when he tries to be too creative and go for the “money” pass instead of going the safer option. Needs to stick to extracting the ball and getting it out to our better users

3 Likes

His kicks when he is out in the open that concern me.

He has always looped his kicks but he’s taken that to a new level.

was really good today…except for his kicking which was very poor.

His work in close was top notch

1 Like

id be happy if his kicking were just average, but it really detracts from the good stuff he does.

needs to improve it really quickly or he will be found out as a footballer imo

Have you ever been in a leadership position?

2 Likes

Led the team well today. Kicking wasn’t fantastic however his effort was brilliant.

2 Likes

Was hard at it today, played like a leader. However, as has already been stated, kicking was subpar to say the least.

Interesting question about Heppell that a mate posed to me today.

What aspect of his game is he really good at?

He’s not a really good inside extractor.
He’s not a really good runner - he’s actually quite slow.
He’s not a really good kick by any means.
He’s not a big strong presence.

I still love the guy but its an interesting discussion. Elite good bloke? Is that about it?

(and yes, he has elite hair/beard, so don’t bother pointing that out)