#21 Dyson "Go jam it” Heppell - 200th game this week (Part 1)

What?
Aren’t the management and leadership skills obvious??

1 Like

Yep and in the first quarter he had 3 stinkers in a row and they goaled from one of them

1 Like

great captain. terrible kick of the footy.

maybe zmerrett could be captn. but he plays so well unburdened by it.

so maybe hepp is the best choice. he is better option than goddard.

IMO he could play the rest of his career and never have such an off-day with hitting targets by foot. Expect him to work hard on this - as he always does - and come out firing accurate darts against the pies. His immense influence - along with Jobe - in steering the group through the saga can never be over-estimated. He is a great captain, a worthy successor to Jobe.

3 Likes

Nope, i donr want that responsibility.
Altho i do know if i was in a keadership group, i shoulsnt br giving hugs as it could be miscontrued as sexual harrassment.
Que the footy is different though, to which id rrply well pretty much none of us have been in a football leadership group.

He did it again this weekend whwn he ■■■■■■ up a kixk and landed it inbetween tippa and hurley , qnd they went down for a goal.
He just always seems non plussed by his or others mistakes.

Compare that to zac or even devon smith whos been at the xlub foe 6 games now. He doesnt accept shut efforts, like i watch stringer closely and his effort so far as been pretty spot on.
He kicked ir to the wrong spot, qnd i 5hink port ran it back down for a goal , and smith was blasting him foe not kixking to thw right spot.
Smith was also one of the first with a big smile running down to stringer when he kicked i think his boundary goal.

People say don5 let your emotions get in the way , and to a degree that should be the case. But footy is an emotional thing.
Hepp just wanders around out there, seemingly indifferent to it all.
I get he is prolly still effect mentally by the saga, which is why imo he shouldnt have been made captain , and just left to comr back and try and find the joy in footy. Cos atm he doesnt look like he enjoys it, and is just going through the motions.

1 Like

Devon was filthy with his missed goal. Probably selff flagellating right now in disgust.

Good by you.
:joy:

The one thing we needed above all else yesterday was a committed 4 qtr effort in the contest, the captain provided it.

4 Likes

Watching the replay it seemed to me that a lot of his kicks were off one step or trying to move on quickly with kicks around his body or even around his opponent. This includes kicks from marks and frees.

Possibly needs to get back off the mark and compose himself.

I can’t remember him having this issue prior to 2016. With his return in 2017 it seems more pronounced.

He is a good player (for all my criticism) but this is reducing his effectiveness. In the first quarter he had 7 kicks and only one hit the target.

1 Like

I think Hepp’s effort yesterday was fantastic- he led by example & was vocal when needed. Kicking efficiency wasn’t his best but you can’t question the effort he put in for 4 quarters. Perhaps those criticising weren’t there.

LOL, absolutely nobody is questioning his effort.

If langford kicked as bad as hepp yesterday, he’d be shot and delisted.

7 Likes

couriered straight to the glue factory

left to rot in the field

If you want to hate-wank yourself into a lather over “elite” this and “pure” that, go for it.
He’s a ■■■■■■ good footballer. ■■■■■■ good at a lot of things.End of.

2 Likes

Appeared more vocal and willing to direct other players at set ups. Not as laconic as in the past, played with more presence. The kicking was woeful but will improve.

1 Like

Or just look up the definition yourself and learn something?

Long kicks to a contest are effective, whether your teammate mark it or not.

HAP, inflammatory question (because i know you love him as a contested mid), but if through some miracle guelfi and say a clarke cement themselves in the midfield as capably contested/clearances, would you be opposed to heppell being full time sweeper/intercepter?

reckon its total rubbish then, especially when gettable options are available.

Hey! I actually like him. Really like him. I just think it’s an interesting discussion. Most elite level mids have one or more aspects of their game that they are amazing at - great hands, great spread, visionary by foot etc. I was just saying that I don’t see what that characteristic is with Heppell. That’s not to say he isn’t a good player, he is, it’s just a discussion point.